1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Game of Thrones trial by combat... who do you choose as your champion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Mar 25, 2021.

?

In a trial by combat, which GoT character do you choose to be your champion?

1. Bronn

2. Brienne of Tarth

3. Sandor Clegane (The Hound)

4. Loras Tyrell

5. Gregor Clegane (The Mountain)

6. Jamie Lannister

7. Ser Barristan Selmy

8. Oberyn Martell

9. Jorah Mormont

10. Khal Drogo

11. Robert Baratheon

12. Syrio Forel

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

835777883ab3b058fc74436c4782b1a3.jpg

The rules in brief:
    • any champion you choose, will fight to the best of their abilities
    • you don't know who your opponent will be, but it will be a skilled combatant from GoT (including the possibility of anyone from this list who you didn't choose)
    • the fight is one-on-one in an arena (no outside influences or shenanigans)
    • combatants fight on foot (no mounts)
    • you may choose your champion as they appear at any point within any of the 8 seasons of the show (but not before, so you can't have a young version of Selmy, but you can chose Jamie Lannister before he lost his hand)
    • your combatant is armed with the close combat weapons (no ranged weapons) and armor that they are shown to use/own in the Game of Thrones show

Choose wisely and discuss.

P.S. I fully acknowledge that the final season of the show (or even earlier seasons for some people) was a flaming pile of dog shit. That said, the show did introduce us to some great characters and this should be a fun little exercise.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Mrs. NIGHTBRINGER has cast her vote. Without knowing my vote, she chose the same champion as I had (although we had discussed this topic years ago before the show had concluded).

3. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I've never watched the shows, only read the 5 books that are out so far, and it has been a while so I don't remember, is trail by combat always to the death, or can it end in one fighter yeilding? If the latter that may come into play depending on what I have to offer my champion to drive them to victory.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A good question. If I recall correctly it has always been to the death in each instance that it occurs in the show (although I could be mistaken, its been quite some time since I watched the earlier seasons in their entirety).

For the sake of this poll/discussion, let's assume that it is to the death and both fighters will fight to the very best of the their abilities. You have no need to offer your champion any incentive, as soon as you choose them, they will fight to 100% of their maximum ability (as does their opponent). Neither your champion or their opponent will ever yield.

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

My pick was the first Dude on the Middle row.

I never saw an episode: so the guy from the picture better be name number 5 which is the one I picked.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yup, a solid choice.

Gregor Clegane (The Mountain)

7. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I decided to go with Bronn, again based on portrayal in the books as I haven't seen the show. He's a no-nonse fighter willing to do whatever is needed to do to win, understands his limitations and advantages, and won't get distracted with trying to show off during the fight.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

An interesting choice. Admittedly Bronn did not make my top 5, but you make some good points! He definitely has self-awareness on his side.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I would have picked Arthur Dayne... :p

That said, i have a couple of candidates... later i will elaborate

10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I picked Bronn

Exactly for this reason as well :)

Grrr, Imrahil

11. Imrahil
    Slann

Well there was the fight between the Hound and Lord Beric Dondarrion in which he technically died but then was brought back. So it was still to the death.

Grrr, Imrahil

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I chose the Hound.

I've only ever watched clips of this show (knowing full well if I started watching just how addicted I would be) and his character was my favourite. No idea if he'd win in the end, but he wins a fair few fights.

13. btrain16
    Saurus

btrain16 Active Member

Syrio Forel - First Sword of Braavos!

14. Killer Angel
    Slann

Let's see...

1) Bronn.
    a capable fighter, smart, fights using any advantage he can get because he knows his limitations... but indeed, he has limitations. In the books, he simply refuses to go against the Mountain because he knew he would have been toast, no matter how many gold or noble titles Tyrion could offer him.
    So, he's strong and smart, but not the top dog between the possible choices.

2) Brienne
    She's a competent fighter, but she's not in the same league of some other ones.

3) The Hound
    He's got the same positive qualities of Bronn, and probably he's even stronger. High pain treshold, which helps a lot. A good candidate.

4) Loras Tyrell
    Amazing tournament fighter, but i don't know if i'll trust him on a dirty fight with no rules. I'll pass.

5) The Mountain
    this one is a beast. his only disadvantage is that he's slow, but this could be mitigated by the fact that i would pick him in the "zombie version". No chance to slow him down, to hurt him of fatigue him. A relentless monster, you'd really need to literally cut him piece by piece. A very solid pick, in an arena fight for now he's my first choice. Let's see who's next...

6) jamie
    eh, with both hands he's a hell of a fighter. He's among the most skilled swordsmen in westeros, but he himself acknowledges that there are some other ones stronger than him. A good pick, but i don't know if it can beat Sandor.

7) Barristan Selmy
    if only he would be younger...

8) Oberyn Martell
    Oh, i like him... fast, very skilled, uses poisoned weapons, got a greater reach with the lance.
    Alas, we saw him fight only once, in a circumstance where he was clouded by vengeance and the will to play cat and mouse. Could be able to kill the majority of the opponents in this list and also many other ones... but can he surpass the mountain?

9) jorah Mormont
    i would put him around the same league of Bronn, maybe slightly lower. It's a no.

10) Khal Drogo
    truly amazing fighter, but i fear the lack of armor can be his doom in a challenge like this one. I'll pass.

11) Roberth Baratheon
    eh? no.

12) Syrio Forel
    i love this guy. he's skilled as much as anyone else, if not more. He probably can judge his opponents even better than Bronn, and was able to hold back armored opponents armed with a training stick... pretty sure he's a deadly opponent, he would be surely a good pick, i'd put him an a level even superior to Oberyn.

so, my candidates are ATM (and in this order):
    1) Syrio
    2) Undead Mountain
    3) Oberyn

(with the Mountain and Syrio very closed)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  15. Imrahil
    Slann

Very nice and good observation of all contestants.

Grrr, Imrahil

LizardWizard and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  16. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I thought about Syrio, but in the books at least we never see him fight. The guys come to attack and he tells Arya to run and we don't know if he lasts even two seconds against the attackers. If he is actually shown fighting in the show I go with him as he seems like the even better Bronn. Though I still like Bronn because even though he knows he can't beat people like the Mountain part of me thinks he'd find a way if he was forced into that situation. Of course he's also one of my favorite characters in the books so that may cloud my choice.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Ok, that is a much better death for him then in the books. Yeah, give me Syrio, with Bronn as my second. (Unfortunately I don't see a way to change my vote)

LizardWizard and Imrahil like this.
  19. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Also do they show any of the young Robert Barrathon dominating battles during his rebellion when young with his warhammer? Because as he's described in the books in flashbacks he seems like on the Hounds level at least.

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

In the books he fights when the Lannister guards come for Arya.
    5 of them attacks him, and in a matter of few seconds all of them were dying or incapacitated (he broke the knuckles of one of them, stabbed in the eye another one, broke the adam's apple of a third).
    Then it came the guy in full plate...

Yeah, the more i think on it, the more i'm sold. He's fast, exceptionally skilled, knows fighting techniques that can take by surprise the majority of westeros warriors, and most of all he's smart. Against undead Clegane he would probably fight avoiding the blows and cutting tendons and the like, to simply bring down the brute.

Yes, not all the fights would be easy, people as the Hound are wary fighters and won't give too much openings, but i think Syrio is one of the better killers of the bunch.

I've made my choice.

Imrahil and xoid like this.