1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Cults and Cohorts

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Nazqua, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Pretty self explanatory. My first layers of mud are added (There is a lot more to come obviously) And I have sprayed all the bits Im going to be using so they can start to be painted individually. Not sure if I want to have the snake here, but it certainly does look menacing in replacement of the pillar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On another note aside from this diorama, I got some magnets, so have been practicing magnetizing skinks and the like, decided to go for it and magnetize and ark of Sotek and solar engine so they can be interchangeable on a future bastiladon.

[​IMG]

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I think having a giant snake on the altar as the "sacrificial knife" is a brilliant idea.

Maybe with a semi-golden scale motif?

LizardWizard, Imrahil and Nazqua like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great scene, giving the Snake this central place in the diorama, really Draws the attention. So it would be great to give him some wonderfull colors.

Also great to see the magnets going on the Bastilodon. How did it went magnatizing to the bars?
    For me it was to tidious of a task and decided to magnetize it to the scales at one Point and Let it rest on the bars.

Good luck working on these projects

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard and Nazqua like this.
  4. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Work's been a little slower this week, however I think things are about to gear up with these rock's and tree which will work as a really good anchor for progression.

Here's some shots before applying some washes with my own moss texture
    [​IMG]

And after
    [​IMG]

Now the effect im really going for with this tree is going to be one fitting the same theme as my other separate tree diorama. (Still not finished, This tree's honestly been an invaluable reference for me throughout this process and is probably one of the only models im somewhat happy with in some aspects despite my perfectionism - Most likely the reason I use it to base future projects off so much.)

This means I will be painting the mushrooms a sort of orange colour to really make them pop and drive home the tropical environment. I will also be following up the initial layers of moss with the clump foliage seen on the other tree along with a variety of plants growing up its trunk - followed up by rocks and mushrooms around the base to really integrate it with the environment.
    [​IMG]

Here's the tree on its position on the diorama, Im planning on almost 'zoning' out a small radius around the tree and really focusing on that bit with details and all for a while, that way I can have a good base to branch out from for the rest of the diorama, as well building the theme's and composition im going for here. Obviously I will integrate it using mud ect; as seen in the other tree diorama - I may even have some roots hanging down from the overhang into the cove below.

[​IMG]

Ignoring the top layer (Which was more just setting a base to work with before adding additional layers and cleaning it all up) I think the texture effects have done a good job at merging all the cork levels into one rock face with natural looking texture that will look great in proper colors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly pretty excited for the next stages in the process where I can start actually sticking things down and crafting it. Once the Diorama's finished I think it would be really satisfying to go back and write a post showing how its progressed step by step, not only that but I can also document my process in some form or another to help me with any future diorama's.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  5. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Certainly was tedious, Im not yet to finish, but I managed to get quite a good purchase using the really small magnet manual miniature drill type thing I got for this very purpose. Starting by marking the polarity of the magnets (Worst thing when you get that wrong lol) and then marking the surface they would be glued to before taking the drill to that surface and making a nice indent in the material that the magnet can sit in. This way the finished product is not only less intrusive with magnets sticking out, but also easier to do without the magnet failing to stick albeit at the cost of extra time and hassle.

6. Imrahil
    Slann

They most certainly do look very real.
    Even in these colors ;)

Great idea, That would make it look even better.

Grrr, Imrahil

7. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Sweet scene of productivity
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

---

Finished the tree trunk itself (Apart from final washes) and started going about the mud by first placing down real rock's and then doing the mud around them - The result is looking fairly good with the tree becoming integrated with the already present terrain. After the mud is fully dried out, I will go about doing another layer and a clean up before starting to add foliage.

Also with the rock's I have made a few flatter area's which could easily have something like lizard's basking on them among other things, I also left a slight opening into the tree hollow, though In not sure what I will put in there... perhaps some spiders? Let me know any suggestions

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another picture with a handful of ruins and the large skull placed around the terrain. Pretty satisfying to see how things are coming together so far.
    [​IMG]

Warden, LizardWizard, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  8. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Looking excellent so far!

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Great progress, the piece really comes to life.

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

10. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Slower than ideal progress this week, but pretty much finished the mud now as well as integrating a lot of rock's on the other side from the tree. Going to start adding ground cover over the mud, then add ferns and do the rocks. Once the top layer is fully finished will I start work on the base and the overhang. Any idea's or criticisms appreciated
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

After having realized the diorama was just sitting there for a week I decided to spark some life back into things by getting out all the different components I've gathered over the year's that Im going to use in making the foliage and bringing things to life - Not only a way to motivate me, but also I can see everything I have available so I know what I can use ect. Im going to try and have a mixture of variation and consistency within the plants to really drive home the jungle feel. Hopefully starting to place things down shortly after using some crackle effects over some area's of mud.
    upload_2021-1-8_23-35-40.png

Picked up some of these AK interactive products, hoping I can make them work well with the Diorama.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Warden, LizardWizard, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  12. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-18_17-33-30.png

Having put the Diorama on hold for a bit I've been getting into and working on some Tzeentch. The burning chariot has to be one of my favorite kits ever just because of the amount of options it gives you, as you can see below I have ended up using over 20 magnets to make it completely interchangeable between the flamer and herald, allowing both to be used separately on their own base, or flying on a disk.

[​IMG]
    upload_2021-2-18_17-36-13.png
    upload_2021-2-18_17-36-27.png
    upload_2021-2-18_17-36-42.png
    upload_2021-2-18_17-36-58.png

upload_2021-2-18_17-37-13.png

13. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Having picked up the start collecting I've built the three Screamers it comes with, using the spare heads and tails to form some smaller screamer-like creatures, perhaps I could call them Howler's? 'Squealers? Either way they look pretty cool independently and will most likely be going on the base of either the chariot, or one of the Tzeentch leaders soon to come after I have done further greenstuff work and the like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

It will be very exciting watching this army grow!

LizardWizard, Nazqua and Imrahil like this.
  15. Imrahil
    Slann

This is so awesome! I love magnets!!!
    You have done a great job.

Are there also magnets in the scrolls and things sticking out of the books, or are those just metal bits?

Grrr, Imrahil

16. Imrahil
    Slann

Good kitbashing, 'lovely' little Screamers

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Yeah, Magnetizing is incredibly satisfying. The books and scrolls are magnetized as to fit on the disk when Im running it with the herald.

18. Imrahil
    Slann

Great work, This is looking like a 'Getting the most out of your SCB Tzeentch'

Keep up the good work!

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

I've got a couple sprues worth of Screamers bits, I might have to do something similar to your Howlers. Your magnetizing skills are impressive.

Imrahil and Nazqua like this.
  20. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Managed to grab a Gaunt Summoner on Disc for pretty cheap on Ebay, When I build this guys disc and base Im going to max it out with heaps of books, candles and the works. Under the disc I will have the howlers flying

[​IMG]

[​IMG]