1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Maxing out at +1/-1 in 3.0

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Christopher, Jun 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Christopher
    Terradon

Christopher Well-Known Member

I understand--I think--that "stacking" is no longer available in terms of getting bonuses or penalties greater than a modification of 1 on almost all dice rolls (rend is the exception, right?).

However, may you use command abilities, spells, or other means to apply "extra" bonuses or penalties anyway, in anticipation of an enemy's actions?

An example. Say you apply a +1 bonus to attacks from a unit via a Command Ability. Then you apply another +1 bonus to attacks via a spell. It's clear that the total bonus is +1. However, is that extra +1 kind of, I dunno, floating around out there? So that if an enemy takes an action that negates the first of them, the other comes into play?

Does that make sense?

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  2. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

It appears so yes, because it says that you cannot have more then a +1/-1 to hit and to wound, and +1 too save, but the side bar also mentions that being after all pluses and minuses are totaled.

Sorry, I don't have access to the rules right now, so I can't give you the exact quote.

Christopher likes this.
  3. Tombomb7
    Cold One

Tombomb7 Well-Known Member

You can give more than one +1 buff but the buff effect maxes at +1 when rolling for outcomes. You actually cam give a unit more than one +1 buff to build in some redundancy against rend weapons

E.g I give Mystic Shield and All Out Defense to Saurus Knights. Their save is still 3+ . If the Knights are hit with a -1 rend weapon, my save is still 3+.

Calculation:
    • 4+ save -1 rend = 5+ save
    • Mystic shield gives +1, cancelled out by the -1 rend, so I'm back to 4+ save
    • I've added a second +1 buff to save which now kicks in and brings me back to 3+ save
    Not sure this helps so let me know and I can explain another way :happy:

crazyeye45 and xoid like this.