1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Nar-Grok, the Steadfast Oldblood of the Dreaming Spheres

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by iamtib, Dec 29, 2021.

1. iamtib
    Skink

iamtib Active Member

Hey guys,

I finished my Oldblood from the start collecting boxset! Considering I like Skinks more, I was torn between building the kit as the Saurus or the Troglodon with the Skink Oracle. I ultimately decided on the Saurus because it was looking ferocious and the bizarre Old Ones weaponry looked awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painting the Carnosaur was difficult. I first tried an orange/black scheme that did not work. There are images of such a scheme but for whatever reason I couldn't replicate it and I was frustrated. Maybe the shades of orange paints I have are too limited ; and painting orange with brushes is a nightmare. Thing is, it looked more like a badly painted toy rather than a model. It's already difficult to make our dinosaurs look like modelist pieces rather than toys so the paint schemes are super important. Then I tried a purple one, thinking that it could pass as a mystical/starborne creature. I failed at making it believable once more because purple (a rather soothing colour imo) did not fit such a ferocious looking creature. Even trying to tone it down did not work and it ended up looking all brown-is and black.

So I decided to try the « stock » color scheme that is displayed on the box and instantly it felt right. The colours are nicely suited for this kind of creature, they were not over the top, the red matched the ferocious aspect of the Carnosaur and I knew, even though, it wasn’t that original, the composition was miles better than my previous attempts.

As always painting such large pieces without airbrush, it's hard to make things look organic but I think I did a good job.

Painting the Oldblood itself was a treat. The models is so well sculpted. His armor is a bit over the top because it covers everything but his entire head and face is exactly what Saurus should look like. I spent extra time painting his face because I knew that the eye would be drawn to it. Shame that other Saurus don’t look like him, they would be so much more enjoyable to paint and to play with. I don’t even mind the body fo the regular Saurus, it’s just the heads and how derpy they look by nowadays standards.

Gold is everywhere on the model and looking back I wished I introduced more variations in the different pieces so that you can better tell them apart. Especially the hand of the Gods. But you live and learn! I painted the blade of the Spear with purple, reminiscent of my attempt at a purple Carnosaur and to have a consistent palette with my Skinks.

Now I really need to get more battle line units to have a functional army! Sooo… let’s get some Skinks!

2. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

This looks amazing! Well done!
    I love the classic Carnosaur colour scheme and your paint job on the Saurus is very very good :)

Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great work on this monster of a model!!

I like the color combination you went for.
    The scales of the Old blood look fantastic :artist::artist: great detail on those. Also the weapon looks crazy good.

Good luck on the Skinks, I would love to see them!

Grrr, Imrahil

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Looks great! A really clean paint job.
    I especially like the blade of the spear.

Just A Skink likes this.
  5. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

This is a beauty of a paintjob. Very neat with sharp details. I agree that the spear is a cool color touch. Bravo!

Imrahil likes this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Fantastic paint job! Nice one!

7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Beautifully painted, well done! :artist::cool:

8. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

I will just drop here to say the color choice and blend on the saurus is spectacular and I'm saving it as an inspiration.