1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Is the Terradon Chief mandatory if you are taking Terradons? (Mathhammer)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by karlsbc, Feb 3, 2021.

1. karlsbc
    Saurus

karlsbc Well-Known Member

I did some math regarding MW output per point invested in Terradons with and without Chief . I use to struggle when trying to fit a Chief in my lists because there's many good heroes, I wanted to check how Terradons do without him.

I have tested scenarios where we asume that the CP spent in the Chiefs CA cost 50 points, other where it's free, and one in between scenario (25 pts/CP).

There's important to take into account that units of 9 terradons can have difficulties in dropping 9 bombs at once or being wholly within 12" og the Chief when the command abilitiy is needed. But I think that most of people consider units of 6 + Chief as the sweet spot.

upload_2021-2-3_10-26-24.png

My conclusions are that:
    - Chief is never worthy to buff units of 3, as suspected.
    - The maths for buffed units of 9 should be taken with a pinch of salt because of limitations in output delivery
    - Chief+6 terras gives Terradons an increased and more reliable focused output when they are used as a hammer (although they're kind of a glass cannon). You can easilty average 10MW on an objective of your choice, one drop.
    - There's however litte difference in total output per point spent when using unbuffed terradons as support skirmishers. The upper side of it being that you can still split them in multiple MSU for better board control, give support into ongoing combat or even you can try to keep them alive to use as objective grabbers late game. In adition that way of playing allows you to spare a hero slot and a CP to spend elsewhere.
    - I suspect however that the most cost efficient way to use terradons and chiefs is to use 1 chief to buff 2 units of 6 on multiple objectives in one turn (if possible to pull it off).

2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Great post!

I normally only run the Chief if I have single unit of 9, or multiple units of 6, Terradons.

karlsbc likes this.
  3. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

This is great. Ive not found the chief to be that useful your positioning has to be so specific to be able to hit what you want to, be in range of the command ability and to keep them alive. Against any shooting force they fall apart, flamers? dead. crawlers? dead

LizardWizard, karlsbc and Tyranitar like this.
  4. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

This is helpful, thanks! I'm working on tweaking a FoS list and I was leaning towards cutting the terradon chief in addition to other adjustments to find points for a steg chief, this solidifies my decision to do so

LizardWizard and karlsbc like this.