1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. sixth spell lore of beasts on the slaan

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Tlax, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Tlax
    Saurus

Tlax New Member

so the big spell of beasts turns you into a dragon (clever gw dragon selling) but before i go out and buy a dragon it says models on foot only can use the spell, is the slaan counted as being on foot?
    the slaan has no seperate profile for the palaquin so is not techniqually riding anything
    so basically can the slaan use the spell to me he would but what do people think just double checking dont want to spend £35 on a dragon and i cant use it.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Slann is generally considered as mounted for things like that.

3. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Yeah, alas no Slann dragons or chimeras.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Although It might be posible to turn Teneuan into a dragon ;)

5. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

As awesome as this spell sounds, I do not think it will work out that well in practice. You have to last until the next turn before you can get the charge off. So you are giving your opponent 2 chances to dispel it before you see combat, 3 if its not cast with irresistible force.

And if you do manage to get it into combat on a charge, then your opponent dispels it in the magic phase, well you have your mage sitting in combat about to die.

This spell might be good for a low level mage to try and get off, but I do not see it being worth it at all for a high level mage like the Slann.

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

The wounds also transfer back onto the wizard. So you suddenly become this huge dragon and take two wounds because everyone is shooting at you. Well if the spell is dispelled, you turn back into a wizard with 2 wounds, and you die. Not bad for kamikazee style attacks.

7. wolfmage
    Temple Guard

wolfmage New Member

The slann does count as infantry so can use his sixth spell in the lore of beasts, also he keeps his special rules. Who does'nt want a magic resistant and immune to everything but magic dragon. Don't know what it means for temple guard though.

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Only if the Slann is considered "on foot", which while he is classed as infantry he usually is floating on a palanquin.. actually I wish they would clarify whether the Slann is considered on foot or not, because if he is on foot he could also take the flying carpet.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The way I see it, you read the Slann's rules. NOTHING at all in there even slightly suggests that his mounted. It is purely an aesthetic thing when you look at the model, but remember you can make the model however you want. The only mention of the palanquin floating is in the section where he is in a TG unit and can float above their heads.
    The rulebook has clearly classified him as infantry, and infantry exclusively refers to troops on foot. There is no such thing as mounted infantry, that would be cavalry. So by the rules, he is technically on foot.

GW really should clarify it though just to confirm one way or the other, I'm not entirely convinced he was designed to be 'on foot'', but its not really overpowered to count him as such. 50 points is a lot to make him fly.

10. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Well, off the top of my head you can put a dwarf lord on shieldbearers, and he's still infantry. An oldblood is an infantry model that can be put on a carnosaur. He is still an infantry model while riding a carnosaur, he just isn't on foot. Put him on a cold one however, and it becomes a single cav model.

Yeah, doesn't seem to be a mention of him not counting as "on foot". But I think it is just a gap in the rules, because similar restrictions used to exist except they would be "US1 models on foot only". Steed of Shadows for example had this restricition.

But until they clarify things, I guess people are free to go nuts!