1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Player: Help me make a starter list

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Scribe of Sotek, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Scribe of Sotek
    Skink

Scribe of Sotek Active Member

Hey all,

I posted a similar question a while back and got great feedback but that was before the edition change and the new points and now I have no idea what to get to start my army, luckily I didn't buy anymore seraphon stuff yet.

I'm looking to make a 1000pt or 1250pt list to learn the game with and I was wondering what the easiest way to go about this is using the models I already have (10 saurus with spears, 10 skinks with blowpipes, 1 skink priest, 1 scar veteran on carnosaur, 10 temple guard.)

I'm partly motivated by nostalgia so I like the idea of something that runs a mix of models including slann, saurus, and skinks. Is this doable?

2. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

Also motivated by nostalgia here!

A true old-school list of Blocks of Saurus with harrassing units of skinks isn't really viable anymore, as Saurus units are pretty garbage in Starborne and Skinks have a low amount of support in Coalesced.

That said, having played Lizardmen since 6th edition WHFB, heres what advice I can give:

Definitely look toward the Coalesced side of things. The toughness from scaly skin, lack of crazy teleportation Starborne has, and even the rule names are very old school feeling. Koatl's Claw is easy to understand and works well with what you have, but if you do want more dinosaurs eventually look into Stegadon's and Bastilodons, or more Carnosaurs, for Thunder Lizard.

Koatl's Claw: Most of your army in will be Saurus, 1-2 units of skinks for some speed and ranged doesn't hurt. Plus things like Stegadons, Salamanders, and priests are still excellent skink units and very classic to the army.

Thunder Lizard: More Dinosaurs, and they all have skinks on them! Your battleline will still be Saurus (preferably Knights). This is a "more competitive" but less classic feeling army.

Honestly I would recommend the Saurus Start Collecting either way. one of the highest value box sets out there. You can make a Carnosaur (2 is definitely a good idea in a Saurus army), 10 Saurus, 5 Knights, an Astrolith Bearer, Scar-vet on Coldone, AND a Sunblood easily, and also a Troglodon if you get clever with greenstuff. And still have 2 spare knights to fill out a box of 8 into an even 10 (15 total).

How to here: https://www.lustria-online.com/thre...rom-your-start-collecting-seraphon-box.20560/

1250 Point "Classic" KC army. Only needs a Slann and that start collecting

Scar Veteran on Carnosaur - Eviserating Blade
    Slann Starmaster - General: Arcane Might, Celestial Apotheosis
    Skink Priest - Heal
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer OR Sunblood

10 Skinks w/ Blowpipes
    5 Saurus Guard
    10 Saurus w/ Spears
    10 Saurus w/ Spears
    5 Saurus Knights

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  3. 2Hands
    Skink

2Hands Member

Hello there.

I also started recently with some friends and we got quite some army's at the 1k range to get a feeling for the game and the factions. I think what cyberhawk94 said is the best you can do with what you already got. Especially the Start Collecting conversion is insane! Still thought I would show you what my first 1k for Seraphon are:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Koatl's Claw
    - Mortal Realm: Ghur
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Bloodthirsty

Leaders
    Lord Kroak (430) in Battle Regiment
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (215) in Battle Regiment
    - General
    - War Spear
    - Command Trait: Dominant Predator
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade

Battleline
    5 x Saurus Knights (110) in Battle Regiment
    - Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights (110) in Battle Regiment
    - Lances
    10 x Saurus Warriors (105) in Battle Regiment
    - Spears

Endless Spells & Invocations
    Bound Suffocating Gravetide (30)

Core Battalions
    Battle Regiment

Total: 1000 / 1000
    Reinforced Units: 0 / 2
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 60

You can of course drop the Endless Spell, wich is a filler for me more than anything else, to run your Gruard instead of the Warriors. Kroak is hard to kill on 1k points already, your Guard would make that a real pain to achive.

I wanted an army that can field a range of tactics already and thats (and the new modelle of course!) is why I like Kroak, even though 430points is a big chunk of your army. He gives you so mutch to do with the right amount off punch behind it. Making a 1k army that has enough CP and spells to get some tactic into the phases.

Scribe of Sotek and Christopher like this.
  4. Scribe of Sotek
    Skink

Scribe of Sotek Active Member

Thank you both for the feedback! I like both lists, although I will probably aim for the first list by cyberhawk94 to start. Although I do like the idea of running your list, 2Hands, and swapping out kroak for a slann with the new tome artefact and more cavalry when I have the models.

I was actually thinking since I have a single saurus knight I would run that as a scar vet on cold one instead of the priest to use up the spare points and because I only have 10 skinks to buff at 1250pts. Then at higher points I would run that scar vet as a regular cold one knight champion because 3 boxes of 8 cav plus him allows me to field 5 units of 5. Is that a reasonable thing to aim for or would that be too much cav?

5. cyberhawk94
    Cold One

cyberhawk94 Active Member

I mean, I totally ran that much cav all the time in 2.0 under Koatl's Claw. Its a bit harder now with the new coherency making units of 10 finnicky, but sounds fun to me!