1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Joshua's Paint Blog - Back from the dead!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Joshua Horchler, May 8, 2018.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Amazing work on those skinks, I like the little red stripes on the tails :artist:

Here are Wappel's Armies on Parade pictures from back in 2011.

... in fact, @strewart has a post in the same thread detailing many of the magnificent projects of @wappellious!

Lizerd and tom ndege like this.
  2. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Update! EoTG 95% complete! I hope you like it! A batch of Skinks are next. Then 2 Basties and a Slann.
    2.JPG 2.JPG 1.jpeg 3.jpeg 6.jpeg 7.jpeg

Dragvindel, MackiMac, Lizerd and 5 others like this.
  3. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

This was also my first time making a jungle base. WIP.
    IMG_20180530_065901.jpg

4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Very nice, what have you got left to do on it?

5. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

Nice work!

6. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I need to finish the skulls, paint the rim and I think I might add another layer or two of flock to give some more variance. I want to get some darker moss as well to break up the bright colors for future bases.

Lizerd and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Update on a batch of Skinks i'm painting. I'm trying to improve/expand on my current painting method. I'm doing a lot of quick layering'prehighlights then Ill go back in with washes and glazes to tone it down. If you notice any "fuzzy" stuff on the Skinks, i had a ton of issues with Priming them. It has been so fing humid and I ruined a lot skinks....I'm going to try and soak them in cleaner and scrub it off, but it's primer so I might be in trouble.

Anyways take a look! i'll post more as I continue to work on them! (i see some mold lines... grrrrr)

IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2289.JPG IMG_2290.JPG IMG_2291.JPG

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Looking good. I struggle a bit with mine being too...monochromatic (but very quick to paint). Your Skinks look very organic, with nicely flowing, smooth color gradients.

Crowsfoot and Joshua Horchler like this.
  9. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thanks! You would be amazed at how fast you can lay down some meaningful layers with a wet pallet and the right sized brush. It only took me an hour to do 3-4 fast layers on all 10. I think what helps is mixing colors. GW range & is great, but I would encourage people to use other colors to brighten and darker their colors.I used 2-3 GW greens, I think Warboss green, Snarsnik and Caliban. Then I would mix some yellow and flesh tones into it my mix to lighten it.

I almost have all of the base colors complete on these guys. I can't wait for the wash/glaze part. It's my favorite. It really brings them to life. It also takes very little skill but makes you look like a pro :)

Crowsfoot, Aginor and tom ndege like this.
  10. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Beautiful work good sir, from the stegadon, to the skinks, to the howdah itself.

Well done, thanks for the glorious inspiration :pompus::artist::vulcan:

Crowsfoot and Joshua Horchler like this.
  11. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Teaser for new unit!! :) C83BEE30-6375-43EA-AAB9-F682A2A72114.jpeg

12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

13. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

They look really great!
    What do you use for the rocks on their bases? Looks like pine bark...

14. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

It might be haha. Its bark from a tree. I cleaned off all the growth on it and then baked in the sun for multiple days to dry it out. I hope it lasts! I literally have no idea how it will work. I just went for it.

Do you have any experience with it?

tom ndege likes this.
  15. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

As a landscape gardener I can say that it lasts long... under the right conditions... as a hobbyist I say: depending on the kind of tree it is from it might be a bit brittle when dry... but so you can break it into shape easier... and when soaked with white glue and painted it lasts forever... unpainted and without white glue it's possible that the main part gets loose while one layer (or 2-3-4) stays glued on... also depends on the kind of tree it is from... you work look quite solid... if it was to loosen you would have seen it when putting the minis in place...

Joshua Horchler likes this.
  16. Nightclaw
    Saurus

Nightclaw Active Member

I love the little red dots detail on the crests. Its such a simple and clean detail that really goes that extra little step to look great. Well done.

17. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thank you for the info! It is pretty hard and when I pin the minis it holds up really well. Are you saying before using it soaking it in mixture of water and PVA can help? Or just apply some things layers of PVA on it? I hope the spray paint and paint sort of locks it in for awhile. I threw out all the pieces I collected that had moss and we're soft. I only use the harder , 100% dry ones.

tom ndege likes this.
  18. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

All good! Just some layers of glue when applying stuff to the base should do the job... also paint has a stabilising effect so don't worry!

19. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

I use the Pine Bark like you did there too. I think that is probably the best material (outside of actual rocks) that can simulate stone on miniatures.

One thing to watch out for; if you pull it off a tree, you need to allow it plenty of drying time (like you said you did) so that you don't have any sap residue that can bleed through to your paint and flocking. (I discovered this the hard way.) I usually keep several pieces on my paint desk at all times, so that I can pull them whenever I need them and I don't have to wait days for them to dry out. Whenever I use some, I replace it and keep the stock turning over like that.

As for using the glue, I use PVA Glue with a drop or two of Super Glue on top. That combo will never come off (given a good connection). I'm an architect and have built hundreds of models and that combination has never failed me. (If you want an even stronger bond, try Rubber Cement + Super Glue - but that's not necessary with these models, FYI.) If you are using something really small, like wood chips, then a PVA Glue + water 50/50 mixture in a cheap spray bottle will permeate them nicely and keep them in place. If there is a strong smell to the flocking you want to get rid of, first spray with an Alcohol + Water mixture (50/50), let dry then use the watered down PVA spray. Works well.

20. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thanks for all the tips! I was worried about the long-term viability so I will definitely use some more glue and super glue to make it last.

I went in pretty blind. I saw online some people using bark so I just ripped some off a tree and went for it. I appreciate a more though out method haha.

Lizerd and Chicken Lips like this.