1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What are the odds of GW re-releasing the Tomb Kings?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, May 7, 2017.

?

Do you think that GW will ever re-release the Tomb Kings?

1. Yes - within a year or so

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Yes - within a couple of years time

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Yes - but not for a very long time

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. No

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I posted this poll over at the EEFL forum and I thought I'd see what you fellow lizards thought about it as well:

I'm looking at picking up a Tomb Kings army. Of course with GW discontinuing the line, the models have become quite scarce (and more importantly quite expensive on the secondary market). It is possible to get some of the models for a decent price, however, any of the new sculpts (Sphinx, Tomb Guard, Necropolis Knights, Sepulchral stalkers) are unrealistically expensive. By unrealistic, I simply mean more than I am willing to pay for them.

So my questions is (and this is guess work at best), what do you think are the odds that GW re-releases the Tomb Kings and within what time frame?The re-release could be of the entire line or the most recent sculpts (with or without new additions) or through the "made to order" service. Which models are the most likely to be released, if any? What format of release would you expect?

For the sake of this discussion, by re-release I am only referring to the release of models, irrespective of any new content/rules/battletome in AoS. I only have interest in the models and don't really care what takes place in AoS.

Cheers & thanks!

For anyone interested, the original poll on EEFL can be found here

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

It is likely they will see some revival, but not the capacity they had before, probably more likely that they will have some new amped up models and units. Maybe they will do them in a made to order type thing, but I don’t think we will see most of the old units.

Seraphage and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'd be happy if they did a made to order on:
    • Sphinx
    • Tomb Guard
    • Necropolis Knights / Sepulchral Stalkers

Those are the ones that are super expensive on the secondary market. Does GW have any sort of information on what is around the horizon in terms of "made to order"?

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:sorry:
    What ^ the Bowser ^ said.

I don't believe they'll ever re-release anything (even as a made to order) that is not utterly unique to them.

Their sphinx was pretty unique. Character models maybe. Go through War Gods of Aegypt and Reaper's Nefsokar collections to see what GW won't be bothering with.

And the name Tomb Kings is done. They'll think of something new, wyrde, and trademarkable.

Seraphage, Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So I guess no Tomb Guard? But perhaps the Necropolis Knights / Sepulchral Stalkers alongside the Sphinxes.
    Took a look through them. To be honest they are both vastly different style-wise. And unfortunately, I personally don't feel as though they stack up against GW's offerings (though opinions may vary)
    Myself, I couldn't care less what they choose to call them. They can curse them with whatever AoS style name that spews forth from their brain. I just want to get my hands on a couple boxes worth of models.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

I think everyone else has made some really good points- also looking at the actual website, the tomb kings might come under the Deathrattle army word (basic skeletons and wight kings pretty much) and perhaps the spooky spirit side under Nighthaunt, and to a lesser degree the Deathlords (looks at the Morghasts and vaguely remember their old fluff being linked to the Tomb Kings -unless they create an entirely new faction that would describe the pseudo-ancient Egyptian aesthetic with mummies like they did with the K.Overlords). It really depends on how the Death alliance shapes up and if GW would be willing to change the aesthetic into something akin to the Tomb Kings (I'm still holding out hope that Settra makes a return! Especially considering how awesome he was in End Times! Heck, imagine the internal strife, civil war and potential for storylines in the realm of Death, should Settra somehow be revived!) As for the line being made to order, I could see that happening... possibly (depending on their moulds, and people making demands about it on their social media accounts - considering that GW seem to be listening a bit more to customer feedback nowadays, they might listen if enough people asked the same question about doing the TK line as made to order...)

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

I have heard this from unofficial sources, so none of this is by no means legitimate, but here me out.

What I have heard is that Tomb Kings and Vampire Cunts are going to become one faction, but NOT like in 3th edition. The next big undead releases will have models, that incorporate themes and ascetics from both of those factions. Nagash's model will be the lynchpin, which these new undead will draw their designs from. So I would expect skeletons in ebony armor, and maybe some stone constructs of some kind.

