1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Piling in from 6" away without charging.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by NecridHydra, Mar 13, 2021.

1. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I got wrecked from a S2D player. He bought 9 Varanguards under the KNIGHTS OF THE EMPTY THRONE alliance (Wrath of the Everchosen). Made them his General and gave them the Grasping Plate artefact:

Grasping Plate: The unit bearing this artefact is eligible to fight in the combat phase if it is within 6" of an enemy unit instead of 3", and it can move an extra 3" when it piles in.

He was like 24" away and moved 19" running plus a +3 to move from a guy with a whip. He was like 5" from my Skinks and Astrolith (photo) and then he piled in. Is that move legal? Sounds strange to me that he can activate a unit 6" away. I thought it'd work as Kavalos Deathriders command ability:

Deathrider Wedge: [...] in the following combat phase, that KAVALOS DEATHRIDERS unit can move an extra 3" when it piles in.

Extra question I didn't include in the title, can he attack my SAB if he's behind an obstacle like he is in the image?

Attached Files:

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. MackiMac
    Ripperdactil

MackiMac Well-Known Member

In this case, yes its legal. Only because it eligible to fight within 6” instead of 3”.

But you will need to watch out. Not all units that have a longer pile in move than normal are allowed to pile in from outside 3”. Like Tree-revenants for example.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

6'' activation and pile in is the single best tech in the game and i will die on that sword. It functionally gives you run and charge (because you can run and pile into combat), retreat and charge (because you can retreat and still pile into combat) along with so much just free movement.

In this case you gotta deploy outside his maximum threat range (in this case 25''). Also, varanguard can attack twice if a unit is within 3, so you can situate your units so if one gets wiped out there isn't another within 3 for him to activate again.

I'm playing a game against 9 varanguard (mark of nurgle tho) on sunday thats being streamed. I'll post a link when it happens.

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

all the yes and it works as one of the best defense abilities as well if you use it right. if you force the opponent to fight and then pile in then they can't hit you back

LizardWizard, Imrahil and Putzfrau like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Absolutely agree. Fly is a close second.

6. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

To answer your extra question, melee attacks don't require LOS. So if it's in range of the melee weapons, it can be attacked.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

Its why i rate slaanesh seekers build. Alot of people rag on slaanesh as a whole but i truly believe it can take on almost everything if you play it well

LizardWizard likes this.