1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Returning Slain Models

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Tilorn91, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Tilorn91
    Saurus

Tilorn91 Active Member

Hello everyone! There has been a situation in a game at a table next to mine last weekend that had some heated arguments going on, and I'd like to know who was right in case I play against one of them in the coming league games.

So, the match was SBGL vs DoK, and the Gravelords player rolled to return his skeletons on a 4+ for all of the slain ones in that combat phase upon activating them. He got maybe 5-7 successes and made a line with the newly returned models towards a hero snake of the DoK player dragging her into combat. Now, my understanding is that this is not by the rules because of 14.2.1 in the Core Rules.

"Set up the models, one at a time, within 1" of a model from their unit that was not returned to the unit earlier in the phase. Slain models can only be set up within 3" of an enemy unit if a model in the unit they are returning to that was not returned to the unit in the same phase is already within 3" of that enemy unit."

Now, not only was that not legal from the 1st half of that rule, returning models have to be within 1" of the remaining ones so no conga lines. Also, the 2nd half also clearly states you cannot drag other units into combat with this?

And a side note unrelated to the table issue, if there is a unit of 30 skeletons, and only 1 survives the activation of an enemy. He then activates the 1 skeleton, and rolls 29 dice 4+ to return them. He rolls 15 successes, it doesn't really matter right? Since there is one skeleton, and you can put maybe 7-8 around the one remaining within 1" since the bases are smaller than 1". Am I correct in that thinking?

2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, the first issue was wrong on so many levels... you cannot do what the undead player did.

Yep, you're right.

3. Tilorn91
    Saurus

Tilorn91 Active Member

Thanks for the info!

4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Your analysis was spot on. I only confirmed it. ;)