1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Need some help adjusting to AoS

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Trainwreck, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Trainwreck
    Jungle Swarm

Trainwreck New Member

Hey everyone,

I played WFB back in the day and still had a lot of Lizardmen lying around. So I figured I would try and adapt them to Age of Sigmar if I can. It's unfortunate that most of my unit sizes are in the weird/wrong multiples for this game.

I have the Battletome on order and it should arrive tomorrow. I'm going to post the models I currently own below and was wondering if somebody could suggest a fun list I could play at 1,000 or even 2,000 points (with some additional purchases). I'm pretty new to AoS and I'm pretty sure I still have to convert all the ones with square bases over to the circular ones, right?

Here's what I currently have. Willing to buy some additional models to bump this up to 2,000 points as well. Also, is Age of Sigmar as strict with WYSIWYG as WFB was?

Leaders:
    1x Saurus Eternity Warden
    1x Saurus Sunblood
    1x Saurus Oldblood (square base and metal)
    1x Skink Priest (old style, metal, square base, diadem version if it matters)

Battlelines:
    8x Saurus Knights (square bases)
    16x Saurus Warriors (old style with square bases, spears)
    13x Saurus guard (old style, metal, square bases)
    23x Skinks (old style, square bases, javelins)

Artillery:
    3x Salamander (metal, old style, square bases) w/ 9x Skink Handlers (metal, old style, square bases)

Other Units:
    3x Kroxigor

If it matters my primary opponent will be playing Stormcast Eternals.

I've got the scenery model on order as well. Also semi-interested in the concept of endless spells if they make sense with this list.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Erta Wanderer likes this.
  2. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a decent starting list, but you'll definitely want to get some more models. Lord Kroak is pretty much a must, he's the backbone of a lot of our best lists. Then maybe consider getting one of the Start Collecting boxes. You'll probably still want an additional couple of boxes of either Saurus Warriors or Skinks, depending on how you decide to build your army. And finally, a Saurus Astrolith Bearer is a great support hero to have. Currently, you don't have any casters, so you won't be able to use Endless Spells. But once you get some wizard models, Endless Spells are definitely worth it. Seraphon get to pay an extra 10 points for most endless spells to make it so that only we can use them, so they're really good for our army. If you want to look for them individually rather than getting the Endless Spell box, Geminids of Ul-Gysh, Balewind Vortex, Purple Sun, Burning Head and Chronomantic Cogs are some of the most popular.

You'll definitely need to convert to round bases, or buy a bunch of base converters from Etsy or Ebay if you want to keep the squares or just don't want to rebase. I can't say about official tournaments, but most of the time conversions and kitbashes are completely fine as long as they have the proper base size and are easy to identify as the correct model.

Getting a Start Collecting Seraphon box will get you a lot of value, especially if you follow the guide on this forum for kitbashing to get more models out of said box. But even if you don't want to kitbash, you'll still end up with an additional 8 Knights, 1 of which can be a Scar-Veteran on Cold One, 12 more Warriors, and either a Carnosaur or Troglodon. The Start Collecting Skinks box will get you a Skink Starpriest (one of our best buff heroes), a Bastiladon, 3 Terradons or Ripperdactyls, and 12 more Skinks.

Have you looked at the differences between Starborne and Coalesced? The sub-faction you prefer will greatly determine what units you want to get next, although they're all good in either sub-faction. Coalesced plays a bit more similarly to the Lizardmen, and has two "constellations" you can take, one of which buffs Saurus while the other buffs our behemoths. Starborne focuses on maneuverability and adds some very limited ability to summon more units. One of their constellations buffs Skinks and the other lets you deploy up to half your army in reserve so you can drop them in where you want them later.

With what you have, it would probably be better to play as Coalesced until you get a Slann or Kroak as well as some more Skinks. But again, that's up to you.

