1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Mapping Lustria

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Mr.Crocodile, Sep 11, 2021.

?

What should I work on next?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2021.
  1. Creating a map with locations

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Creating a climate/weather map

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Making a version of the regions map with some textures (adding mountains, lakes)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Mr.Crocodile Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I recently found this forum while researching and worldbuilding for a fanfic series centered on Lustria and the Lizardmen.

I love world building and exploring the lore of settings. And I also love using visual media to do exactly that.

Because of this, I was appalled when I started researching for my fics and found very little canon information on a lot of the concepts I was looking to dig into and explore relating to both Lustria as a location and the Lizardmen as a culture and species.

Relevant to this particular thread is the fact that (canon) maps of Lustria in particular within the Warhammer setting are few and tend not to be of especially high quality. Which I am setting out to fix!

I have started by creating a map of Lustria's "regions," which you can see below:

Version without the map I used for reference in the process:

I drew these regions based mostly on what information I found on the geography and climate zones and biomes of the continent. Soon I’ll be creating a version with the names of the regions themselves added to the map.

I hope to make even more of these, such as climate maps, topographic maps, etc… And of course I’ll soon be creating versions with icons marking all kinds of locations, from temple cities to ancient monuments and even more!

I always love receiving feedback and help in my projects, so please! Don’t be shy!

[EDIT: ALL OUTDATED VERSIONS OF THESE MAPS HAVE BEEN REMOVED TO AVOID CLUTTERING AND MAKE SURE PEOPLE CAN EASILY FIND THE BEST VERSIONS]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Bowser, thedarkfourth, Aginor and 6 others like this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Welcome to LustriMr. Crocodile, I'd say this is a great start!

Looking forward to this, if i recover additional infos i will gladly share them.

3. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, and I will indeed be thankfull for any info I may miss as I work on these maps!
    If everything goes as planned, I may even have a small update tomorrow as I working on more sub-maps! Should be easy now that the base one is done!

Bowser and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Welcome to Jurassic Park!

Bowser and Mr.Crocodile like this.
  5. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

JAJAJAJA

Bowser likes this.
  6. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

By the way, in order to be transparent I should mention that a couple of the regions I mapped were inspired by some of Nazqua's work, who is doing something very similar to my project.

Credit where credits due!

7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad to have you here! Great work so far and I also look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I was going to say you should check out @Nazqua's work but it seems you found it! Credit where it's due indeed!

Very cool, again, welcome! Another great addition to Jurassic Park

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It's always great when a new fluff writer hits the ground running.

If you haven't found it yet, I would peruse the Lustriapedia. No one has been ambitious enough to map out all of Lustria but individual writers have developed portions of it.

For instance my fluff pieces take place in the Northwest corner of Lustria. My temple city of Klodorex is built around the Monument of Izzatal. Their main territory is the Jungle of Green Mists. They've imprisoned some daemons in the Biting Bogs and there is a nearby tribe of savage orcs and goblins living in the Reeking Mire.

Klodorex is essentially responsible for administering all three of the aforementioned regions.

I have yet to figure out what the Wellsprings of Eternity are (which I should probably deal with because it would probably fall under Klodorex's perview) and what they are for but I decided the Monument of Izzatal is a giant gold plated Slann head statue that can amplify magic from the ley lines.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  9. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

I have already been perusing Lustriapedia, particularly the sections around the culture of the lizardmen and the ecology/fauna of Lustria

10. Scalenex
    Slann

I will play Devil's Advocate with your map. Sometimes nature creates clear boundaries, but usually it doesn't.

In my local example, I figured the Jungle of Green Mists turns into the Biting Bogs gradually. As one moves north in the Jungle of the Green Mists, it gradually gets wetter and buggier. As one move south in the Biting Bogs, you see more trees and once in a while see green mists.

11. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Oh I'm very aware how that, I just tend to prefer subdividing whenever possible.
    As I create more maps, not everything will be as clear cut as this "Regions of Lustria" map is.

As an example of my own to explain myself, it'd be logical to keep the Qurveza and Amaxon rivers as part the larger jungle regions they are surrounded by. But they are such important geographical features with interesting traits to explore that'd I'd rather keep them separate, so that when I come around to fleshing out the regions they get their own sections.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  12. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

As promised yesterday, here is a new version of the map with each region's name (worldbuilding-wise, feel free to assume that these names were given by explorers, the Lizardmen themselves or a combination of both):

As I make more versions, I will probably change the positions and sizes of some of the different names in order to make the map more clear and easier to read, but I believe this version to be a good starting point.
    While I tried to stick to canonical names as much as possible, in some cases I had to (or wanted to ;) ) come up with new names for the regions.

Here’s the list of said new names, each with a short explanation for my reasoning behind the names themselves.

• The Lost Valley: Basically, I found the name of the singular location intriguing enough that I upgraded it into the name of the surrounding region.

• The Nameless Badlands: Based on the region by the same name found in Nazqua's Bestiary and Lustrian Lore.

• Two Serpents: The name “Volcanic Islands” given to the pair of islands (Spitting Serpent and Fuming Serpent) in Lustria’s Southeastern coasts felt generic (there probably are hundreds of volcanic islands in Lustria and across the world) enough that I decided to give them a more fitting name.

• Northern Turtle Isles: Basically, since the southernmost Turtle Islands were already given their own name, I choose to separate the northernmost ones too.

• Termontane Savanna: Also based on the concept put forward in Nazqua's Bestiary and Lustrian Lore.

