1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Joshua's adequate painting Blog.

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by jinjerJosh22, Oct 31, 2022.

1. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

Hello all, Joshua here and Welcome to my painting blog.
    This will be a journey through an ocean of grey, spanning through many ages covering a multitude of races from Lizard people riding around on bigger lizards to tiny green skinned Gitz ridding on a mouthful of teeth.

Coming back into this hobby I told myself I would do things differently from my childhood, focus on one or two factions, only start a new project when one is finished. You know the usual nonsense we all tell ourselves every new year before we see a great bargain on whatever second-hand websites are relevant, or GW announce a redesign of a stealthy group of assassins you didn't realise you have been waiting for your entire life ;)

This blog will hopefully serve to motivate me through those though times we all have when faced with that ocean that can be incredibly off putting only deepened by being motivated by the latest find.

So, to start here is what I worked on last night:
    upload_2022-10-31_15-32-30.jpeg
    (The Cold-one)
    upload_2022-10-31_15-33-31.jpeg
    (Trying to fight glare here is an edited photo messing with the contrast)

Quite happy with how it's turned out. I find the Cold-Ones really hard to paint, I'm not a huge fan of the design compared to the version before these, but they have grown on me over time.
    Still needs a bit of work, like the feathers on the head which always give me issues (wait for the next model:rolleyes:), I think I will paint them an orangey-red keeping it simple. Also, the base, but I think I will leave that for now until I can find materials I am happy with

Now what I plan on working on after the Saurus Knight: upload_2022-10-31_15-58-26.jpeg

I really like this model (bar the feathers :p), it has a nice readymade base which is a plus but overall, the design is really neat. Not to mention the value of the model within any force.
    I think I will go for the classic blue colour scheme, but we shall see. I like to look around for motivation before deciding and this time will be no different. I'm fond of my Kixi-Taka paint job (will upload later) which is inspired by Koatl's Claw, though I think for this one a lighter colour would be preferable.
    IMG_7578.JPG

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  2. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Lustria and welcome back to the hobby!
    I can assure you that keeping a blog here really helps.
    One note for you. Could you, please, post models with less vibrant background? I don't know if it is my phone (hence personal issue), but I can clearly see background artwork omitted by silhuette of model. :)

Imrahil and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  3. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Thank you :)
    Yeah, it's good artwork though :D but I figured I would have to do something about the photography anyhow. I think in the future I will setup a flock mat to take the photos I just need to clear my desk of clutter, which was in the planner today, still a few hours left I guess :p

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Good start of your blog!
    A blog really can help with getting projects done ;)

A tip for pictures. To get the colors across, I have found, it most often helps to take pictures with natural light.

I love the scale color on your Cold One. What colorscheme are you planning for your Sauri?

Grrr, !mrahil

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  5. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Thank you, I can already feel it. I think I've had the Starpriest since the end of June without touching it :eek:
    Good advice, I'll take all this into consideration for the next photos. Natural light, less colourful background.
    I was roughly following a video on it except I accidentally flipped the colours on the scales and the skin. Still really happy with the result, though for the next one I think I will follow the video a bit more closely. It's always nice to have a variety within the army.
    As for the Sauri I want to paint him something like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

That is an amazing color scheme, Gloomy Sauri with soft colored shields.

Good luck.

Grrr, !mrahil

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  7. VikingRage
    Razordon

VikingRage Well-Known Member

Yay! New paint blog to follow!

Great work, keep it up!

jinjerJosh22 and Imrahil like this.
  8. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Thank you, I hope you enjoy.

I'll try and post an update later today of what the Knights basically looked like before I decided to redo them.
    Warning will contain servilely graphic pictures of rushed and unloved Saurus Knights that some viewers may find distressing :p
    I'm not sure what it is about them but in the past (2 years and when they first came out) I struggled so much to give them a good paint job. It's not even about the colour scheme, putting the paint on them is just a chore. I thought maybe it was the underbellies having more flat surfaces than I would be typically used to. However, when I painted my Carno I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the process, so who knows?

This time is different :D

9. VikingRage
    Razordon

Would love to see it!, just remember to leave one as is so you always have a reference for how far you have come!

Most of my knights were picked up in an ebay joblot. not a lot of paint of them, but a loooooot of glue and cork.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  10. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Well, here they are: IMG_7594.JPG IMG_7595.JPG IMG_7597.JPG

Ironically, I don't think they look as bad in the photos but in person they are a true eye sore that I am not happy with. Though I am happy with the banner, I think this might be one of my best :D

Here is the unit in its entirety:
    IMG_7599.JPG

The three darker models are what I am currently working on and are actually already further along than in this photo which was taken yesterday. The Champion is as good as done (Minus basing and a few details here and there).

Here are the models I am working on this month:
    IMG_7600.JPG

11. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

They look great! Keep up the good work and repaint only if it makes you happy.

This honestly made me laugh as I have completely opposite experience. I finish mini, take a look and mentaly congratulate myself for doing great job. Then I take picture, look at it and have urge to slap myself for being so sloppy with details and not recognizing all those overbrushes and splashes of paint where they are not supposed to be. :D

Imrahil and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  12. VikingRage
    Razordon

I can see what you mean when Inzoom in close.

You indirectly decided the colors of my cold ones going forward...Black for the scales and orange to yellow for the skin!

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  13. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

The warriors are only getting a touch up, few details, scales could do with highlighting etc. The biggest reason for the Knights is that I was not happy with them. Now I am enjoying painting them something has clicked and the paint flows :D
    Thank You!
    Ooh, I look forward to seeing this.

14. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Hey, it's always a step towards improving.

Would you like to go step by step with painting a warrior? I'd happily give tips and advice to help you potentially find a way forward you are happy with.

I'm usually available 18/24 per day, so if you ping me I will respond within a few hours.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  15. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Thank you very much :D
    Though I am quite happy with where I am at with "Saurus" in general. These were painted almost 2 years ago at this point; I was happy with them at the time and then I more recently painted up a group of Saurus Guard, it was wonderful to see how much I had levelled up my painting. :D
    But nonetheless thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind :)

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Got any images of the guard?

17. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

Sure, here they are:
    IMG_7601.JPG IMG_7603.JPG IMG_7604.JPG
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

They're not perfect but I am very happy with them. Though now I can see lots of paint where it shouldn't be haha.
    I guess I also didn't highlight the scales on the shield or their backs. I guess I can add that to my "to do list"... maybe next month :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Images not showing. Looks like you are missing a backslash

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  19. VikingRage
    Razordon

I especially like the one on the far right!

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  20. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

I did a clever thing and deleted the images before copying them over from another thread :oops: Should be fixed :D

I remember the first one I painted up looking the best of the bunch, I think it is that one. They all still need some work, mostly details but the weapons especially. Man do I love these models.

Lizards of Renown likes this.