1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Army Fluff My Take on Lustrian Orcs

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Scalenex, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

So I’m no longer contemplating collecting Orcs and Goblins but the fluff I wrote for my hypothetical O&G army. The Burn Face Tribe has made cameos in my fluff pieces and they might show up again later. If it seems like I accidentally copied High Elf fluff and thought I was being creative, you are correct.

Burn Face Tribe

Long ago the Old Ones created the Sauri to purge the world of races not fitting with their plan. Many races were exterminated but they never could exterminate the Orcs or Goblins since they reproduced by spores, killing them to the last man was no guarantee they wouldn’t make a resurgence. Even Lustria itself couldn’t be fully purged. The First could not stop the occasionally greenskin flotilla from making the journey from the Old World, but they had nearly succeeded in ridding themselves of Lustria’s “native” greenskins.

The last Lustrian tribe of savage Orcs meandered like a rudderless ship after the death of their warboss, but had managed to give their foes the slip. The tribe wandered into a steamy stinking rocky field and the tribe’s shaman declared the place auspicious and had all the would-be warbosses fight to the death there. Whoever emerged from the field alive would be the tribe’s new war boss. After a fairly short but brutal bloodbath, the fight was down to two contenders. Evenly matched, the fight dragged on and on. After over an hour of a seeming stalemate, the field erupted in a giant geyser boiling both fighters to death. The geyser was declared the tribe’s new boss.

The Orcs camped out around the field for days, made offerings and looked for signs on what they should do. The geyser erupted multiple times a day, but no clear sign was visible. The shaman who once decided on the field should be their dueling spot camped on top of the geyser hoping for a sign. The geyser erupted and the shaman was badly burned, but still able to walk. He declared he had a vision from the geyser and guided by his addled portents, led the tribe to a victory over the foes who original routed them. The Burn Face Tribe was born.

From that point on, all leaders chose to prove themselves by facing the Great Firewater. Unit champions must let themselves be splashed at the edges of the eruptions to be accepted. Big Bosses and initiate shamans have to run through the geyser. Warbosses and Great Shamans have to stay put on the base from start of the flow to the finish. Losers are eaten. Sometimes captives are taken to the geyser as the tribe has grown to prefer boiled meat flavored with sulfur (as opposed to eating meat raw like most savage Orcs). Even on the march, they’ll take water from the geyser with them for strengthening potions (placebos) or as a flavoring agent.

No Goblin has yet survived a significant exposure to the Great Firewater (relatively few have been bold enough to try). Some Goblin leaders have learned that eruptions happen at predictable intervals, and the Orcs have not figured this out. A Goblin can get his way by timing declarations carefully and then asking for a sign of the Great Firewater’s approval. Predicting the eruptions isn’t fool proof. Thus, some goblins have been beaten up or eaten when mistaken.

The Great Firewater has protected the tribe for centuries. Unbeknownst to the Savage Orcs and Goblins, the geyser wastelands held no interest at all to the Lizardmen. Skinks and Sauri alike dislike the sulfurous smell, the erratic temperature changes and the fact that food there is both fairly scarce and tastes like sulfur. Thus they weren’t even noticed by the First Children of the Old Ones for quite some time. Even afterwards it was decided it was not worth the trouble to dislodge them. The greenskins were religiously attached to the geyser fields so they did not roam far. Skink patrols were ordered to harry warm blooded invaders towards the geyser wastes, so the greenskins would kill them. Thus they were able to eliminate minor threats without a single Saurus needing to lift a talon.

Before the last Storm of Magic, the Shamans grew agitated and sent their forces away from the wastes farther and more often than ever before. Due to the manipulations of Slann Lord Desserex, the Burn Face Tribe was decimated by the forces of the vampire Count Renliss. The Goblins recovered faster than the Orcs and the Goblin shamans began running the tribe afterwards. Soon the Spider God came into prominence along with the Great Fire Water and Gork and Mork. With the aid of ever increasing numbers of spiders. The Tribe seemed to be poised to make a comeback before Kaitar and his army attacked seemingly eradicating them.

