1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Saurus culture.

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by reptile3607, May 13, 2014.

1. reptile3607
    Skink

reptile3607 New Member

OK, so I've been thinking about saurus culture, (and maybe even writing story for this forum) and I didn't want my lizzies to be mindless warriors ; nor do I want it to be a traditional joints type thing. However, nothing really exciting happens in the temple city.
    So, perhaps my story could be based around an annual tournament. In this tournament, there would be 3 categories- maybe lightweight, heavyweight, and scar-veteran/oldblood. The tournament is, of course, one of fighting- with randomly selected pairs fighting each other in the arena, gladiator style. The winner gets eternal glory, and goes up in rank.
    Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of this idea, and whether it has merit.
    Oh, and I'd like to point out that this is only the skeleton of my plan...

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. Kblock
    Kroxigor

Kblock Active Member

That sounds interesting. I could see a tournament among the saurus. When a spawn leader is killed in battle, perhaps this is a way that the new spawn leader is found? Or maybe it is a way for Skink Priests and Chieftains to have some bragging rights. The saurus from my city are better than yours. Since the skinks are more active and more intelligent, perhaps there would be some kind of competition between the different skinks as well. Who is more accurate with a blowpipe, who is inspirng the best and fastest restoration or building of a temple city, who has the fastest or best terradons and riders?

There could be the possibility to follow a few different Lizardmen characters with stories like this. Perhaps even a story about a group of Lizardmen on a quest to an ancient ruined city or temple in the jungle to retrieve an artifact or to find stegadon, bastilodon, or terradon eggs.

Now you have my brain wondering about the Lizardmen culture.

3. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

I think it's more likely to be a ritualistic style combat.
    Combatants dressed as Chotec, Sotec, and Itza going toe to toe against each other. Winner receives no personally recognition, but rather his chosen god (and it's city state) would receive more favorable worship.
    Combats could even be ritualized sacrifices.
    The combatants dressed up as icons of their respective gods go into battle against captured skaven, and how many, and how effectively they are killed could determine a "victor".

-Matt

4. reptile3607
    Skink

reptile3607 New Member

And the really hardcore ones go up against carnosaurs :D

Actually, was thinking maybe magical battles between priests would be cool too.

5. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I am interested between the rivalry that may exist between followers of the Old Ones and those of the upstart god, Sotec (he is, after all, only 2500 years old)

To a static culture like that of the Lizardmen, the new ways could still be vigorously debated or the subject of dispute which could be resolved in traditional (violent) fashion.

Remember what happened the last time the Slann allowed variations to worship.
    "The Fall of Turochitan" by some Scalenex dude or other

Whatever you decide for justification, just start writing! The Old Ones demand more LM fiction!

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I like the idea of ritual games. You should write a fluff piece about it or at least including it because 1) we can use more fluff pieces and 2) Scalenex may eventually steal it if you don't.

I had some REMOTELY similar. Skink Chiefs had a swimming race to see who would lead a patrol. It was a physical contest though not a fight.

7. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Ha! Fool, the Lesser Temple-City of Cuaqtla on The island of Kaixilixapati does! You can't match us! Our Terradon Riders ride Ripperdactyls! Ha! TAKE THAT MAZDAMUNDI!!!! Hahahahahaha! :D :D :D

Don't let that happen! Scalenex would have the victor die from an infection in a minor wound sustained in the fighting after giving you at least ten pages to grow attached to said character! :depressed:

8. Link_t_c
    Skink

Link_t_c Member

I have got to back you up there dude, I love scalenex's pieces but they always rip my heart out at the end

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Well I'm backlogged with WIP (most but not all involve protagonists suffering) stories at the moment and real life issues. It will be a while before You probably have at least a year before I decide to kill someone at the Lustrian Olympics.

10. Link_t_c
    Skink

Link_t_c Member

Sound great, how will we grow to love this one?
    Great personality, underdog, is a skink?

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Two of them are underdog Skinks. One is a Human with a good heart and an engaging sense of humor trying to recover his life after a broken heart.

12. Link_t_c
    Skink

Link_t_c Member

Great, you broke me.