1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Q&A to GW

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by strewart, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

So fellow Lustria Onliners, I am suggesting we compile a bunch of questions and actually send them to GW for a possible FAQ. We could even give our suggested interpretation of the rules. In all the previous FAQs GW has thanked peopel/groups tyhat provided questions and answers, lets see if we can make ourselves famous. There is no harm even if nothing happens.

So in this thread, lets compile all the ambiguous things, I will edit them into the first post here and once it looks complete and people are happy, someone (I will volunteer unless someone else really wants to) can email them to GW on behalf of Lustria Online. Feel free to add suggestions to any answers I put as well, it is just my interpretation so far, I want it to reflect the community.

Questions and answers, I will only put a few to start since I am a bit out of it.

Stegadons:

Q: Can skink chiefs on Stegadons use their BS to fire the bolt thrower or a blowpipe?

A: Does he count as part of the crew? He displaces a crew member so surely can do what hey can do. But then the majority of crew have standard skink BS.

Q: Following on from the above, if the chief can fire the weapon, can he combine venom of the firefly frog with it?

A: Venom is for personaly equipment, is the steg really personal equipment or not?

Q: Is burning alignment flaming? Along the same lines, is it magical?

A: All logic says it is magical since it is in the magic phase and is like an un-dispellable spell, but the flaming, it doesn't specifically say flaming but sounds like it.

Q: Can the stegadon's blowpipes stand and shoot? Or for that matter the giant bow?

A: Neither are warmachines, the giant bow fires 'like one' but is not specifically one.

Q: How does poison from the giant bow work on penetrating ranks?

A: If you roll a 6 to hit, normally what you hit is automatically wounded. In this case, have you hit the entire rank so they all die? Or does the poison only work on the first model then roll to wound for the rest? If so, is the second ranked model hit by the full strength or s-1?

Q: Do Stegadons (Engines) overrun if they take out a charged unit in the Magic Phase by Burning Alignment?

A: The Rulebook doesn't specifically say you have to kill it in the combat phase to be able to overrun, and there are very few things that you are in combat with and can kill before combat actually starts.

Other units:

Q: Can Slann channel other spells besides magic missiles through a priest?

A: The tactics article on the GW website says yes, many people say yes, but the exact wording at the moment just says magic missile.

Q: Can the slann still see as a large target when casting even if not in a unit of Temple Guard, or does the palanquin only 'work' when he is with them for some reason?

A: The rules is mentioned under the bodyguard rule, suggesting it is while he is in a unit only, however, it would seem strange that the palanquin cannot rise anywhere else.

Q: Can salamanders march and shoot?

A: They are not breath weapons as such since they work a bit differently, but they also aren't explicitely missile weapons. They fire in the shooting phase, so maybe should be missile and not march and shoot?

Q: Can terradons charge a unit, and in the same turn drop rocks on someone they flew over?

A: All the rules say is in the remaining moves phase they can drop rocks on whatever they passed over that phase, does that include during charges or not?

Q: Can terredons drop rocks into combat? ie. if they fly over an enemy unit in combat, and if so then does it just hit the enemy or is it randomized?

A: Since it happens in the movement phase, it is not a shooting attack, but it is certainly be ranged. Should it be treated as shooting in all respects then including distributing hits?

Q: If a terradon unit drops rocks on an enemy unit after flying over them, and the unit panics, which way do they flee?

A: There are several choices here. One is directly away from where the terradons are currently, which would allow you to 'direct' where they flee, and another is from the direction the terradons came from (the direction of the attack) which would potentially make the unit flee straight into the terradons and act as the crossfire unit for their own attack.

Magic items and spells:

Q: Can multiples of the same beneficial spell be cast on the same unit? I'm thinking steed of shadows, which can come from both a Slann and bound item for a potential move of 48". By the same token, even bear's anger has no restrictions.

A: Undead movement spells state they can only affect a unit once in a turn, but there is no such clause for the 8 lores.

Q: Can a skink priest on a Stegadon that is in combat with non large targets cast the thunderbolt or lightning spell to a different unit in it's line of sight?

