1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Wargames Manufacturers News: Mantic is determined to beat GW at selling something

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Not really a fan of the Mantic lizard range (though I do like and own some of there undead) but it is good to see them expanding it!

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Mantic have announced they are going to (finally) revamp their Empire of Dust range, and so far they have teased new plastic Skeletons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plastic Revenant Cavalry (They've confirmed that the barding is optional for the steeds, so Tomb Kings Skeleton Horsemen can be built from the set):
    [​IMG]

And improved resin Enslaved Guardians (Ushabti in Tomb King parlance):
    [​IMG]

I've always liked the more ornate look of the Empire of Dust range, and these models certainly bring that to the fore, not to mention that they look a lot better than the current metal ones (which are still decent in my eye but certainly needed improvement). I'd like to think that this is just the tip of the iceberg as well - given these chaps won't be arriving until the second quarter of the year, I imagine Mantic won't spill all the beans until around March/April, so I'll be kept in suspense until then!

3. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

ugh. Weapons are cartoonishly big, and knowing Mantic's plastics, the detail is going to be mushed.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

5. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Nope, but somebody has to get the message across that affordable plastic Tomb Kings are back! ;)

@Lord-Marcus perhaps these upcoming Norba Skeletons are more to your taste? (Forgot to post these in this thread but posted them in the other two threads their Mantic rivals are in):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Certainly much closer to the GW style, with more accurate weapon proportions, particularly nice shield designs, Egyptian Headdress heads and hopefully more accurate body proportions than the GW originals too, though of course Norba have a bit of a reputation regarding their delivery times (three weeks according to @Lizards of Renown)

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I like those. I heavily dislike Norba, however. Mainly the reasons you mentioned.

Yes, the Nemes (headdress) is a nice touch.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Among the many projects they have currently in production, Wargames Atlantic have finally released the sets of Conquistadors and Aztecs they've been working on for such a long while:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both sets look pretty good-value and high-quality sets, and are great for anyone interested in New World wargaming. The Conquistadors could also have a use in an Estalia army using Eliasson's rules, and the Aztecs could perhaps be used to represent an army of human worshippers of the Old Ones if anybody's been humming and hawing about how to represent such an concept on the tabletop.

@Warden in particular I think might have a use for these with his fascination for the Americas conflicts.

Bowser, Warden, Lord-Marcus and 2 others like this.
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

just an FYI, these are on pre-order, not general release.

Also, although I don't normally brag, I did the historical research for these two sets.

I'm also a retailer and have them for preorder at $5 USD off retail.

Bowser, Tk'ya'pyk, Imrahil and 3 others like this.
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

For the company you mean?

If so, that's brilliant!

10. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

That would be correct sir, along with the British rifles and quite a few unreleased/in progress sets. As well as more to come.

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

BrotherSutek, Bowser, Warden and 2 others like this.
  12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I've been waiting for them to show more on these chaps, and they don't disappoint one bit, it's about time some plastic Bronze Age Egyptians were made, both for Bronze Age wargaming and as living Nehekharans for Warhammer Fantasy - time to start writing a new army list...

Bowser and Lord-Marcus like this.
  13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

You and me both

14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Those aztecs are nice! Are they up for purchase anywhere yet or just being announced? Could not find a link.

15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They are certainly now up on Wargames Atlantic's website as a finished product (and were announced a fair while back), so I imagine anywhere that stocks Wargames Atlantic's plastics will get some of these in stock soon

Bowser likes this.
  16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

they are up for preorder, both on wargames atlantic's website, as well as my own for $5 off retail.

17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

shipment is due early feb i believe

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Norba are on a bit of a roll now, as alongside their upcoming Tomb Kings, they've already released another breakthrough - plastic Fimir!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Interesting that they've gone the route of making their iterations of these much-maligned cyclopean reptiles human-size and on 25mm bases, as had originally been intended, rather than the Monstrous Infantry versions that were cooked up in 3rd Edition and replicated in 8th Edition - anyone who has toyed with converting a Fimir army based on the HeroQuest versions will be pleased!

I'm working on another fan-made list that melds Fimir in with the AoS Kruleboyz (which in Fantasy will be called Boggarts based upon a small amount of fluff from the Greenskins 8th Ed Book) to make a Denizens of the Swamps list, so these chaps will provide some excellent additional inspiration for the list.

Any Fimir fans hereabouts who'd be eager to grab some of these to use with the army list?

Bowser and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  19. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

These are not plastic. Norba generally sells resin models

Bowser likes this.
  20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They did originally, but I remember they had a material swap not that long ago to what they claimed was a material more like plastic. Of course I cannot say for sure because I have never bought any Norba models, but I definitely remember them saying they were replacing their resin with a plastic material.

@Lizards of Renown you bought their Heirotitan after the change, was it particularly plastic-y?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.