1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Learn how to sculpt here

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Jan 28, 2022.

?

What should we do? (read first post for more info)

1. Sculpting contest

2. A series of mini challenges

3. Something else (please say)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

So I'm still majorly aware of how badly I screwed up last time, that being said I'm, throwing some ideas around I'd like to get feedback on.

Contest
    First off, if a contest is how people want to go, I want to assure you there is a first prize as a miniumum... and here it is (See attachment).

Some of you may recognize it, it was sent to Avatars Of War, but never got cast. I have it now and I want to give it to someone who will get more use out of it.

Challenges
    The other option is a bit like those mini-series where people sketch something new every day.
    • I set the first challenge (just something small, a minor conversion that requires a tiny bit of creative kit-bashing or sculpting). The challenge is a month long and at the end, the person with the largest number of votes (via Poll) gets to pick the next challenege.
    • I'll offer feedback to everyone too over the course of each challenge, the overall goal is to help everyone, not pick winners or favourites, because everyone has the right to help if they want it.

A Self-made Man (no puns, I'm just naturally hilarious ¬¬ ).
    I read recently an interesting thought that there's no such thing as a "self-made success", everyone great and small has had someone, or some people that kept them going, said the right thing at the right time and never stopped believing in them. This strikes some serious cords with me, because if it weren't for TPV (first Lizardmna forum I used back in the day), LO, or members past, present and future;

I would never have done the things I've done...never tried, never succeeded.
    You're all important in ways I don't think I can every really do justice to in any combination or semblance of words. Never undersell yourselves or your importance.

Attached Files:

2. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

That is a glorious post, and a glorious mini! Shame it never got cast up for the general public, it looks amazing!

A challenge like this would be a lot of fun (regardless of the prize), I remember the previous few contests resulting in some brilliant ideas and conversions. Would love to see what this one comes up with!

We appreciate you too.

This forum is one of the hidden jewels of the internet that never ceases to provide a wealth of support, encouragement, and inspiration.

3. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

It was going to be originally, but things happened and I got it back. He's been sitting around doing nothing ever since.
    What do you reckon to polling this Topic? To make it easier.

4. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I think doing some polling would be a good idea, see what the interest currently is?

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Done, fire away everybody!

EDIT: Let me know if any of you have other ideas and I'll add them to the poll.

6. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Sorry about the double post.

I'll leave this open and running until March 1st.
    After that I'll get the ball rolling, change the title of this thread accordingly and get either a set of rules, or an initial challenege ready.

7. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Oooooo... a draw D:

In that case I'll got with the series of mini-challenges, but if peoples' opinions shift, or more people enter into this with desires for sculpting contests, then I may end up doing both.

That being said, I want to try and keep this open to everyone, so although harder challeneges will be brought in, I will keep easier ones available to, I'm thinking of the old hobby task ranking system.

5 Stars - Full sculpt, pretty much what I do (once in a blue moon....), don't worry, Stars 4 & 5 may never make an apperance, but you never know what you (yes YOU, the person reading my post right now), are really cabable of, so I want to give people this option.
    4 Stars - Full sculpt, something like those markers I made, small terrain pieces, etc.
    3 Stars - Hard/above average, think 70%+ sculpting of a part (like a different arm).
    2 Stars - A challenge for novices and entry level dabblers.
    1 Star - Will challenege, but won't result in excessive sweating or table flipping.

To make sure this thread doesn't go quiet for most of each month, I'll try to interject bits and pieces (such as info, guidance, or advice) on things like tools.

The first deadline will be April the 1st

If nothing is submitted, I'll either pick a new challenge, or extend the old one. If the challenege isn't fun, is too daunting, a chore, please say so. I don't want to pick something people do not want to attempt.
    If you do not have enough time (because this pesky life thing has a way of turning things upside down), let me know. I can make this bi-monthly or even quarterly.