Tomb Kings making a comeback? In the Flesheater courts battle-tome, there is a snippet that tells about a skeletal kingdom, who is in a dessert, who has a king that likes putting skulls on his chariot.
    That is how the Kharadron überlords started, with a little lore snippet.

Seraphage, Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Do you have a link to where people can ask these questions?

Bowser likes this.
  9. Soxii
    Saurus

Soxii Active Member

Typically it's on the official warhammer 40k /aos pages on Facebook- as an example, one of my buddies (collects Vampire counts, Tyranids and harlequins) asked them in regards to the army structure in 40k when 8th edition drops, as Harlequins (and Skitarii) don't have a HQ choice and he got a response from one of their social media guys on Facebook (I get the feeling that even they weren't certain how the rules would affect those armies, but they did say that all models currently available would have rules for 8th edition). Also, they do listen to people's questions regarding what advice they need for painting on the Warhammer TV page- they often mention the name of the person who asked that question at the beginning of the video (that and where would the community be without Duncan, '2 thin coats' and 'THIN YOUR PAINTS'). With made to order, they sometimes put up a question regarding a particular faction that has old models they could put on made to order, e.g. they asked what old chaos models deserved to be remade for a week, and almost everybody mentioned the juan diaz deamonette sculpts and a few other old school models, and we got them a few weeks later :) hope this helps! *starts praying that they give Tomb Kings a shot*

https://www.facebook.com/Warhammer-40000-1575682476085719/
    https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/
    https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Very helpful... thank you!!

Bowser likes this.
  11. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

One of the coming new mordheim boxset´s warbands is going to be tomb kings

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  12. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I doubt it :(

But they just looked so cool.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Really?!!? Where & when did you hear that?

That would be awesome!

Bowser likes this.
  14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Mordheim boxed sets? In plastic maybe?

:wideyed: I am intrigued, I would love to see Mordheim boxed sets happen.

n810, NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  15. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

GW will release models for AoS, and they will fall under the grand Death Allegiance. There will be subfactions as Flesh Eater Courts, and the next one, will probably be Deathrattle, just because they are introducing them also in Shadespire.
    Deathrattle is good, cause TK are mainly deathrattle, but as said TK won't be re-released... there will be just some new skeleton model (as the ones we are seeing in Shadespire).

SO, no releases of old, discontinued models, but new ones. However, with the new ones, i believe / hope there is also a chance for a "made to order".

And with this, I can only say: Settra Rules!

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is why I think GW would be insane not to do a made to order run of their key Tomb Kings units (latest plastic releases)...

upload_2017-5-14_13-30-32.png

There is definitely and interested market for it. Take the above listing for example. It started off at a very reasonable (cheap) £20 but the listing was eventually won by a bid that was between 3-4 times the original GW price for the item.

They would make a killing. But the opportunity might be fleeting. Eventually those interested, will either give up on the endeavor or obtain all the items they are looking for on the secondary market.

Bowser likes this.
  18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Have they done any plastic kit as a made/to/order item?

Bowser likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is a good question. I'm not sure to be honest.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Not all the warsphinxes touch those prices, but yeah, actually it's basically impossible to buy one on e-bay for less than 70 GPB.
    And you must also count the shipping costs and import charges, for shipping in different continents (which is not a small part of the total).

(and now, personal story)

I've started playing with lizzies, and then I stumbled upon a really cheap 2nd hand dwarfs' army, that slowed down my plan to pick TK seriously.
    Finally I broke my hesitation, and I've started buying some TK, planning to build an army during a 12 months period.

After less than 3 weeks after my first purchase, GW discontinued TK... :confused:

So, I had to decide between two alternatives: to stop buying a "dead end" army, cutting the losses, or to frantically buy in one month, what was planned to be buyed in one year.
    I picked the latter.
    After the "massive" initial investment (which was still at a reasonable price, with a warsphinx at 20 GPB), i started searching for "missing pieces", which were not cheap at all, but they were specific things.