1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Maximizing models in combat

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by borkbork, May 28, 2015.

1. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Hi,

the Maximizing models in combat is in general quite clear.
    However, if I have multiple units charging a single enemy unit and there is enough space how much space should i leave between the two charging units.

in other words....lets assume an enemy unit 10 wide on 20x20mm bases (lets say elves)
    And we are charging with 2 solo trolls/Kroxigors., so 2 units with a 40 mm front each.

Can we put them directly next to each other so 2x 40mm wide trolls will fight against 6 Elves.
    Should we put 1 elf base between them so that each troll unit is in base contact with 4 elves, (7 elves in total)
    Or should we put 2 elf bases between the two trolls so that they would be fighting against 8 elves in total.

I basically want to know wether it is possible for 2 seperate units with a small front to target a single model in a big horde.

thx

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I think we may need some text art for this one...

3. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

I think it looks like this

eeeeeeeeee
    ___kkkk___

kk is one unit of one kroxigor and in this example we have 6 base to base elves
    or

eeeeeeeeee
    ____kk_kk__

1 elf between kroxigors so we have 7 elves in b2b contact, middle one can be attacked by both kroxigors

or

eeeeeeeeee
    ___kk___kk__

two elves between kroxigors so more than 1" betwenn kroxigor units which leads us to 8 elves in b2b contact but two kroxigors cannot attack the same model

4. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

Answering to question - I think the rule of 1" away still applies. Mostly you will have 1 elf between because bases won't be plain (is this proper word here?) between kroxigors and elves.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

oh separate units....I think you just square up and stay where you are.

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Is that rule all other units or all unfriendly units?

Or, some real art...

Charges.png

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    miturian, NIGHTBRINGER and borkbork like this.
  7. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

@ Pendrake

Exactly, very nice drawing. thanks, This was was what i ment. And yeah, sorry, should have put a diagram in my first post.

The 1 inch rule does not apply in combat, so you can put two unit next to each other (like example C). However, to what extent do you need to MAXimize models in combat. So if there is space option C would be illegal (i think), Option B maximizes from the individualTroll point of view, and option A maximizes from the Elves point of view.

So which one applies?

8. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

The rule for maximizing combat states you must maximize for all units, so you would have to leave at least 2 elves in between the trolls so that 8 elves could attack.
    You are right the 1" rule doesn't apply in combat so 2 units with a 6 man frontage can charge a horde and the two units would have to touch bases so that all models would be in combat. In the above example however you would need to leave at least a 2 elf gap

GreenMachine and borkbork like this.