1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Salamander 1500 points for Tournament

Discussion in 'Salamanders Army Lists' started by Itepixcauh, May 5, 2016.

1. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

Well, we have an upcoming tournament in June, and also the league games from now on will be 1500 points.

I really like how my list is turning out, the play-style suits me really well so I updated it a bit:

SALAMANDERS 15000

Heroes
    - 2 Ghekkotah Skylords (One with Mace of Crushing)
    - 1 Mage-Priest (Inspiring Talisman, Surge)

Monsters
    - 1 Ankylodon Battle Platform
    - 1 Greater Fire Elemental

Troops
    - 1 Horde of Tyrants (Brew of Sharpness)
    - 1 Horde of Fire Elementals (Blessing of the Gods)
    - 2 Regiments of Ghekkotah Warriors

That makes 9 drops which is OK. Main Changes are the use of another Skylord, the reason is that I really lack mobility in the army, and also when I use just one he kind of is here not there in terms of hitting power, using two as a hunting team really works for me.

Another big change is spending 70 points in magic items, The thing is my two hordes of Large infantry hit really hard with CS2 but hitting of 4s is too much of a gamble, so I equipped my Tyrants with the +1 to hit item (18 attacks, hitting on +3 and CS2 with Brutal and Fury sound like a good deal to me) and the Fire Elementals have the Elite item, hopefully re-rolling the 1s will help getting a better use of their CS2.

The last change is splitting the Ghekkotah Horde in two regiments, I'm not sure about this but I want to try it. They are there to die in the end and having two extra units to flank charge or use as chaff sounds good to me. I might change one of them for a troop of Hunters instead, do you think it's a good idea? Would love to give them the Chameleon cloaks but I just can't find the points.

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I like your list a lot but as I am a new KOW player I took the opportunity to tweak it and came up with this, hopefully this will start a nice discussion about the pros and cons ;)

Heros

-1 Ghekkotah Skylord (Mace of crushing)
    -1 Mage Priest (Surge, Inspiring talisman)

Monsters

-1 Greater Fire Elemental
    -1 Anklodon Battle Platform

Troops

-1 Regiment Ghekkotah Warriors
    -1 Regiment Ghekkotah Warriors
    -1 Troop Ghekkotah Hunters (Chamelon cloak, Bows, Piercing Arrow)
    - 1 Horde of Fire Elementals (Blessing of the Gods)
    - 1 Horde of Fire Elementals (Brew of Sharpness)

Idea is you have 3 fast units with the Elementals, your hunters have 24in range and will be hard to hit use them for picking off the enemy might be too small a number just being a troop but would still annoy the enemy.

3. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Nice idea actually,

the discussion will be what is more useful, a troop of hunters pumped up or a basic Skylord. Shooting wise, the Skylord will manage between 3 and 4 hits and the hunters between 2-3, but with double the range, also with the piercing arrow they have a better chance of hitting so i would say they have the same, more or less, chance to wound.

What the Skylord gives you is better combat power and more mobility. That being said, the Hunters are good too in that department, and with stealthy and some cover they will be very hard to deal with.

So in the end the choice is to have one good combat hero or one sneaky shooting unit. I would day is a matter on playstyle really, but that opens the door to some playtesting I would say.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Good points, I like the idea of the hunters but such small numbers could easily be routed if charged by a hard hitting unit, play testing needed ;)

5. classicflava
    Cold One

classicflava Active Member

i have found the hunters to be too expensive for what they do every time i have played with them

Itepixcauh likes this.
  6. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

That is always my feel with them too, but who knows. I will be testing them just for the sakes