1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey New to Fantasy

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Scully, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Scully
    Jungle Swarm

Scully New Member

Hey my name is Scully. I am new to Warhammer Fantasy and was wondering where to start when it comes to lore and fluff because those are my favorite things from other GW titles.

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

Which Warhammer Fantasy are you up to? 5th, 6th or perhaps 8th edition?
    Not sure but this might be important to which lore you want.

Some of our members might be able to help you out.
    Have fun with the hobby and on the forum. Ask any question you want to know the answer to ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!
    we're here to help, but you should give us more info:
    are you into WHFB or AoS?
    Do you look for fluff here on Lustria online, or generic sources, or both? :)

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I think he answered that one for you:
    Anyway, welcome @Scully to the jungle, always great to have more Fantasy players turn up! Do tell us which Edition(s) you play!

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

I noticed that, but when you're new to the game it's better to be sure. :)

7. Scully
    Jungle Swarm

Scully New Member

Honestly I like how every faction seems different in Fantasy they all have their unique styles. If I had to choose I would say WHFB but im not opposed to AOS.

8. Scully
    Jungle Swarm

Scully New Member

For editions I honestly haven't thought that much into it Which would you guys recommend. for a beginner into WHFB?

Imrahil likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

nod.gif

8th edition.

It has the largest player base of the WHFB editions and most of the WHFB discussion on this forum focuses on 8th edition (whether Lizardmen based or other armies). It also provides you with a greater diversity of units as compared to older editions where the number of units/models was much more limited. Lots of great units and models were released for 8th edition.

Additionally, 8th is a lot more balanced as compared to 7th edition.

I've heard good things about 6th edition but it's before my time. Anything prior to 6th edition is pretty old school and it may be difficult to find players and discussions to engage with.

Imrahil likes this.
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Always the ambassador of the 8th edition ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

[​IMG]

For a beginner I would say 6th/7th, because most game concepts were less complicated and army design and playstyle was at its most thematic here.

6th is the most basic and probably the most new player-friendly, with probably the best level of balance. It was before my time as well but this was the Edition where GW really cared most about Fantasy, with them releasing loads of little mini-lists as well as the main army books, and pretty much every major faction getting a good quality book.

7th refined those main rules in some good ways and most of its army books are fine to use, but a certain three armies (Dark Elves, Daemons of Chaos and Vampire Counts) were made particularly overpowered and you'll either have to agree with any friends who play those armies on some limitations to their books (most notably disallowing the spell that allows the former two to generate additional power dice), or for those armies to use their 6th Edition books. But then as a beginner you likely won't be playing in a competitive environment so I'm sure any opponents you have will be reasonable enough to consider such amendments. The one good thing about GW not having jurisdiction over Fantasy anymore is that house rules added to improve balance can be more readily employed now, so might as well make use of that freedom and fix GW's games for them, as they've never bothered too much in doing so themselves.

Alternatively, using the 7th Edition rulebook and the 6th Edition army books is a way to essentially get the best of both worlds.

Then when you've got the hang of these editions, if you wish you can choose to gravitate to 8th where the rules were expanded and changed significantly (in some good ways and some bad ways) and most armies got a few extra units to play with. The balance lies someway between 6th and 7th, with some armies still being overpowered because GW loved them and some being particularly underpowered because GW hated them, but the level of OP-ness did not get as bad as the certain three armies in 7th Edition mentioned above. I would still recommend adding some house rules to improve balance as with 7th, mind, as the way they treated some armies was despicable in this edition and any players wanting to play these weaker forces deserve some extra help.

The choice is yours anyhow. Best of luck in your Fantasy journey!

Imrahil likes this.
  12. Killer Angel
    Slann

people i know that have played both are all for 6th.
    But 8th (despite its flaws) it's pretty good.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Where is @Lizards of Renown when we need him? This discussion has his name written all over it.

!!!!!.png

Gotta vouch for the best edition! Plus, its player base is significantly larger.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.