1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contest Lustria-Online Short Story Contest January-February 2015

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Arli, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Lustria-Online Short Story Contest January-February 2015 Contest

We are going to try to steal the Under-Empire’s idea and do some periodic short story contests. Ideally every three months. There is no tangible prize, but your story will go into stickied thread on the Fluff subforum.

I have volunteered to come with the theme and to collect entries. Once the deadline is past, I will post the stories on a thread with a poll. The stories will be called “Story 1”, “Story 2”, etc on the poll. Your poll number is determined by the order of submission. You may header your story with a title, but it will not show up in the poll. There will be a month to vote before the poll is closed.

The theme for our first contest is retrieval of lost Lustrian Artifacts!

-Must be between 500 and 2000 words. There will be some leniency for stories just barely outside the limit, but too far below 500 is barely a story and above 2000 is barely a short story.
    -Your name must appear nowhere with the story. There is no point in having an anonymous competition based on skill if we know whose entry is whose.
    -You must send your story via private message to Arli by January 31st
    -There is a max of 15 entries (or some other number, but I’ll consider this an overwhelming success if we get seven).
    -The story must be new. No dragging up a story you wrote months or years ago.
    -No plagiarism.
    -The story must involve Lizardmen to some extant
    -The story must stick roughly within the theme.

Voting Thread for the January-February Contest

Voting will start on February 1st and end on March 1st whenever we decides to close the poll (depending on voting), so try to vote by the February 28th. Please read all the entries before submitting your vote. Feel free to comment on the stories if you want to share praise and/or constructive criticism.

Story 1, Story 2....

Nine stories so far! and we still have two days to go!

2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Constructive criticism, eh?

should read, "Voting ends on March 1st whenever we decides to close the poll, my Preciousss."

should read, "We are going to try to acquire-borrow the Under-Empire’s idea"

Is obviously going to suck. Can't have a heroic story about someone called Rychek, Mahtis, Caneghem, Scalenex etc. Although other authors will want to use the already three dimensional and popular with the Ladeez character named Bob, that would single out the remaining work as the obvious winner.

...if Scalenex kills his hero in the third act. There needs to be some sort of "no tragic dying clause" if this is going to work.

Anyway, the concept is great. Even though you didn't run with my theme suggestion of, "eggshell helmet".

3. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

If you want intangible prizes, we could offer a Spawning of Bob + n810 original illustration for the winning tale.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

A short story is the literary equivalent of a one act play so I can't possibly write in a tragic third act death.

It would have been presumptuous of Arli or me to volunteer you. It would also be weird if you won. I mean you illustrate your own stuff anyway right?

5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

So step up, Loozerd.

6. Astral Crusader
    Skink

Astral Crusader Member

When you say no plagiarism does this mean we can't use special characters like Kroak, Kroq-gar, and/or Mandamundi. If we can't use them that is okay.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

You can use those characters, no problem. By Plagiarism, we mean copying any existing story.

8. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

edited out to remain anonymous :i

9. Astral Crusader
    Skink

Astral Crusader Member

Don't worry I already have my own idea I would like to at least mention a few as the protagonist receives a "gift" from Mazdamundi.
    :)

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

LOL looks like I got Volunteered. :D

11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

It was either an authentic Bob / n810 original or a VampTeddy / n810 forgery.

Choose the best, forget the rest!

12. Astral Crusader
    Skink

Astral Crusader Member

Also what do you mean by mention our named must there be character named after us or could I say Story by Astral Crusader?

13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Sorry Crusader, we are cluttering the thread with the eternal battle for supremacy between myself and Scalenex.

For the record, I am the awesomest, but he is smarter. How will it end? *

As for the fair and anonymous story scoring system:

If, as a hypothetical example, you are sexy and popular (like, for example, me) and you write your story and use your forum name and title (for example, "Astral Crusader - Worshiper of Bob") as part of your story, the fair and anonymous scoring system will fail.

Instead the most popular and sexy author (for example, George Clooney - although I have no idea why) will win.

Therefore, if you wish to write about yourself, use an alias (for example, "S'c'a'le'n'e'x")

After judging, Arli will reveal the author of each masterpiece.

So...

PM your completed work (with title (for example, "Bob defeats Scalenex. Again")) to Arli. He will repost all of the submitted stories without the author's names or titles.

Whoever reads them and wishes to vote will choose one story to rule them all. Votes are counted and glory rains upon the victor. A bit. **

Kudos +++++ to anyone who enters even if they don't win. We have many excellent writers on this forum, and even those who aren't the greatest spellers (for example, n810) or who struggle with written English (for example, n810) have some amazing ideas which are worth sharing and enjoying together with your closest cold blooded buddies ***.

* Come on! Can there be any doubt?

** Not a very big bit.

*** Not that close. Cold blooded = no hugs.

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

And that's why I draw pictures instead. :D

15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

And we are grateful that you do!

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

The first entry has been submitted! I will post them all at once when we get them all. Get to work guys....

17. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Seven entries and counting! That is awesome! In your face people who are not Lustria-Online!

(Though Under-Empire mods are gracious hosts, slightly less in their faces)