1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Painting of Renown! (Just kidding... but this is my blog)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Lizards of Renown, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Similar yes, but you want a little more paint still on there than you do when drybrushing. Otherwise it won't transfer onto the model cleanly. If you have paper towel around you can dab it on there until you are happy with the amount it is leaving behind, basically practice dabs haha. I'd suggest trying it out on just a sheet of paper first to get the hang of it before doing on your freshly painted model.

With regards to the wash, just painting it in the recesses would look better, but as @Tyranitar said it would definitely take longer. Another option is to paint it all over but as you are doing it, clean off your brush and absorb and wipe away the wash from the raised and flatter areas. This would best be done going section by section so the wash doesn't start to dry before you can clean it up.

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Thanks guys. I’ll do just the recesses I think.

And I’ll try the dabbing technique @Explodingzeb :)

3. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, so I did the reddish-brown thing (mixed Mephiston Red with (I think) Steel Legion Drab) and I like the colour. I just need to tidy up a bit using Wraithbone.

IMG_20210610_020702.jpg

IMG_20210610_020717.jpg

So, next is highlights on the bone and red areas. Then the washes.

Please help with a couple of questions guys:

1) on the highlights for the bone areas, I guess I use white? Seems silly to do a bone-white mix which will practically be white.

2) I'm thinking of doing washes all over the bone areas to give it more of an ancient feel (then do the patent-pending @Explodingzeb weathering process). Any thoughts on this?

Otherwise, after highlights, shade and weathering, I think I'm done.

Oh, and basing. Which I'll do PVA glue, sand then work out what colours to paint the sand if it doesn't look good by itself.

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

He is looking good! The red brings some more life to him

Good call, if I say so.

If shading ends up making it to dark you could add an extra highlight, but that is up to your preference.

Grrr, Imrahil

5. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

I really like the reddish colour you used. Good choice

Using washes over all the bone will make the highlighting easier. It will create more definition and contrast. After the wash you can do a highlight with your original bone colour and then with either a mix of that with white or white by itself.

For basing, I would suggest painting over the sand PVA mix. The sand on its own would likely look out of place unpainted I think.
    You can paint it a desert yellowish or darker bone colour, wash with sepia, then drybrush with a much lighter bone colour for the sand.

6. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

That red looks great, not grabbing too much attention while adding some visual interest.

I agree with @Imrahil and @Explodingzeb to do a shade over the model then do a bone highlight, and maybe finish with some edge highlights of pure white on the armor plates. I would focus the white edge highlights on the upper portion of the model, i.e. the face, shoulders, arms, and upper torso. The white will pull attention as it will show as the brightest color on the model so you want the attention on the upper half. You could also add a touch of white to each tips of the flames and some silver highlights on the tip of his weapon of you like.

7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Right.

So I think I've f*****d this up on the shading.

I rewatched the Midwinter Minis instruction video and it definitely seemed like I needed to put the shade all over the model. I did that (Agrax Earthshade) and then it looked crappy, especially the face.

I got a bit freaked out and tried painting on bone again on the face after the shade was dry, but now you can't see the mouth.

Is there a way I can remove paint from the face without messing up the rest of the model? Like scraping gently with the blut side of a knife?

:(

Maybe the rest of the body will be okay once highlights are done? Still seems too much for the rest...

IMG_20210614_010019.jpg

IMG_20210614_010029.jpg

On a more positive note, I did the white highlights on the blue flames and I think it came out well.

IMG_20210614_010100.jpg

8. Imrahil
    Slann

This might work fine for a specific area. Be careful not to damage the sculpt itself.

I think the was looks good it definitely gives a good depth to the model. A round of highlight/drybrush lifts the top surfaces and create even more depth and bring back the life in the color.

This definitely looks very good!

Grrr, Imrahil

9. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

I think it looks great overall, don't sweat too much in the middle stages, the last layers of highlights always bring it all together. You should be able to scrape away some excess paint, just be careful as Imrahil suggested

10. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

From the look of the picture, you can still faintly see the mouth. You could use a dark brown to paint into the mouth recess again to make it more pronounced, then tidy up around it with bone colour again.

The fire looks good :)

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

You mean a brown wash?

I just have a concern about putting too much over it, as the mouth feature is already pretty faint...

Bowser and Explodingzeb like this.
  12. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Either a brown wash or a thinned down brown paint, carefully painted into the mouth recess.

Bowser, Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, so I did drybrushing and highlights on the model.

At this point, I'm going to stop torturing myself and just do basing and then finish. I think it looks decent. I need to practice more on the washes and doing detail work (eyes and mouth) but I know that I'll just drive myself crazy doing corrections.

IMG_20210615_010243.jpg

IMG_20210615_010254.jpg

So basing, then work out next project.

14. Imrahil
    Slann

He is looking good, mate!

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser and Lizards of Renown like this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

I do white scar as my primary white highlight for bone, ill sometimes do an under highlight of that white scar with Pallid Wych Flesh if i want to do that extra. But white scar highlighting a ridge, eye socket/eye brow, etc helps make it more believable

Edit: of course after i post this i see the jext post haha, your guy is lookin great!

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

This does look really great btw

17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks mate :)

Bowser likes this.
  18. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Great work on that colossus!

19. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Thanks a lot! :D

Just need to get some sand and rocks and do the base now.

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Okay, so my basing materials finally arrived. Got a big thing of PVA glue (probably way overkill big) and some sand samples from Ebay.

15C539E8-72B8-4AF0-822A-EF8440EA7B03.jpeg

I figure I’ll paint the base black first, then put down the sand (planning to use the bottom right stuff) and then add a rock.

What do you guys reckon?

LoR