1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS NEW *rumor*

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Logan8054, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

with all this talking about saurus and guards, now i'm planning a new list...

Coalesced,
    Slann, retinue of 15 guards buffed by Mystic shield, both supported by astrolith bearer and, who knows, a starpriest and maybe emerald lifeswarm.
    then just move them forward.

edit: Kroak would be even better, but i fear i woud invest too much points into this block...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

if you want to go all out defense then pull in a war mage for phas protection or a frost heart. stacking negatives is remarkably strong.

Kilvakar and Putzfrau like this.
  3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

IMO it's just better with warriors. Cheaper, better rally target, etc.

I like the idea tho, I've used 30 warriors as an anvil wuitr a bit and definitely enjoy the amount of defensive buffs they can take. Mystic, AoD, control fate, bless, lifeswarm. They get pretty tanky pretty fast.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Kilvakar likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

The downside is that the slann would be much more vulnerable to be sniped by shooting.
    But yes, you would also have more battlefield control.

Kilvakar and Putzfrau like this.
  5. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah can still have 1 unitnof guard to protect him if you want, just think if yoy want to double reinforce a unit to be an anvil I'd personally just go with warriors but it's not a huge difference either way.

I've had a lot if fun trying it out, definitely recommend!

Kilvakar likes this.
  6. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

One off the wall idea I had was to alter the Slann warscroll and model. Give the Slann about 5 more Wounds, bringing it to 12 total; I know that's fewer Wounds than he could have, but I was trying to strike a balance. Improve the Slann's combat stats a bit, and raise his points by about 75-100pts. In addition redo the Slann model to have a larger, more scenic base, with either Saurus "guardians" or the Eternity Warden, protecting him (a la Katakros); at least give the Warden something to do. This is kind of a return to WHFB, where the Slann has his guard with him at all times.

My main concerns about this is that it would hamper versatility. Currently, we can have a cheaper Slann on 50mm base, with or without extra Guard points, but this would change that. I was just trying to come up with a way to keep the Slann protected, as in the lore, and give Guard something else to do on the battlefield.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    Putzfrau likes this.
  7. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Lorewise those changes wouldn't make much ssense

8. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

How so?

9. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Slann while being more than capable of defending themselves with magic always have this thing where they always. ALWAYS have a cohort of varying sizes with them warriors, skinks, guards, ect.. they are basically the president of each of their respective temple cities they have a horde of meatshields that revere them for they are the link to the old ones and what their destiny entails like what he has as an idea would work. But for it to really encapture what he's going for. He should have a dread saurian base and a horde basically below him.
    Yeah that would be a cool look. The more I think about it the more I like the idea. Give it like a half hour I'll probably come around

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  10. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

You know what yeah I fucks with this idea a huge base with a bunch of skinks holding up a planquin that would be dope

Just A Skink likes this.
  11. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yesterday's article about the new Idoneth character: Akhelian Thrallmaster

KfORMbqLR8Rompnz.jpg

As I read this: "At the start of Each Combat phase, you must pick 1 of the following fighting stances..."
    So I can pick one for my own Combat phase and a different one for my opponents combat phase?

This happens before declaring the order of attack, right?

Grrr, Imrahil

Just A Skink likes this.
  12. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Whoa!
    I'm not very clear on all of the 3.0 rules, but since these are "fighting stances" can you still issue and/or receive commands? For example, could a unit of Thralls have +1 to hit (All Out Attack) and re-roll 1s (fighting stance)?

Erta Wanderer and Imrahil like this.
  13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

This is the type of stuff that all minor footheroes should have. It'd do so much to make something like an oldblood on foot good.

Imrahil likes this.
  14. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yes, this does not seem to count as a command.

Grrr, Imrahil

Just A Skink and Erta Wanderer like this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

I so love when gw introduces a strict limitation for "balance" (in this case, a single ca / phase) and then BAM, suddenly some armies get a free pass around it.

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I mean, slapping a variant of the rule of one on random things to "balance" the outliers has always lead to issues. Support focused foot heroes like this need abilities like this, that are always relevant and don't become impossible to use simply because hero #2 did his thing first and the rule of one states hero #1 can now no longer do his thing.

Without abilities such as this you get stuff like the oldblood on foot. A hero who's sole "advantage" is doing his unique CA once per turn (assuming you even have the CP and a viable target for this), and in that case that unique CA better be really freaking good to warrant actually using him.

So can't say I'm surprised that they are reintroducing passive auras again...

Admittadly, it does make GW look rather unorganized, and especially if your faction got an update just before the rule-change it can be a very frustrating experience.

Imrahil and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  17. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

this kind of describes the entirety of the SCE book. din't take them long to start undoing their "water tight rules"

Cuetzpal Pilli and Canas like this.
  18. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I must say I like the stances for the Idoneth. It seems like it should go a long way to help make the Namarti side of the army more useable.

19. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

To everyone's point, maybe these "stances" are examples of rules to help 32mm units. Maybe we'll get something like this eventually?

Imrahil and Kilvakar like this.
  20. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the Fyreslayer hero does something similar from the description we've got for him. It would be pretty nice to see these kinds of buffs given to foot heroes since as a lot of people have pointed out foot heroes in AoS just aren't that good most of the time.