With what you have currently you could try something like this:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Koatl's Claw

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood (110)
    - General
    - Greatblade
    Saurus Sunblood (130)
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Skink Priest (70)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Blades
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)
    3 x Kroxigor (140)
    - 1x Moonhammers

Total: 1000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 78

Or you could drop the Kroxigors and do this:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Koatl's Claw

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood (110)
    - General
    - Greatblade
    Saurus Sunblood (130)
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Skink Priest (70)

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Blades
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Saurus Warriors (90)
    - Clubs

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 76

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  3. Trainwreck
    Jungle Swarm

Trainwreck New Member

Thank you Kilvakar,

This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for and gave me a lot to chew on. I'm pretty sure for my first attempt at an army I'm going to try Coalesced/Koatl's Claw. I'm having a hard time understanding why the Azyr app isn't letting me take the Koatl trait and artefact even though I have Coalesced, Koatl's Claw, and my general designated.

Aside from that I'd like to make a few adjustments to the first list you've suggested. Dropping the skinks (as I hear they are sort of bad in 2nd Ed) and picking up 10 Saurus with spears and full command (or whatever they call that now in AOS). As well as giving full command and spears to my 5 knights. To fit in a wizard I'd drop either the Old Blood or the Sunblood (who I prefer to keep) and the Skink Priest. Adding in a Starpriest (which is a model I was thinking about buying from my FLGS tomorrow).

Lastly all of the endless spells you suggested seem really fun. I'd probably buy the Malign Sorcery box and give a few of them a whirl, but maybe start this list with Geminids on the Starpriest.

Lastly, if I can find the points for it, I'd love to have a Realm-Shaper Engine as I have the model for that on order, and I think I could run it by fitting the skink priest back in.

I favor the list with the full Salamanders and Kroxigors, because those are fun units (or at least used to be in WFB).

Edit: Here's the list I came up with based on the above. Can you tell me what's illegal about it so I can figure out why Azyr is throwing validation errors?

Saurus Sunblood
    General
    Role: Leader
    Quantity: 1
    Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Command Trait: Dominant Predator

Skink Starpriest
    Role: Leader
    Quantity: 1
    Spell: Fiery Convocation

Saurus Knights
    Role: Battleline
    Quantity: 5
    Upgrade: Saurus Knight Alpha
    Upgrade: Stardrake Icon Bearer
    Upgrade: Wardrummer
    Weapon: Celestite Lance

Saurus Warriors
    Role: Battleline
    Quantity: 10
    Upgrade: Saurus Warrior Alpha
    Upgrade: Stardrake Icon Bearer
    Upgrade: Wardrummer
    Weapon: Celestite Spear

Salamander Hunting Pack
    Role: Artillery
    Quantity: 12

Kroxigor
    Role: Other
    Quantity: 3

Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh
    Role: Endless Spell

980 pts

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    Tav likes this.
  4. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with that list. Azyrr just isnt very good in my opinion. I find battlescribe to be a lot better for playing with lists

5. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Azyr app is great for having all the warscrolls on your phone, but unfortunately the app hasn't been updated properly since our new battletome released. So @Tav is right, Warscroll Builder is generally better for making your actual list.

I tried making your list on the app myself, and it shows up as valid. Make sure when you make a new army list you have it set to Vanguard (1k points). If you have it set to another battle type it won't show as valid because you don't have enough battleline units.

You should have a pretty decent list with what you chose there. Just make sure your Salamanders are screened as they're going to be your primary source of damage. Your Knights and Kroxigors should do well also. Just like in Fantasy, Kroxigors do better with Skinks nearby, so that combined with the extra shooting attacks from your Skinks having over 15 models means that they'll actually deal more damage than the Warriors, as well as buffing the Kroxgors. Unfortunately, Warriors and Skinks are both horde units, they get extra attacks when you have more than 15 of them. So a 10-man unit of Warriors is basically going to be a screen and that's about it. I'd use them to protect your Salamanders.

The Realmshaper Engine doesn't cost any points to take, so if you have it, definitely use it. Garrison a Wizard unit inside of it to extend their casting and buff range and to try and deal mortal wounds to enemy units around a single terrain piece each hero phase.