• Sotek’s Chest: Since Sotek’s Spine is such a central piece to Lustria’s geography, I decided to name each separate section of the mountain range crossing the entirety of Lustria with a thematic name based on it and their respective possitions.

• Amacata Badlands: My own creation based on the landscape the map showed, with the name being a cheeky reference to the irl Atacama Desert.

• The Sinking Land: Another one of my own creations based on the stark change in landscape. I’ll flesh it out in the future.

• Shotek’s Neck: Same thing as the Chest mountain range

• Burning Shore: A cheeky reference to the canon short story by the same name, which I hold dear to my heart since it was my first introduction to the Lizardmen.

• Jaguar Jungle: Again, based on Nazqua's Bestiary and Lustrian Lore.

• Sotek’s Eyes: Since this region has mountains and lakes, it felt fitting to give it a name that was a tad more poetic.

• Setler’s Cove: Partially inspired by The Salamander Cove (Nazqua's Bestiary and Lustrian Lore) I gave this name to the region since it is a hotspot for warmblood activity.

• Warmblood Isles: Similarly to the previous entry, places such as Amazon Island made me think that this Island Chain on the Amaxon’s mouth probably is a hotspot for explorers, warmblooded natives and settlers too.

13. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Not a big update, but while waiting for the poll to end and while working on other stuff I corrected and improved some of the visuals on the map.
    This will probably be the last session until the poll ends

Without region names:

With region names:

Bowser, Paul1748 and Imrahil like this.
  14. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Awesome work you have done!
    I like it a lot.

I will stick this thread to see what you do next ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser and Mr.Crocodile like this.
  15. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Welp, turns out I fucked up and forgot to add an entire region I had been meaning to.
    So I'll probably post the ACTUAL final version of the regions map later today.

This is what happens when you don't keep you reseach organized...

Bowser likes this.
  16. Scalenex
    Slann

Okay I really like what you did. So I'm criticizing it out of love.

I understand that Sotek is the preeminent god of the Lizardmen but he is also the youngest god of the Lizardmen and the Lizardmen are a very hidebound society. I never liked the official canon maps that had ancient Temple Cities built around a Temple of Sotek.

That would mean, the Lizardmen, who hate change and built their original temple cities to the Old Ones specifications remodeled the center of Itza, the First City, to be built around Sotek, a being who essentially did not exist when the First City was built.

I never was a huge fan of the Spine of Sotek Mountains, but the mountains weren't changed. They were renamed from something else. And the mountains do vaguely look snake-like so the name kind of works.

But that was me complaining about GW writers over emphasizing Sotek. What about your map?

Sotek's Chest. There is nothing snakelike about that geographic landmark AND snake chests are not exactly an iconic part of the snake because it's hard to distinguish a snake's chest from the rest of it's torso. Unless it's not a chest as in part of a torso, but Sotek's storing something there, but if that's the case we need a store to back it up. Perhaps a Sotek's Vault or Sotek's Caverns would be a better name than Sotek's Chest.

Snake body parts that are given literary emphasis are eyes, scales, tails, and of course fangs.

"Sotek's Eyes" has a plural name but there is only one lake. Why not just make it "Sotek's Eye."

Sotek's Neck is a better thematic fit than Sotek's Chest, but since this little mountain range is detached from Sotek Spine and necks and spines are usually attached, why not give it a name that is not Sotek related.

Why would the "Nameless Badlands" not simply be the "Southern Badlands." They are on the southern tip of the continent. When in doubt, I always default to literal names that are easy to understand as much as poetic names or "He Who Must Not Be Named" can be fun, but you want to keep sites like that to a minimum so you don't cause reader's eyes to glaze over. Poetic named locations should mostly be the locations where the important stories are centered. Otherwise, pick names that are easily grasped. "Why is the Jungle of Green Mists named that? It's a jungle that has green mists."

17. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Ok, so, responding point by point:

• I pretty much just named it Sotek's Chest following the logic of "What's between the neck and tail? The chest, duh" But I do recognize in hindsight that I should have realized that sneks aren't particularly known for their chests. I'm partial to your proposal to Sotek's Vault, mainly because it evokes the idea of an impregnable fortress of some kind. And Mountain ranges are pretty much nature's fortifications.
    • There actually are two lakes: Lake Capac and Lake Incatol.
    • I like the thematic element of the three ranges being named after Sotek, but I'm open to suggestions on an alternative name for the third range.
    • I pretty much agree, but since the Nameless Badlands come from Nazqua's work, I assumed that there was a consensus on using that name. My original draft did actually name them the Southern Badlands. With Cape Badlands being my other option.

18. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

So, sorry for the recent silence, but I just started a new year at university and had to deal with irl stuff.

That said, I took @Scalenex 's advice and corrected those couple issues I noticed myself with the previous version.

I hope the few changes I made are self explanatory. But feel free to ask for my reasoning on them if you are curious.

Without Region Names:
    With Region Names:

19. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

Here's the newest most updated versions of all the maps!

Regional (geographic regions only) map overlayed:
    [​IMG]

Vectorized Map (No Names):
    [​IMG]

Vectorized Map (With Region Names):
    [​IMG]

20. Mr.Crocodile
    Chameleon Skink

And here are some new ones featuring the Locations of Temple Cities and other Lizardmen locations.

Only Temple Cities:
    [​IMG]

All Lizardmen locations:

[​IMG]

(Version where the locations are all named will be made in the future)

Jorgik, Imrahil, Bowser and 2 others like this.