1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog NIGHTBRINGER's Painting Blog - 1000 point (not so) year end Chaos Dwarfs challenge (78.2%)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

What a great way to spent newyearsday!
    Glad to see you picked up the brush again :artist:

And I have to say I do very much like the result. Nice colorscheme on the goblins. Unitfillers is the greatest thing about square bases in WHFB. Sad thing this isn't quite possible in AoS.

I love the color of the horse and the Orange theme to the pointy ear. My LotR pointy ears also dress in Orange ;)

Hope you'll finish your unitfiller soon ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Both the Wood Elf and the Gnoblars look pretty good imho.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Thank you! :)

The erosion of the paint occurred when I had to take them off the blue tack in order to paint areas that I could not otherwise reach. Even so, I've never had this problem before, at least not to this degree.

That is definitely a fair option. It would get rid of the paint wearing off, but would make it more difficult to reach certain areas of the models.

It was a fun day! :)

Thank you. I tried something a little bit different. I wanted to them stand out from the Hobgoblins who will be painted orange.

I like them. It helps things rank up more easily, breaks up the monotony of the unit (and the painting of the unit) and gives a good opportunity to tell a little story with the models. Almost like a mini version of what the Kings of War war system allows you to do.

Glad you like them! :)

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Killer Angel ... the only one that believed... and time has proven you wise! :)

best.jpg good (1).jpg good (2).jpg good (3).jpg good (4).jpg good (5).jpg

And with that my hiatus is officially done. One entire month without making a single post (January 13 - February 13).

3527eca74d95f7108d931987b63b67d514375330.png

Plus this is good progress for my goal of having 1000 points painted for my Chaos Dwarfs army!!

Bowser, Warden, ASSASSIN_NR_1 and 6 others like this.
  5. Imrahil
    Slann

Hoozah, he has been awekened :D:p
    And he emerges with pride and a painted model:eek::eek:

Great work!!
    I love the scenic display, lots to see.
    Like the colors of the goblins and great work on the Wood and Iron parts.

The Fire/lava gives it a great chaosy feel

This leaves me wanting more of your painted models ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and LizardWizard like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I am happy twice!
    One for your coming back, and one 'cause i have been proven right in trusting you! :D

Bowser, Imrahil, NIGHTBRINGER and 2 others like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you. It's nice to be back!

You were the only one who trusted in me... I didn't even trust in me! That also means that you were the only one who was right.

And more on the way! I have two more finished models left to post!!

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

I plan to use the lava effect to tie all the models together in the army. It takes me a while to pull off the effect, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Let's get to it. I look forward to seeing it!! :):)

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

You may have taken a month to finish it, but now I can see why you did so! That is an excellent paint job, and I love the idea of one Gnoblar acting as the overseer of the other two who are straining with food and drink supplies in imitation of his Chaos Dwarf superiors!

The lava effect of course is especially fitting for Chaos Dwarfs and I’m sure your Chaos Warriors have similar basing, don’t they? That’d really tie in your two Chaos armies nicely!

I notice that, for the first time, you’ve actually changed your avatar! I can’t see that Chaos Dwarf in your blog, are you waiting to finish off his unit before you include him?

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you! :):)

That's exactly the theme I was going for. I figured that the Chaos Dwarfs bully the Hobgoblins, and the Hobgoblins bully the Gnoblars, and even the Gnoblars bully those weaker among their own kind (because they can't bully anybody else).

The basing scheme is similar but a bit different between the two armies. For the Chaos Warriors I'm going for more of a desolate effect, without any lava. The WC bases although using the same colour family are quite a bit brighter in terms of the grey highlights, while the greys on the CD bases more muted and are much closer to black.

My aim is to have the two schemes belonging to the same family but still maintain differentiation between the two. As such, I'm reserving the lava strictly for my Chaos Dwarfs.

I haven't posted him yet but I plan to do so in the coming days... based on my painting speed there is no point in waiting for the entire unit to be finished (as that may take forever :oops:).

I have a Chaos Spawn to post next (I finished him late last year, but only gotten around to taking pictures now) and then lastly I'll post the Infernal Guard pictures. I painted a Dwarf!!! That's a first!!

Bowser, Imrahil, LizardWizard and 2 others like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'll be interested to see him, is he one of the GW plastics or another company's model?

Also what do you think of Spawn in terms of gameplay? Because I was thinking of converting Morghur the Shadowgave for my Beastmen at some point in the future as a fun choice and if I do, I'll need some Chaos Spawn for him to spam during the game (not to mention a sacrificial unit of Ungors to turn into them)

Bowser, LizardWizard and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's one of GW's plastics. It's kind of an ugly model in my opinion (which is why it was used as a test piece), I got it as part of an army deal a while back.

I'm not a big fan myself. I don't think a spawn has ever made it into one of my lists.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Speaking of which...
    PXL_20210213_222629685.jpg PXL_20210213_222643553.jpg PXL_20210213_222652893.jpg PXL_20210213_222706632.jpg PXL_20210213_222722662.jpg PXL_20210213_222741682.jpg

Bowser, Warden, Explodingzeb and 4 others like this.
  13. Imrahil
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you. :)

I was mainly just experimenting with reds & browns. Then since the model didn't really matter, I decided to go wild and give it an infusion of blue/turquoise (normally I would "play it safe" and paint the nails/claws/hooves bone colour).

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've never been able to find a paint scheme I was happy with for my Lizardmen, WoC or TK. Finally found one for my Chaos Dwarfs. He is very time intensive to paint with all the edge highlighting, black lining and armour crackle effect (all of which I am extremely slow and inefficient at), but I am extremely happy with the results. I still have 22 of these guys to paint (plus a unit filler of some sorts).

Another 22 points towards my year-end 1000 points challenge!

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl as promised:

Close (2).jpg Close (3).jpg Close (4).jpg Close (5).jpg Close (6).jpg
    Close (1).jpg

Bowser, chefofwar, Warden and 6 others like this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

That looks great for sure.
    I like the fire freehand and the grim dark feel to it.

I would love to see a full unit of these ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Chaos Dwarfs are possibly the most grimdark faction in all WHFB

Bowser, Imrahil, NIGHTBRINGER and 2 others like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you! :):)

He's one of my favourite models I've ever painted. I am never really pleased with my paint jobs, but I admittedly really like this one.

So would I. I wish it didn't take me such a long period of time to complete a single model. Maybe one day (a small unit, I currently own 23 of these guys)!

I never thought of it that way, but you might very well be right. I'm trying to think of who contends with them in terms of grimdark. Dark Elves... maybe?

19. Imrahil
    Slann

True, but the the colorscheme helps a lot!

Grrr, Imrahil

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

True! If they were bright pink they might come off as less grimdark :p. I'm glad the paint scheme was able to convey its intended effect.