1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Plague of Rust: Who is effected when cast on a unit + character (and the character leaves the unit)?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 6, 2019.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

This question spawned out of the following question on a Chaos Dwarf tactica thread (quoted below).

@Scalenex : you have me intrigued. I was certain that the same ruling would apply to Plague of Rust as it does to Dark Subjugation. Both are hex spells that apply a permanent effect on the enemy.

How should the spell interaction with the unit + character be played in the case of Plague of Rust? And if played differently from Dark Subjugation, why?

2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I would say that a character would still have his/her armor save penalized after leaving a unit hit by Plague of Rust. It was a physical affliction.

A character leaving a unit hit by Dark Subjugation would regain his Ld in my opinion. The psychological effect was centered on the group. Chaos Dwarfs are all about subjugating groups. Once outside the unit the character should be free of the mass panic caused by the magically cursed groupthink.

On the same token a character joining that unit would gain the pyschological affliction whilst a character joining a Plague of Rust unit would not gain the physical affliction.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Interesting. To me, rules-wise, the effect of Dark Subjugation is no different than Plague of Rust. Both are hex spells that impart a permanent debuff. Fluff-wise I can understand your differentiation, but rules-wise they seem like they should behave in the exact same manner.

It's a tricky one!

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

As I've said in the other thread, i tend to believe that the character is affected by the permanent debuff, even if it leaves the unit.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

It would seem logical that anyone in a unit with the spell cast on them are affected until the spell is dispelled or (as in Plague of Rust) permanently.

They were all hit by the spell, so are all affected even if someone tries to weasel out of it by leaving the unit.

I'm pretty sure there's something in the BRB on this, I'll check it out.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I think you're both right to a degree.

In the BRB, under Characters and Units, subheading Spells:

When a character joins a unit that is under the effect of a spell that affects the entire unit, the character only benefits or suffers from the effects of the spell whilst he remains in the unit. Similarly, if a charcyer is the subject of a spell that is capable of affecting a unit, the effect will also apply to any unit he joins, for as long as he remains part of it, and the spell lasts.

I think the key statement is the last bit "and the spell lasts.

Plague of Rust is not remains in play. It just affects everything in the target unit. So anyone there at time of casting is affected permanently.

It would be the same with Dark Subjugation. The spell isn't remain in play but causes a permanent effect.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This might be of interest. This is (in my opinion) the best interpretation: http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...-paper-scissors-chart.9489/page-2#post-272403