My own personal goals with this are:
    I want people to enjoy it.
    I want people to challenege themselves.
    I do NOT want to exclude anyone.
    I do NOT want to make people feel like they're lacking or not capable.

So as much as this is for you, it's also for me, I want to help, but I want to help everyone, but I can't do that if I don't listen to you.

Challenege One: Bling
    So your first challenge is Lizard Bling, Saurus, Skinks and even Slann have little bits of body jewelery (see image), I'd like you to attempt one piece.
    I can be any one of the items (or variation of) in the red circles. Making something like a braclet will be harder than spike sheethed in metal, but the options are there for you to choose.

Rules:
    - Find your own comfort level.
    - You can choose to sculpt as much, or as little of this as you like, so you can scratch build a piece of jewelery, or simple glue a new one from a spur on to a model. The ONLY thing I need you to do is use some green stuff (or other modeling putty) in your work, even if it's hiding a join.

Any problems, queries, questions, recipies about Sticky Toffee Pudding, just ask.

If the attachement isn't showing, give me a soft poke in the ribs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

I'm up for this. Where do I sign up, do you mind if it's on alternative miniatures ( my GW minis are in storage)

9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Still got a week to go, so should probably think of getting started soon. Is this just do and submit here, or is it a secret like the short story contests where we just submit it to you?

10. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

You simply post your work in here.
    Alternative Minis are always welcome.

You can post in here, to quote Radiohead "No surprises" so don't worry about sending me PMs with the details.

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Excellent. I'll get back with you.

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

and by that I mean I will post here tonight when I make progress.

13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Ok so, first leg of the journey, planning.

So, I don't have any of my Games workshop lizardmen which are currently in storage.

And, having someone applicable project that I could add to I decided to work small. Specifically, I'm going to take a mono pose 10mm Saurus sculpt that I 3d printed, and turn it into a battle standard bearer. (Just for reference: there are no battle standard bearer rules in warmaster or warmaster revolutions. This is specifically just for rule of cool.)

The theme for this contest is bling. @Rikard gave some excellent examples from what we have seen depicted of the lizard men in the past.

My favorite form of this bling has always been the glyph plaques that adorn various beasts that the lizard men ride to battle.

And while I can't work on any of my 28 mm items, I think I can definitely play around with and learn to sculpt plaques. And what better way than to make a battle standard bearer where the standard is essentially such a glyph plate?

Base figure:

PXL_20220324_040853762.jpg

I'm going to dig around for my milliput.

If it didn't make it from storage during the move I will look about and see what I can get.

@Rikard I'm going to be away for at least Saturday attending a ceremonial event for a friend. Do you have a problem delaying the end of the submissions period for a day or two if needed?

14. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

No problem with a delay, I'll give a week, just in case.

15. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Thank you. I'm having car trouble too. It's been a week

16. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Don't worry, life has this nasty little habit of hitting us with low blows when we least expect it.
    I'm wondering if I have each segment running for two months.... allows for life and general shinanagens, but also in case someone wants to take part mid way through a challenge. Gives everyone a little more breathing room.

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Update: attempting to pick up supplies tomorrow.

Ive also been inspired to try my hand at sculpting an interpretation of a few of the more vibrant Aztec back banners. Thank you @Rikard for putting this together. I would not be this excited to try sculpting otherwise

18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Tried both local game stores.

It seems like no one carries milliput anymore. :/

Greenstuff was similarly hard to find. one store only had liquid greenstuff from GW (waste of money, from what I'm told.)

The other game store, the largest in this area of Florida, only had the package of greenstuff army painter sells, and wanted $11.99 for it.

I ended up purchasing 3 times as much material on amazon for $23 with taxes. should be here tomorrow.

19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Green stuff arrived via Amazon.

@Rikard do you have any general tips and tricks for working with green stuff?

If I had to ask for any specific tips I would request information about sculpting feathers

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Well, watching a few videos and giving it a go was my option, so I did so.

Failed spectacularly but had fun anyway.

Damn my motor skill issues