1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS new allies: drakespawn knights vs saurus knights

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by chefofwar, Jul 3, 2021.

1. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

Anyone been looking at our new allies with some interesting subs?

When I run saurus knights, I normally just run 5 as random objective grabbers, distraction etc. (I mainly dont own more than 5...)

1:1, 5 drakespawn seem better than 5 saurus knights?
    • better move
    • better save
    • better rend (on charge, excluding buffs)
    • better damage (on charge, excluding buffs)
    • cost slightly more
    • no seraphon keyword
    In a hobby ADD moment, the war hydra looks like a fun ally too...

Lizerd likes this.
  2. ArtoriusaurusRex
    Temple Guard

ArtoriusaurusRex Well-Known Member

Well, Drakespawn Knights have 3 attacks each and Saurus Knights have 5 or 7, which can also have Starpriest venom on them.

Saurus Knights definitely do more damage. Probably much more. Saurus Knights don't have rend, but Drakespawn knights don't appear to have any rend either?

Plus they can teleport or have -1 damage. 3d6 charges from Starseers, flight from Slann, exploding 6s from Scarvets, 1+ to wound from Sunbloods, free +1 to hit in Koatl's Claw, etc.

All for cheaper.

I don't really see any benefit to the Drakespawn knight except an extra 2" movement and rerolling some saves.

Lizerd likes this.
  3. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

as a city player drake spawn are kinda shit. if you want heavy cave you go demigryphs

Lizerd likes this.
  4. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Not much of a question here, Saurus Knights are leagues better than drake spawn. They might have a worse save, but they get scaly skin and far more offensive power, and overall much more efficient for their points. IMHO drakespawn offer nothing that saurus knights cant offer or exceed them at

5. chefofwar
    Chameleon Skink

chefofwar Well-Known Member

yeah checks out, the rend bonus was what interested me. but the trade offs dont seem worth it

Lizerd likes this.
  6. Zargore
    Skink

Zargore New Member

As already stated, the Saurus Knights are superior when it comes to offensive abilities. A unit of 5 Saurus Knights with spears in Koatl's Claw (Coaleced) charging will have 36 attacks and dish out a average of 9 damage against a foe with a 4+ save.

Add a Starpriest to buff them with Serpent Staff and a Scar-Vet to use his CA and you're looking at a average of 5 mortal wounds and 11 damage from normal wounds against a foe with a 4+ save.

Also as discussed above, in Coaleced the survival is quite good for Saurus Knights as a lot of units are doing multiple damage now and you can also use the all-out defence to boost the initial save to a 3+ against a o rend attack or keep the 4+ against rend -1 which seems to be the new standard in this edition.

Lizerd likes this.