1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New List for a New Player? (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Nick the Old One, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Hi there, I recently joined because I decided to start collecting these models. I have an extremely important tournament that I need to prove to my friends I'm not a pushover at Age of Sigmar. They've been playing since they were young and I only just started collecting and painting models back in June. Some rules we have for the first round, beginning Thanksgiving weekend:

- No hard proxies
    - Objective play
    - 1000pt armies
    - Army is allowed to be 15 points above / 15 points below the 1000pt threshold

These are the units I currently have and am painting vigorously:

- Skink Starseer
    - Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    - Slann Starmaster
    - Skink Starpriest (x2)
    - Saurus Oldblood
    - Skinks (x36 -- x12 from Start Collecting! Box & x24 from another box)
    - Saurus Guard (x15)
    - Saurus Warriors (x12)
    - Saurus Knights (x8)
    - Terradon Riders (x3 including Terradon Chief)
    - Bastilidon w/ Solar Engine/Ark of Sotek
    - Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur

In all likelihood, I'll either be playing Stormcast Eternals or Sylvaneth/Tzeentch in the first round - I could actually really use some advice on strategy as well if you don't mind.

I have quite the amount of bits laying around and I primarily play Kharadron Overlords, of which I have a full allied army near 2500pt if you have any allied recommendations or need to fill slots. I'm a little anxious with how its going to go but I'm gonna focus on reading the battle tome (I got the book yes I know it's online too but for some reason I find the printed version a lot more helpful).

I really appreciate the time it took you guys to read this, if you have any questions regarding the situation I'm locked in - feel free to ask! I don't bite :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

Well versus stormcast u have a blob of skinks there that have alright mortal wound output when accompanied with starpriest and skink priest.

Im not sure what u consider hard proxy? Would they let u proxy a starpriest as a priest? Also would they allow u to proxy oldblood on carno as scar vet on carno?

Those two proxies definitely would help

3. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

I think they’d be fine with it considering my friend playing Pestilens will be proxying one of his units as a Hellpit Abomination, I forget which he got but I’m almost certain that they’d let me play a Skink Priest. Is there a benefit to having both?

4. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Apologies, I also meant to add another unit I edited above -- Astrolith Bearer. They will let me go Scar Vet as well I checked!

5. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

Priest gives you plus 1 to hit until next hero phase CA. Also lets you take curse prayer which provides even more access to mortal wounds

6. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Understood. I've checked both off and as long as I have a similar unit - it can be converted to play as a different one so both the scar vet and the skink priest check out.

7. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

I think the slann with 5 guard is also a great take. Comets call spell and boardwide unbinds are pretty awesome in every list

8. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

As someone whose played against casters a lot recently, that's good to know. I'm waiting on the slann to arrive in the mail actually - mainly because I knew it was bound to happen. Would the guard act protecting the slann or focus elsewhere? Thinking about Thunder Lizard with the Bastilidon too

9. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

If you opt to go thunder lizard route the bastiladon really shines when combined with a skink priest for +1 hit and starseer for -1 to enemy save spell 'control fate'

Id probably also fit a carnosaur in that list for prime warbeast

10. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Sure thing. Would you recommend any other constellation? I read them but seeing which one would be best to go against Stormcast/Sylvaneth/Tzeentch.. it's gonna be a tough go at it.

11. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

After some more thought I might go with something like this:

Thunder Lizard

Scar vet on carno*
    -warspear
    -general
    -prime warbeast
    -amulet of destiny
    Skink priest*
    -heal
    Skink starpriest*
    -hand of glory
    -fusil of conflagration

Saurus knights x5*
    -lances
    Saurus Guard x5
    Saurus Guard x5

Bastiladon w/ solar engine

Warlord Battalion*

Strange enough, I'd actually consider guard here without slann with what you have available - can buff them up a bit through synergies with scar vet and starpriest although your buffs are probably best used on the knights/bastiladon. You don't have many battleline options and you are required to take atleast 2.

You could also swap warlord battalion for battle regiment to get one drop deployment but you'd lose amulet of destiny.

Nick the Old One likes this.
  12. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

Can you proxy the guard as saurus warriors w/ spears to get you a unit of 20?

