1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS My take on 2K Thunderlizard

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Jason839, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Thunder Lizard

Leaders
    Engine of the Gods (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Prime Warbeast
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration

Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    3 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    - Weapon: Solar Engine
    Bastiladon (220)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 107

Lots of TL lists I see are focused on taking lots of monsters and using Stegadons as battleline. I feel the reason to take TL is the command ability. So i focused on optimizing that.

Engine of the Gods is in the list for summoning potential. Coalesced has always felt weak to me when I played it, because late game you just dont have enough bodies. In this list the engine has been a big help in circumventing this weakness. I always use a CP on the engine every turn to activate it twice. That chance to summon is that important, and frankly, the shooting in the list is good enough that sometimes you dont need to shoot twice.

Kroak over slann for the 3 dice for command points. Seriously. Celestial deliverance is a nice bonus, but in coalesced without teleports the kroaknado isnt as strong. This list wants command points, so thats why I take him.

Hand of glory starpriest. saves me a cp on rerolls with its spell. also has a shot at generating cp.

Rest of the list is pretty straight forward. Double bastiladons for shooting and redundancy. sometimes you roll high on cp generatikn and get to double tap both of them and melt things. They are solid. Salamanders because they are awesome, and I felt the list needed a counter charge threat. Purple sun over Geminids because hordes are a problem for lists like this.

I have been having a lot of fun with this one. Its solid and performs well.

Nart and Putzfrau like this.
  2. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

I am definitely a fan of lists like this, and have played some very similar ones. Personally, i think you're spot on when you say having bodies towards the end of the game will be an issue and its for that reason i like to have 1 unit of 40 (whether saurus or skinks) in there just to have something that can take a bit of that oomph. I was running 3 min skink units and was consistently find that to be a pretty big issue against certain matchups.

I think if you're leaning in on the bastis i'd also find a way to get a skink priest in there and make him your general for master of sky rituals. If you want the TL CA to really be the meat and potatoes of the list, I'd trim the kroaknado back and see if that can't help add some of those other pieces.

Just my two cents :) I think its already a super powerful list, you really can't go wrong with kroaknado and double tappin bastis.

LizardWizard and Jason839 like this.
  3. Jason839
    Salamander

Thats a good point, I probably could cut the kroaknado down to free up some space.

LizardWizard and Putzfrau like this.
  4. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

I've also been trying to get into the habit of not having it in every list, just on the off chance it gets nerfed into oblivion. It's still obviously in most of my tournament lists, but if i'm just trying stuff out i'm generally trying out kroak-less stuff. He's just so good I don't want it to warp my impression of the rest of the units.

I also just think Kroak without his usually tagalongs is pretty powerful in its own right. 3 CP is obviously monster and he's still sitting on 4 global unbinds.

Nart, Jason839 and LizardWizard like this.
  5. Jason839
    Salamander

Its a habit for sure, and in this list it probably wont be needed. Coalesced cannot afford to be stationary without teleports, and so kroak will be moving every turn anyways. I also like the skink priest suggestion. I forgot that he could use his command abulity for free if he was the general and you took the rituals trait. Thats pretty sweet for this list!

Putzfrau and LizardWizard like this.
  6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Totally! It helps you keep the CPs for double tapping as well, having a free +1 to hit every turn on one of them is super clutch. Can even sneak a burning head in their for reroll 1's but i've found that to be a little clunky to move around and such.

Jason839 likes this.
  7. Jason839
    Salamander

I think ill try this version next. loses the bearer and the balewind but gainst priest and another guard unit. If i play kroak more forward with the extra guard unit the bearer range buff wont be too big a loss.

Leaders
    Skink Priest (70)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Star Rituals

Lord Kroak (320)
    Engine of the Gods (260)
    - Artefact: Fusil of Conflaguration
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Battleline
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)

Units
    3 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)

Behemoths
    Bastiladon (220)
    Bastiladon (220)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 115

Putzfrau likes this.
  8. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Question, to whom are you going to use the Skink Priest CA? And Starpriest Staff?

Also, it looks like you bought a Battalion but the points aren't in place (EotG, Sallys and Bastis). Also, a burning head on Bastis is the best you can do,instead of casting Hand of Glory on them.

9. Jason839
    Salamander

Hi! I did pretty much bring Thunderquake without the battalion! The reason for this is I feel like the models are strong, but the Thunderquake Templehost is not. I do not need an extra artifact for this list and 150 is too expensive for an extra cp and a few less drops. So I went without it.

As for burning head, if this was a starborne list I would totally take bound burning head. But since this is coalesced, I feel like I need to be moving everyturn. This makes burning head a bit clumsy to use. Hand of glory and the skink priest CA, can almost do as well as burning head, but have longer ranges and are easier to move around.

As for who is getting buffed? Well I dont have an answer really. It depends on the game state. I usually try to buff the bastiladons so thst one is hitting on 3+ and the other is rerolling ones. If the salamanders are going to shoot and charge something, ill put hand on them. Sometimes ive put it all on the same unit, If i really want to make sure something dies. Just depends on what feels correct as I play.

10. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

The salamanders have been ok? Bravery 5 seems like a bit of a liability

11. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

You will be swimming in cp. Spend the damn token on making them pass

12. Jason839
    Salamander

Yep. So far so good. The bravery issue hasn't really come up much. I use them as a second line counter charge kind of unit. They pretty much either die in combat or don't get touched at all.

13. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Just wanted to be sure, as you had the number of units for that. It's true that Thunderquake isn't worth much without Kroxi and Chief, at least those two go always together on my lists.

You just stick the Burning head near the Bastis and move it along them. You don't have to move it the whole range if you want to stay stationayr with the Bastis, as 24" is more than enough to shoot anywhere. I just used it on my last game and I was moving an inch left to right. You could form a equilateral triangle with the burning head, to prevent a frontal charge, on the top and Bastis on bottom, in range enough to not lose the buff. This way you have Hand of Glory free for your Sallys.

To be honest, double shooting, re-rolling 1s to hit and Starpriest buff on a Bastiladon, makes it deals like ~15 wounds vs 4+. Sallys would deal a similar number of wounds, but remember, his ablity and Starpriest buff doesn't stack, so they wouldn't make MW on 5+, because staff is on wound rolls and Sallys ability is on hit rolls.

Anything than that, I see you have very few bodies, but this is Thunder Lizard.

Jason839 likes this.
  14. Jason839
    Salamander

Alternate list ive been enjoying.

Lord Kroak (320)
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Skink Starseer (140)
    - Spell: Tide of Serpents