1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Rebasing to maximum efficiency

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by The Red Devil, Jul 4, 2015.

1. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Since with Age of Sigmar everyone of your models you are able to cram within 3" of the enemy is allowed to attack, and there does not seem to be a specific base requirement for a model.

This brings up a funny dilemma, i.e. should you rebase to Skink bases for maximum attack efficiency.

While I posted this mostly as a joke, it is something that the rules does not cover, and could in reality actually be a game changer, i.e. if you win or lose a game.

2. bhuddiver
    Skink

bhuddiver Member

Well it says the bases are just there to help the model stand up, so maybe even get away from full circle, square, or whatever, and just make or buy the smallest base you can find that lets you model stand. Or maybe even put sticky stuff on the feet (bases don't seem to be even required)

3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

4. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

I'd keep the bases the same size. An x mm diameter round base should fit inside the appropriate x mm square base, y'know? If you're feeling particularly giving, then use the square diameter as the round diameter... even though it effectively increases your base size.

As far as gameplay goes, it sounds like bases aren't so relevant anymore. Looks like everything's pulled from the model, unless I misread something.

5. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

That is why the bases are really important, since when you are in close combat, only models that you manage to get within 3" of the enemy models is allowed to attack. If your bases are smaller, it will allow you to move more of your models within attach range.

Note. Just to make it clear, I have no intentions of rebasing my old models. But it does bring up a interesting question/choice for future models.

6. shahryar
    Kroxigor

shahryar Member

When i was doing more aquatic themed bases I gutted my bases and temporarily glued the left over top sections to my chamo skinks to make painting easier...the tiny tops are enough to give them the support they need to stand....do that.

7. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

As the bases don't matter anymore so you should be then allowed to move the models so that the bases are on top of each other. Nothing prevents this, right? (other than the fact that they might not be able to stand, or the opponent doesn't want you touching the beautiful scenic bases)

BR
    Agrem

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    These little humdinger's are apparently from the original Gorka-Morka set? They are much smaller than 20x20 squares. They would work for Skinks and I believe they would pack tightly. That said,

"...where in 8th edition does it say that figures cannot stand on each other's bases"?

"...where in 9/AOS does it say figures cannot stand on each other's bases"?

Extreme pile-in packing could be achieved in that fashion...sounds cheesy...but there it is. I could make up some drawings with optimized shapes for pile-in packing that could be sent to some laser cutter operation to make bespoke shaped bases for this purpose. I am thinking wedge shapes++ like the blocks in an arch would be optimal.

But maybe it would be best to promote a house rule option a) specifying minimum base sizes for a given model and b) insisting that no model's bases ever overlap.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

++ Little wedge bases being packed around a 32mm base:
    PileInBasis.png

10. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

Can't you just take your models and pour them over the opponents model? Does it say the model needs a base? Does the base have to be in contact with the gaming mat?

Can't you just magnetise several models on top of each other and measure diagonally or down from some of them? Could easily quadruple

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Attack!!!
    [​IMG]