Then I might take x5 knights x20 warriors w/ spears for battleline instead

13. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Hey! I'm not actually sure surrounding the proxy with the Saurus Guard, but I can certainly check and get back to you on that. This is looking great! I'm actually making good progress at building and getting ideas for painting from TWW2. I think my Drakenhof Nightshade actually came in the mail today to think of it... but I've been able to kitmash a lot of units too in order to make some additional heros and units!

Gonna take a bit for the Slann Starmaster and the Astrolith Bearer to get here, but other than that I'm chugging along! Thanks for putting some thought to this, it means a lot to me. If you have any other suggestions, I'm always open to hearing them as the Thanksgiving Day tournament draws closer each day...

t4tcliff likes this.
  14. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

As the date gets closer, I actually picked up the Realmshaper Engine in addition to the list! I have a question or two given my matchup vs. Sylvaneth if you wanted to provide an opinion. Also, I didn't know if it made a Fangs of Sotek or Starborne list, in general, a viable option given it does seem powerful and my Slann is well-painted!

I realize the meta is that 'monsters' are simply disgusting... but I have a good idea of the Sylvaneth army I will be facing.

He's most likely going to run Alarielle the Everchosen, which is by no means a bad but its cost is like 700+ points... which means he will only be likely to take a unit of Kurnoth Hunters in addition to a fill amount of miscellaneous foot soldiers (Dryads).

He will also be using the terrain feature, the Awakened Wyldwood and from my understanding - my Realmshaper Engine can effectively 'take it out of play' considerably!

Thanks again for your help in all this, I really appreciate it a lot.

15. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

My advice versus sylvaneth is to try to kill off your target completely within your turn especially in an alarielle list he will have access to some excellent healing spells. As sylvaneth his biggest damage dealers are really durthu and kurnoths so try to take those out of the game if they are included in his list.

I wouldnt play starborne for this match up. starborne youd want to be loading your list with salamanders. The slann is a nice addition if u can fit him into the thunderlizard list I made earlier. Sylvaneth will struggle to do much well if you can get some unbinds off

16. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

How many points are you playing now? 2000? He wont be able to use alarielle unless your playing atleast 1500

17. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Gotcha, I actually didn't know he isn't able to -- its still 1000 points. All his units/terrain I'm aware of are:

- Alarielle the Everchosen
    - Kurnoth Hunters
    - Branchwych
    - Dryads
    - Spirit of Dirthu / Treelord / Treelord Ancient (I think he has Dirthu built because I've seen the sword)
    - Spite Revenants / Tree Revenants
    - Awakened Wyldwood

I'm unsure if he has Drycha, I doubt it... but I don't believe he has any of the Endless Spells.

18. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

I'm currently in the midst of building 30 skinks!

19. t4tcliff
    Skink

t4tcliff Member

Well the nastiest thing he can bring offensively at 1000 points is probably durthu and kurnoths. Defensively his units have good armor saves all around and are easy to stack saves on. Maybe try to squeeze the starseer in for his warscroll spell control fate would work really well in a thunderlizard list letting u rend -2

If you want to try your skinks out they might be good just because they will bypass his great armor saves with their mortal wound output. If you go skink blob you need to buff them with a skink priest and starpriest. I also recommend runing them in Fangs of Sotek for the command ability it gives.

Can you post an updated list of the models you have now?

20. Nick the Old One
    Skink

Nick the Old One Member

Gotcha. I figure he will play with Dirthu and Kurnoths, however I think his goal will eventually be to move Dirthu into the Awakened Wyldwood at a point, because of the buffs. If that's the case, the Awakened Wyldwood (which he usually sets up together) is 3" and a terrain feature, meaning the proc from the Realmgate Engine can take advantage of whatever he has near that!

With regards to Thunder Lizard, what would you think the best strategy would be going with that. I know that the Fangs of Sotek would be to keep the Slann Starmaster or Skink Starpriest alive by moving wounds to the protective Saurus Guard -- but I know that I'd keep them back and only charge with the horde of Skinks.

For Thunder Lizard, I'm just a bit confused on a playstyle or focus (aside from objective control)!