1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Make Saurus Guard great again?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by tehcaptainawesome, May 23, 2021.

1. tehcaptainawesome
    Jungle Swarm

tehcaptainawesome New Member

I know it's a bit far fetched, but do you think the Guard might be a liable force again? At the moment they are really nothing more than Slann-Babysitters, which is not THAT bad.

What I mean is that in the previous edition there where more flexible due to the Ethernal Starhost and other shenanigans, where it was more or less viable to use them as your battleline, buff them up and block while dealing good damage.
    The funniest shit I used to do was getting them to a +2 save with 1 rerollable to be the ultimate wall. I am a little sad that they are not that usable/ buffable at the moment in contrast to the earlier version, the Guards are one of my favorite units un the game, but not really that playable anymore.

Do you think they might get a chance to shine again? Or did you find some niche for them in a semi-competitve environment?

Lizerd and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Their current niche of being extra wounds for a slann is a viable use of them though rather stupid to be frank. They're supposed to be the best of the best. The eternity Warden(another abomination in this edition) of the old world slayed a fucking daemon prince in moments before tanking a warpblast that would of killed his slann then watched over the weakened slann and chased off predators to wait for rescue for his slann

3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

not with their rules as they are now. maybe in the next book or if the new general battalions favor them

Canas likes this.
  4. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

They work fine as an infantry unit. A block of 20 does do serious work. The issue is that knights just do that job better

Lizerd, Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  5. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

the issue is that warriors do that job better. no use for a elite unit when the generic one does the job better for cheaper

Lizerd, Dread Saurian and Canas like this.
  6. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Guard is perfectly viable. It is just that Saurus Knights are better in every single way, if built properly. If you are a big fan of guard, you can easily run them against other melee armies in Koatl's claw. They have a couple pros, which saurus lack:

1) Fewer model count mean that they are more likely to fit in the fight as a whole squad. If you bring saurus, only 20-30 models will strike simultaneously;
    2) If saurus are beneath 15 models, they are little more than chaff, while guard doesn't lose damage potential over time;
    3) Guard damage degrades more slowly, since they have 2 wounds per model;
    4) They are 3+ to-hit, so, you will invest less CP to make them hit on 2's. In koatl's claw you don't need an oldblood at all to support guard, unless you expect to face mass -1 to-hit debuffs.

Saurus still win in numbers, damage potential and access to a battalion, but don't underestimate guard either.

7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

this is also a major weakness as models hold Objectives. and you can often get much more warriors in since they have 2" reach
    debatable as 15 spear saurus with one attack in sunclaw star will do just as much damage as 10 guard will.
    but they degrade from a much lower staring spot and don't buff as well.
    true but you also don't need the buffing for warriors to just be better over all. this just gives warriors a higher damage sealing then guard do.
    20 warriors(fighting 10 wide and 2 deep) in sunclaw unbuffed will do 6-11 on avrage and 10 guard(fighting 10 wide 2 deep) will do 4-8 so really the buffs don't matter

i do not underestimate guard i give them exactly as much credit as they disserve. can you run them? yes. but they are not the best or even the second best thing we have? no

Lizerd and Nart like this.
  8. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Well, that was my point. I will always rate saurus list in KC over Guard list.

What about templehost? Absolutely agree, that in Starborne guard are not even close to saurus.

9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

i was comparing star warriors to coalesced temple guard as they are both at there best in those factions. i always compare units at their best

10. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

The issues i have with warriors vs guard is that the warriors wounds take up more space which is rather rubbish since they are also slow outside of a star borne teleport making them easier to tag and prevent movement of.
    big blob of 1 wound models also makes battleshock an issue as each 1 damage done is a point towards battleshock.
    the guard also have 2 attacks per model at 3s and 3s all of the time, warriors are 4s and 3s and only get more of their lower quality attacks when they are in a large number, which i previously stated is a problem for me.
    Neither do a job better than knights do as they are faster, do a lot of damage for the points and take buffs excellently due to their high number of attacks.

the warriors battalion changes the situation a fair bit however, but outside of that i personally do not enjoy using warriors and ill just use guard as a rule of cool pick really over knights

Lizerd and Nart like this.
  11. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

ArtoriusaurusRex Well-Known Member

Guard don't need much to be viable.

2" range would about do it, honestly.

But what I'd really rather see is them become more expensive and *much* better.

12. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

With 20 models per unit, 2" is not really that important. A battalion and a unique buff from Warden (like +1 save CA) would be enough to distinct them.

13. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

I dunno, who can really get more than 10 guard into a fight at once with 1" range? If I'm paying 400 points for a unit I'd really like them to be able to engage properly.

14. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

If people can get 20 club saurus in a fights, temple guard won't be a problem either.

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  15. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

we don't actually do that we use spears when 20 or more and clubs in 10 man. mainly due to the problem of getting 20 clubs into melee

ArtoriusaurusRex likes this.
  16. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

Which reminds me, Saurus warriors should lose Ordered Cohort and just have two weapon attacks each.

Why are we getting horde bonuses anyways? Has that ever been the "thing" of Lizardmen?

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

it has for the entirety of AoS

18. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

Was it in old WFB? Just out of curiosity

19. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

Lizardmen have always been a horde army, but they did not receive anything special from having a horde in fantasy outside of the general rank and steadfast bonuses.

Lizerd and Dread Saurian like this.
  20. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Yeah don't remind me of how exquisitely mediocre lizardmen were in whfb