1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polynesian/Tiki inspired lizardmen ideas?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Eau_de_Neil, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Hi all - new here!

I've just picked up both Start Collecting boxes to begin a lizardman army. I'm planning on playing KoW Salamanders, but might play casual AoS with a friend who is ok with square bases too!

I'm inspired by the lore of the minor faction Itz Itza Tribe in Total War Warhammer 2 - a tribe cut off from the rest and with a slightly different culture. I love the tropical pink colour scheme and look, and intend to use that in some way.

With this in mind, and being fascinated by polynesian culture, I want to give my army a bit of a tiki/polynesian/south pacific/tribal flavour. A lot of the aesthetic is similar to the meso-american (teeth, feathers, idols, stone rather than metal etc.) so I'm hoping it won't be too hard to nudge it in the direction I'm after. I'm a fairly confident painter (40k), with the basics, but mostly looking for your ideas and inspiration... I'm thinking sandy bases, torches, tattoos - that sort of thing.

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

Pretty interesting idea and good starting point. What colorscheme are you thinking about?

I'll keep posted on any progress ;)

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden likes this.
  3. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

So, the plan is to use contrast paints to create a simple scheme I can get onto the table to play, with potential to add more detail as and when I have the time/inclination. I play Eldar in 40k and needed an army that doesn’t need so many crisp, smooth layers, edge highlights etc!

In terms of colour scheme, I want to create a dark, mysterious and creepy vibe - dark blues and greens with bright pink. I envision my army as the sort that loves a good sacrifice on the beach…

I think I’m going to go for pink skinks and darker blue/green saurus/dinos with pink details to hopefully tie the army together.

I’d like to add in torches and flames (OSL is hard without an airbrush though!) and similar kind of tiki touches - palm trees, ruins, masks, that sort of thing. It’s not really a million miles away from the traditional lizardman look. I’m also conscious of keeping it intentionally kitschy and not trying to make it too historically accurate to any one culture.

For a basing scheme I’m thinking of black volcanic stone, with beach sand, or something like that.

Just ideas at the moment

4. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

It sounds cool. Good call to get them painted up first and then add detail if you are up for it.
    The black rock and sand might work very well with the pink colors. For the darker blue/green the black might be to dark... just my first thought.

Like to see it if you have some tester models(not trying to push you, just curious ;) )

Grrr, Imrahil

Warden likes this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Looking forwards to some pictures! Sounds epic!

Warden likes this.
  6. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

When I think "Polynesian" I see more pastel or bright colors; bright greens, aqua/teal, pink/coral/orange, with pops of yellow or red. But, I get that you're going for a darker vibe. You could even consider a "witch doctor/voodoo" paint scheme I saw a few years back. I'm not sure if it exactly matches your theme, but it does give a mysterious/dark vibe.
    [​IMG]

I think you should totally use the "skull mask crest" from the Saurus Knight kit; either on a Saurus or as a decoration.
    [​IMG]

Dark tattoos or "tribal designs" seem very iconic. They might be a bit tedious to paint, but could be cool around some arms or on the shields. You might even be able to paint a tribal design on the bigger Saurus Knight standard. I think it could be a really good scheme on a Slann model.

For the other touches, I think you're right that the models might have less gold and more bone, shell, wood or feathers (which many models already have); so white/bone, brown and black accents. I could see wood textures on the standards and even the weapons, with bone teeth or spikes. Maybe even spear/javelin heads are bone or stone.

If you're good at crafting/sculpting, maybe you could add grass, or leaf, skirts and grass wristbands and anklets?

7. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Thanks! I guess I'm thinking of the tiki thing like the images below, but you're getting exactly the vibe I'm after - I hadn't considered witch doctor/voodoo for inspiration, but that's a great idea. Any idea where/who that voodoo skink army is from?

I'm not much of a sculptor, but I want to have fun with this army. In 40k I collect Eldar - I love them, but they're so serious!

upload_2022-1-27_22-44-16.png
    upload_2022-1-27_22-44-30.png
    upload_2022-1-27_22-44-48.png

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

These are awesome!

Warden and Just A Skink like this.
  9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I couldn't remember where I saw it, but @Warden found the painter of the voodoo skinks a while ago. Here is the forum page with the link.

https://www.lustria-online.com/threads/voodoo-skinks-by-james.21909/

Warden and Imrahil like this.
  10. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Still trying out different schemes so these will probably all get re-done. Not got a specific feel to them yet, just vanilla lizardmen but…

PINK SKINKS!

So far finding them really fun to paint. Very quick to get them to an acceptable level and then you can just play around - looking forward to adding details, bases etc.
    71219C75-5935-402D-A162-724A40BB3A45.jpeg

Attached Files:

Warden, Imrahil, Just A Skink and 2 others like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

nice ones.
    I should have something similar in my old skinks with bows...

12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

The colour works actually!

13. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

The voodoo pattern is really striking, I did my best to emulate it when I painted up a few of my gators.

Nice vibrant colors! I like how you have a variety in the shield colors, much like the different color lanterns in the rafters of the tiki bar.

In truth I am also a big fan of Tiki; were I ever to actually make a bar in my house I am going to make it Tiki- and Maya-themed (already got a few tiki mugs too and am learning to make drinks!)

Maybe add some Moai-statue as either unit fillers or stands for a hero character to stand on? The volcano aspect would be pretty neat too, as would the inclusion of some occult-zombie-ish symbols.

A fun diorama would possibly be a small caldron filled the remains of a few hapless warmbloods who stumbled upon the Lizardmen camp!

14. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Thanks. I noticed your tiki posts on here when I was searching for inspiration! Also learning the art of tiki cocktails and have a (small) home bar. It's half bar half bookcase - not as full on tiki as I'd like, but a compromise with my wife!

The mixed shield colours and skinks were actually just test schemes(!) I've decided to go with a single colour - the dark blue/purple. I'm trying to keep the scheme dark, with only really the pink and the occasional feather to give it a pop.

All your suggestions are great. Definitely on the look out for some scale appropriate moai.

Really appreciate all the positive comments on this thread so far - thanks for the warm welcome!

Warden and Lizards of Renown like this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Good to know!

I also would like to learn more about making tiki drinks, and have a few recipes I have been experimenting with recently (hurricanes, mai tais, grasshoppers, versions of the zombie, and a few others) as well as being gifted with a few tiki mugs over Christmas from my wife. Would love to have a full bar someday!

16. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Hi @Eau_de_Neil. I happened upon this image and I thought it might be good inspiration for your pink/purple skinks.

[​IMG]

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Really nice details

Just A Skink likes this.
  18. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Agreed, those are a nice find!

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. Eau_de_Neil
    Skink

Eau_de_Neil Member

Thanks - that’s really kind. Definitely stuff I can take from that

Just A Skink, Warden and Imrahil like this.