1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Itz-Itza Tribe island lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Eau_de_Neil, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

My first small unit of skinks in what will hopefully be a loosely Polynesian/island themed army.

Individual square bases so I can play KoW and AoS. Apologies for the naff old GW movement tray - I found in my box of stuff from about 20 years ago - although it sort of works with the stone flooring!

Making extensive use of contrast to get an army painted pretty quickly. Lots more detail I hope to add in time - warpaint, designs on shields etc. Pleased with the simple conversion to create a standard bearer and musician using blowpipe and banner from the saurus knights.

Thanks for all the encouragement so far.

16434EB2-50B6-4B15-9C5B-C3C43AE20860.jpeg BDBAF27E-B624-4609-A531-FFFFE3DDDDCF.jpeg

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

These are great! Great work on the highlighting.

Noxolotl and Warden like this.
  3. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Thanks. I can’t take much credit on the highlighting - mostly the magic of contrast paints!

Warden likes this.
  4. Just A Skink
    Carnasaur

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

You know, I wasn't quite sure that pink was going to feel intimidating on Skinks, but I really like how you balanced it with the darker colors. That Volupus Pink is a pretty deep color. Well done!

Eau_de_Neil, Noxolotl and Warden like this.
  5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I like them! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the army as it continues to materialize!

Noxolotl likes this.
  6. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Finally completed the Start Collecting! Skinks box. Pretty basic use of contrast paints, but I figure I can add details (warpaint etc) later if I want to.

I’m quite pleased with the scheme, the pink skinks contrast nicely with the dark dinosaurs and bases. Still trying to get a kind of night time scheme, it sort of works…

Now onto the SC! Seraphon box…

D4E81BC1-2121-4838-98BB-5310E7EDA2D6.jpeg

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

These are amazing.

Just A Skink, Eau_de_Neil and Bowser like this.
  8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Fantastic work, they look great as a group!

Just A Skink and Bowser like this.
  9. King's Pawn
    Skink

King's Pawn Member

Those are so vibrant! Very tropical, what fantastic spread.

10. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Lovely. Id be interested in seeing what you do with that new sigvald burgundy.

Just A Skink likes this.
  11. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Nice! I've also been looking for ways to get decent detail out of speed-painting. I'll have to try the contrast paints!
    Your work on the Skinks' eyes is excellent. Do I see some green in there, along with yellow and black?
    On the Bastiladon, can I suggest flipping the highlighting scheme? This is something I've been learning about - things have bright edges when they're lit from the outside, but look like they're glowing when the brightest colors are the deepest in, working out towards dark colors. If the concave curves of the Bastiladon crystal were bright, and the edges dark, that might create more of a glow-effect.
    The colors on the Bastiladon's scales nail the nighttime theme, and the shading is really nice.