A: it can oversee anything, and the lighting is not a magic missile so technically can be cast from combat, LoS restrictions stop all other casters from doing it.

Q: Can the piranha blade and bane head be combined? If so, does it do 4 or 3 wounds?

A: A very old WD FAQ in 6th ed said multiples like this cannot stack, though the case could be made for them both doubling the original wound at the same time for a total of 3 wounds, or that you could double the double and get 4.

Q: Do impact hits as a result of the stegadon warspear count as magical? If so are all of them magical or just half of them?

A: The weapon seems to enhanse the mundane impact hits so shouldn't be magical, on the other hand the source of the extra attacks is a magic weapon.

Thanks to strewart, Revered_Guardian, WheelR, blackhawk, lupercal, msinosic and wilfogn from Lustria Online for contributions.

2. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

why not if piranha blade and bane head are combined, does it do 4 or 3 wounds?

and following up on that...

Does maiming shield get to use always strike first when combined with sword of the hornet?

A: Sword of the hornet says it grants the bearer the always strikes first rule, meaning all attacks should strike first.

Can the stegadon's blowpipes stand and shoot?

A: it's not a warmachine so it should be able to

If the giant bow get's poison, does the enemy unit lose one person for everyone of there ranks

A:seeing and it hit's and there is no armor save and it automatically gets through toughness

3. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

They've got a massive one running over at the pyramid vault, not to suggest any defection, but they've got a massive one all organized like. Might be easier to add to theirs.

4. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

Pyramid vault? waaaaaat?

5. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

lol, I know it's blasphemy... but I mean they have a danged table of contents on the thing.

6. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Or we could just send both and hope for the best, lol.

7. WheelR
    Chameleon Skink

WheelR New Member

Don't forget the question: Do Stegadons(Engines) Overrun if they take out a charged unit in the Magic Phase by Burning Alignment.

Since the Rulebook doesnt specificly say you have to kill it in the combat fase but it has a "check" at the end of a combat phase if the unit was destroyed.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

Q: Can Slann channel any spells through priests, or just magic missiles?

A: The article online suggested any could be used, but the army book says magic missile only.

Eh, I am sure there are several groups with the same idea. The more questions GW gets, the sooner they will get out the FAQ hopefully. We will do this one as well. I will probably compile and arrange them a bit better tomorrow.

9. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

Q: can a skink priest on a Stegadon that is in combat with non large targets cast the thunderbolt or lightning spell to a different unit in it's line of sight?

A: it can oversee anything, and the lighting is not a magic missile. but in different magic desreptions it is quite vagua about casting into and from a combat.

10. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

This question should also be asking if the Piranha Blade and the Bane Head can be used together. Two magical items with same enhancements/effects are not allowed to be taken together as per an old white dwarf article, 222 was it?

11. strewart
    OldBlood

First post updated including the magic question about multiple steed of shadows, questions grouped with other similar questions, and credit given to contributors so far. Keep them coming. :)

12. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

Why is the Chaos Black colour' plastic not white to be able to see the paint :D

13. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Ohh my some of those questions bring back some wonderful memories of old forum thread debates with other members of this forum! ;)

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Aye they sure do. :p It will be good to get some of them properly clarified by GW.

Have we missed anything?

15. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

Q: can the slann still see as a large target when casting even if not in a unit (it is a little blurry to me)

16. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Are these supposed to be just rule related or can they be general?

17. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

I made a non rule based one :D

18. strewart
    OldBlood

First post updated to include the Slann question and a couple more on terradons.

@Eagleblaze, they are rules questions on the new LM army book, GW releases FAQ's for their books a few months (or sometimes longer) after their release to try to cover any points that are a bit unclear or have several interpretations, also occasionally to correct mistakes.

@Suppe, I don't even know what you mean by your chaos black question and it doesn't seem like it is related... :shifty:

19. Corbechev
    Saurus

Corbechev New Member

It was a joke as to why the chaos black paint container wasn't white so that you can see the paint in it

20. Suppe
    Kroxigor

Suppe New Member

haha I was just wondering... I do that a lot but if you look in the pot of chaos black colour it's hard to see how much there's left :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.