1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS My first take on Dracothion's Tail

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Killer Angel, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Dracothion's Tail

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (265)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
    - Artefact: Godbeast Pendant
    - extra Spells: Stellar Tempest, Celestial Apotheosis
    Skink Starseer (145)
    - extra spell: Hand of glory
    Oldblood on Carno (270)
    - Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (75)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (75)
    10 x Skinks (75)
    10 x Skinks (75)
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)*

Units
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)**
    - Reinforced x 1
    - Reinforced x 1
    - Reinforced x 1

Behemoths
    Bastiladon with Ark of Sotek (185)

Battalions
    Warlord (heroes + guards)
    Hunters (skinks and sallies)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Reinforced Units: 3 / 4
    Wounds: 120
    Drops: 12 (see tactic)

The reasoning / tactic

i don't care about the 12 drops.
    I will place 6 units on the battlefield:
    the Slann (possibly behind the realmshaper engine),
    the saurus guards,
    4 skinks units

all the rest will be placed in reserve.

The skinks will do battlefield control and obj ontrol.
    if my oppo goes first won't have any meaningful target.
    since T1 i will be able to cast comet and collect summoning points

when there will be the chance, i will LoSaT the slann when needed, dropping the rest of the army and strike, shooting with sallies and charging with the carno with 3d6 and with the bastiladon that will act as a sort of resilient distraction, dishing some MWs (I'm not a fan of solar engine outside thunderlizard)

thoughts?
    when there

Just A Skink likes this.
  2. Schneelachs
    Skink

Schneelachs Member

Hey,

first a big thank you! As a new Player I had a realy good time with some of your guides and posts. As an example, parts of your "Seraphon Overview" I printed and took it with me for my fist games ;)

Ok now to your list, super solid and ofc youre game Plan is fine. Also I like to see the Oldblood and the Basti with Ark because they are more niche.
    But I would drop both.
    With those 455 Points you can put in an Astrolith and a Skinkchief on Steg. Also you can think of dropping 2x10 Skinks for 5x Guard.
    This will bring you to 1965 Points. Why?

The turn you teleport your slann has to be big. The Skinkchief is just the better hitter and with your starseer u can only give one guy 3d6 charge ( to drop 2 Monsters is greedy ;) ), also you have the better range option on it with 4 shots flat 3 damage.
    So now you can get the Astrolith in, what give u more CP and a more save start if you get 1st turn.
    Now you get average 6 CP a round to summon Skinks. This let you drop those for more guard.
    Also with 1965 Points you will on avarage get you the Triumph what will make the turn u dropp even better, example if you use inspired.

Greets

3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I think summoning is really important for starborne so i always think an astrolith is necessary. I think with the way you have the list now, maybe its dropping the starseer but the starseer also works a little harder since you're having the carno. Just something to think about.

IMO i'd for sure just drop a skink unit to make the ark a solar engine. its really strong regardless of sub faction. I'd also probably drop another skink unit for a priest. Especially with the two monsters, the heal is super clutch.

Personally, I didn't like the carnosaur outside of coalesced. You can definitely feel not having the 2 wounds, -1 damage and jaw attack, and IMO it just didn't feel worth the 270 points for me but i was aiming for something a little more lean and mean.

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

First of all, i really appreciate the fact that you enjoied my overview. Glad it has been of help!

Yeah, i was considering too the skink chief + astrolith instead of basti + carno.
    That said, it would mean that:
    - the astrolith should be set on the battlefield to gain the additional d3, and it's a thing i don’t like too much
    - it's another support hero and 6 sallies take a lot of points
    - i would have only 1 dinosaur, which will be focused. The melee bastiladon will draw attention.

I'm sure the list is not perfect but i like the idea to just have 40 skinks, guards and slann on the battlefield and then everything that will be dropped is a serious threat.

Pretty sure the carno is not as strong as the skink chief, but outside coalesced - thunderlizard, both of them lose a lot: the damage reduction, the mount trait, the command trait, the jaw attack...

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

mmm...
    There's a whole world of difference between 9 attacks and 18 attacks.
    But at that point yes, i would need also a priest. And the list would become something different.
    I don’t want to reduce the skinks, it's annoying to chomp through them all. ;)

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Regardless of 9 or 18, a solar engine basti is still very strong in starborne. Being stronger in TL i don't think is debatable, but also doesnt really say anything to the strength of it in starborne. I think you'd have a stronger argument if you weren't also using an old blood which suffers far more from not being in coalesced.

I ran a dracs tail list with a similar # of throwaway units and found it to be not super effective. So much power in lists now, its hard to have that many points wrapped up in units that are literally not killing anything. I think you could definitely shave a single unit for the basti upgrade if you wanted, but If you like the list as is then play it and go from there! You just asked for thoughts so i gave them haha played the list a lot so i've moved through quite a few iterations.

Killer Angel likes this.
  7. Killer Angel
    Slann

I could try it, indeed. I've listed the melee basti mostly because i've never played one with the new warscroll and i am curious to test its performance.
    THe plus side is that with all those sallies, i can target with the basti's laser anyone which is not helped by all out defense.
    but i'd avoid the priest.

8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Definitely think its worth a go. The list is strong enough as is that you should be able to be competitive into most things, so if it checks all your boxes rock it and let us know how it goes!

Killer Angel likes this.
  9. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Hand of glory and serpents staff on a melee bastiladon is fun. It almost doubled the mortals i got from it.

Killer Angel likes this.
  10. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Filthy list honestly. I would drop one salamander for the scarvet on carno for another distraction carnifex but I'm odd

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Even more extreme (but less balanced and probably less effective), could be a 10 units list.

4 x skinks and Slann on the field.

3 x double sallies + Starseer + Dread Saurian in reserve

Dread Saurian likes this.
  12. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

ok the dread in reserve would be comical to be honest just like i want him here and this is my objective

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

OK, with the points changes i needed to rework the list, while keeping the same core concept and wannabe tactic.

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Dracothion's Tail

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster
    (265)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
    - Artefact: Godbeast Pendant
    - extra Spells: Stellar Tempest, Celestial Apotheosis

Skink Starseer (145)
    - extra spell: Hand of glory
    Scarvet on Carno (215)
    - Artefact: ??????

Battleline
    10 x Skinks
    (75)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (75)
    10 x Skinks (75)
    10 x Skinks (75)
    5 x Saurus Guard (115)

Units
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack
    (280)
    - Reinforced x 1
    2 x Salamander Hunting Pack (280)
    - Reinforced x 1
    1 x Salamander Hunting Pack (140)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon with Solar Engine
    (250)

Battalions
    Warlord
    (heroes + guards)
    Hunters (skinks and sallies)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
    Wounds: 114

i could just remove the single sally for an astrolith bearer, but i'm unsure it's worth it.
    the +1 to cast won't be exploited that much, however i would gain d3 CPs, bubble ward 6+ and i would keep the ability to summon units if my Slann dies. So maybe?