1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for feedback on a Bastiladon and Oldblood on Foot

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tilorn91, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Tilorn91
    Saurus

Tilorn91 Active Member

Hello everyone, first time posting in this part of the forum! I'm a new painter, and the techniques I'm struggling with are highlighting and drybrushing, so I stick mostly to base coats, layers and washing.

These are the two models I'm pretty proud of, one being a Bastiladon from Chamon, a metallic armadillo whose wash of the crystal on top I completely botched and requires fixing.

The other is an Oldblood on Foot who again, recieved a simple scheme of white, red and gold, and agrax gloss wash.

Oldblood on foot.jpg Oldblood on foot 2.jpg Bastiladon Chamon 1.jpg Bastiladon Chamon 2.jpg

2. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

The both look good.

I really like the look of the Oldblood, and the limited palette you used. I feel like there could be some red on his crest to accent it a little more and/or you could paint the haft of his weapon in red.

Explodingzeb and LizardWizard like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I like the metalic Bastiladon.

Games Workshop put out some great beginner tutorials on layer painting and highlighting. Duncan Rhodes' method is a fantastic start place. I find that black lining (either with black or another very dark color) does a lot to separate out the details and provide definition to the sculpts.

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Apart from the basing ;) they are tabletop ready. I love the white and Red combo on the Oldblood.
    To elevate the colors you could add some (extreme) highlights to every scale individualy. This makes some time, but done well brings the model even more to life.

For the gold on both of your models I do recomment some highlights in bright gold or Silver. Just the higher edges. Right now it is somewhat monotone gold with a little contrast from the wash.

You don't need to do the above if you're going for tabletop quality ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Explodingzeb and LizardWizard like this.