The surviving spiders went feral and there are no more signs of boiled offerings in the geyser fields. The First Children of the Old Ones of the area believe that at last the Burn Face Tribe is no more. The area around the geyser has experienced an upsurge in both the numbers and aggressiveness of the giant spiders present. Is this a portent of another resurgence of the Burn Face Tribe or are they just fighting to establish a niche like all the reptilian and mammalian predators?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I love the idea of the geyser being the new war boss! This sounds like an awesome theme for an o&g army!

Scalenex and HeirofCarnage like this.
  3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I really like the idea of Lustrian Orcs! I haven't tried coming up with my own ideas just yet, but there are some great Lustrian Orc armies out there.

I really like your take on them, very unique approach. "Burn Face" tribe has so much character! Have you had any ideas how you would paint/model them? Or maybe what their banner/symbol look like?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Ooh, you could paint all your characters with half-red faces to show the burns.

Bowser and Warden like this.
  5. Scalenex
    Slann

All the characters would have burned faces (if not burned bodies). A lot of the rank and file would have face paint symbolizing burned bodies. I figure the banners and totems would invoke geyers or fire. A lot of red in uniforms and face paint.

Plan was to use as many Savage Orcs and Forest Goblins as feasible. Within reason I would convert the non-Forest Goblin/Savage Orcs to fit as best as I could. Giants would be pretty easy to paint Savage though most of my Rare points would go towards Arachnaroks. River Trolls would work fine as is for any troll. Greenskin artillery is primitive enough it just needs the right paint job. Black Orcs might have Temple Guardesque helmets though I had the less ambitious plan of working in some lazy story about Black Orcs getting shipwrecked there and fielding them mostly as is (though with red armor)

Boar chariots would work just fine though could always swap in Cold Ones. The sad looking old school Cold Ones would be ideal but they are hard to come by. I got a few ear marked for Renliss' army but they cost a bundle. Squigs could be run as is with a bit of jungle basing and maybe some tropical colors or burn marks, but I'm not sure I like squigs much.

In any event. I own three Warhammer armies: Lizardmen, Vampire Counts/Undead Legions, and Empire. I don't intend to make it four, so the Burn Face Tribe will remain a minor player in my fluff pieces but not my model shelf. Feel free to steal any ideas you want from the Burn Face tribe for your own conversions or your own fluff pieces. In fact @spawning of Bob loosely based his Orc and Goblin army in the 2015 April-May short story contest after the Burn Face tribe.

Warden, spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Orcs with cold ones sounds good, I like the other stuff you have written for face paint and banners.

found one decent banner idea that made me think of these dudes (even though it is 40K)

orc banner fire.jpg

Fwamin' 'Eadz Nob, Courtesy of PsychosisPC over at Madhouse Workshop

Bracnos, Scalenex and Bowser like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I could use my O&G as the burn face tribe as they are still mostly unpainted, if you approve I may even paint you up a model ;) (it won't be for ages)

Scalenex, Otzi'mandias and Bowser like this.
  8. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Read it once, agreed with it, liked it and read it again and then...
    Wh..wh..what?

9. Scalenex
    Slann

I should say, given that they are tied so closely to Night Goblins and the underground, neither of which works well for the Burn Face Tribe, I'm not sure I like them for my hypothetical Lustrian Orcs.

Crowsfoot and spawning of Bob like this.
  10. discomute
    Terradon

discomute Well-Known Member

I like the concept, even if the idea of intentionally burning you skin on a geyser makes my skin crawl

Bowser likes this.
  11. Scalenex
    Slann

If it doesn't make your skin crawl, you aren't doing Orcs and Gobilns right. Besides, you generally out perform me fluff wise in the category of skin crawling. Especially your Turochlitan stories.

Bowser likes this.
  12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

What I picture (slightly less creepy) is living sacrifices being thrown into the blow hole. When Ol' Faithful goes off, nicely poached body parts get blown into the air and evenly distributed among the faithful. Best god ever.

Scalenex and Bowser like this.
  13. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Geyser sounds like geezer which fits well into the Orcish language. Orcish logic wins wonderfully here.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Aah, ok. Its the background you arent keen on. I thought you were attacking my small and devoted squig religion.:rolleyes:

15. Scalenex
    Slann

They do that too. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that they are oddities in the greenskin race because they like cooked sulfurous tasting meat.

spawning of Bob and Bowser like this.
  16. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

But you didn't say it was home delivered.