1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion Should we call saurus, skinks and krox she?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by BEEGfrog, Dec 5, 2011.

1. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

I was thinking that the most likely explanation for saurus reproduction is that most of the lizardmen breeds are parthenogenic females that deposit eggs in the spawning pools where they lay dormant until conditions arise that bring forth a spawning.

Different conditions in the spawning pools could cause different genes to express themselves to produce the variations between generations and spawnings. There might be only a very small number of different clone lines if there was sufficient capability to vary spawning conditions to program the required expressed gene traits.

If this is correct then almost all lizardmen troops are female clone warriors and should be called she!

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm I think this thread is more suited to fluff, so I'll move it there.

I'm not sure if it ever mentions eggs in any of the books. I've never really considered LM to come from eggs, I see it as more of a magical thing. But if anything, I invision the spawning pools would be closer to filled with tadpoles (yes I know they come from eggs as well) which grow into whatever is most required at the time.

Can LM really be classified as male or female at all though?

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

They are all genetically engineered clones from the spawning pools.

Ps. Lizardmen don't actually have genders.

emptyscale likes this.
  4. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Thanks. You just made me spend 15 minutes reading the wikipedia article "Gender-neutral pronouns". Good times.

5. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I agree that they probably hatch from eggs in the spawning pools, but I don't see why they'd end up male or female as a result. I imagine there to be a rather select group who can actually lay those eggs and the Slann would have to control that, at least indirectly. I think that the bulk would be more akin to drones, sterile and therefore androgynous.

On a related note, I have been lobbying for some time that the proper plural of Saurus are "Sauri", the proper plural of Kroxigor are "Kroxigi" (or "Kroxigal", if BEEGfrog is correct, lol!), whereas more than one Skink are correctly called Skinks.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I say the plural of kroxigor is just kroxigor. I would almost say the same for saurus, it sounds right. "Look at all the saurus".

On the other hand, saurii does sound cool. :p

7. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

Tadpoles would mean that all Lizardmen were amphibian though wouldn't it? I think that just applies to the Slaan which is kind of in a boat by it's self as far as creation goes. Also as we learned from Jurassic Park they may be born females but they can change sex. :)

(again though they changed sex due to amphibian DNA in that movie)

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234429 :smug:

9. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

On this topic I would like to mention something. What happens when half of a spawned unit dies due to a fight? For example Saurus units work so well together because they are all spawned at the same time. So then when half of a spawning is lost due to a battle what do they do with the rest?

This is how I'm explaining my army of completely different colors on nearly every unit. They are the left overs from lost battles. (I'm still learning to paint so that's why the different color schemes)

However it does raise a good question. Say half a TG unit is lost defending a Slaan. What is done with the rest?

10. Anna
    Skink

Anna New Member

From what I understand from the book, units just get smaller all the time, and for example scar veterans are awesome fighters that outlived the rest of their unit. It's still not entirely logical though, it would make sense to combine units into one to keep them of a usable size.

The spawning is an interesting mystery as well. It would be easy to say it's 'just magic', something only the Old Ones could understand and that somehow makes lizardmen jump out of the spawning pools at programmed times. Magic can do anything, after all... But even then it would still be interested to know what goes on inside those pools :p

I've been tempted to use 'Sauri' as the plural of 'Saurus' all the time. Wouldn't know about Kroxigor though, somehow 'Kroxigors' just sounds the most logic. Probably something for another topic, but is there some kind of connection between Kroxigors and all those Beastmen ending in -gor?

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Good Question....

Not sure, probaly fill in with another spawing from the same pool most of the times.

I think a Lizardmen army themed after a bunch of straglers and survivors, might be prety awesome.

12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Quote form the "High Saurian" thread....

13. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

The plural of Kroxigor IS probably Kroxigors, when you consider that the name itself is an amalgamation of the words Crocodile and Ogre. I thought this was rather obvious when the Lizardmen were re-introduced in the late 90's, just before 5th edition came out. "Croc-Ogre" - say it really fast... The plural of Ogre is Ogres. I think the most acceptable shorthand slag for them is simply "Krox"

Saurus is an actual latin word and common suffix in scientific nomenclature (i.e., Tyrannosaurus, Brontosaurus, etc.). The plural of words ending in "-us" is "-i", hence we speak of more than one Platypus as being Platypi. See also: "rhinoceri" and "octopi". Nevertheless, that said, more than one "tyrannosaurus" are "tyrannosaurs" - see this helpful note: http://dml.cmnh.org/1999Jul/msg00347.html

...but can you imagine Karl Mordskullblood shouting to his companions "hold steady lads, and by Sigmar's axe we shall slay those dirty Saurs!" Hmmm....

According to the usage in GW's books, they are "Saurus Warriors", but that's a mouthful! So IMO, the shorthand wins, which is "Sauri"

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

More quotes....
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/high-saurian.8006/

15. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

The Burning Shore, a Black Library novel, describes the adventures of Floring & Lorenzo, 2 Bretonnians who have an adventure in Lustria before returning to their homeland. A short story that follow the novel describes a collection of skink eggs that are brought back to the Bretonnian port town, hatch, and cause all sorts of trouble.

I don't know if this can be taken as canon (and it struck me as wrong when I read the story), but it is some evidence that Lizardmen come ultimately from eggs.

Actually, its been a few years since I read that story. It is possible that the skinks were already hatched/spawned when they were brought aboard the ship, but I'm pretty sure that eggs were mentioned. I'll check tonight if I can find the book.

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Sadly the black library authors don't read up on GW fluff before wrighting thir books,
    and are generaly considered non-cannnon.

Check out the short story of Marco Columbo from the 5th edition Lizardmen book.

17. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

That's what I figured. It a shame, because the second novel in that series is set in the Ogre Kingdoms and gives a lot of really interesting background into that race. Its too bad that all that back story may not be "true".