1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Skinks and Saurus Weaponry

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by TheKuznetsov, Jul 1, 2019.

1. TheKuznetsov
    Skink

TheKuznetsov New Member

Hello, I am having a great difficulty with deciding weaponry for my Skinks and Sauruses. To give you an exemple with Saurus I tend to go with Celestial clubs instead of Celestial Spears for the fact that I want them to be more on the charge and fighting end.

But the Skinks are a totally different story, I dont know if I should give them Boltspitters or meteoric javelins and etc. I have never even tried a game with Skinks before (I know I should've thought about our little heroes in the first place.) But nonetheless im interested in hearing your suggestion over which weaponry would benefit me the most.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Saurus are better with Clubs if the units is 20 or less. They are better with Spears if the units if 30 or more.

Boltspitters are generally the better option for skinks as they have double the range and can be fired after using LoSaT. Javs are awesome in shadowstrike starhost where you get to move the unit 2d6 inches before the start of the game. Normally 20-25% of the skinks I build have Javs. Always take the Starbucklers. The clubs aren't worth using.

3. TheKuznetsov
    Skink

TheKuznetsov New Member

I see, I do plan on using my skinks on Batallions such as "Thunderquake and Shadowstrike"

Would I need to change some of the weapon?

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The Bastiladons will come with skinks specially designed for those kits with javs. You don't need to build any skinks for the Steggadons, EotGs, or Bastiladons.

I do like to have one unit of 20 Jav Skinks for Shadowstrike, but if you have to choose between how to kit Skinks than taking Boltspitter & Starbuckler is always a safe choice. I wouldn't worry about getting any jav skinks until you have 40 boltspitters.

TheKuznetsov likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The bastiladon and Stegadon kits generally have a 1-2 skinks too many. Stick those on a base and you can slowly gather up some javalin skinks. Getting enough spare shields can be a pain though.

6. Klap
    Skink

Klap Member

I like running skinks with blowpipe and club. I think the shield is a bit pointless. If something is hitting you a 6+ save so you are pro gonna die anyway. Where as 10 skinks with 2 attacks each if you ever do need to hit something I think is better.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Clubs are fairly pointless. Skinks will barely scratch the paint on their opponents armour in melee & regardless you'l most likely be using wary fighter to retreat anyway. So it'l rarely even matter that now they can do 2 scratches instead of 1...

Shields add roughly 2 effective wounds at minimum size against -1 rend (which is surprisingly common). And yeah, your skinks aren't going to survive for long. But hanging on 1 turn longer and continuing to block an opponent's path is very valuable.

8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Fundamentally, the question comes down to what job are your Skinks going to be doing. My view of Skink's primary role is that they are screens and objectives holders/invaders. As a result I almost always use Wary Fighter when they are in combat. The time clubs would be useful to me is if the enemy has already swung and some Skinks survived their attack. Thus, for how I field them I am more likely to encounter the Starbuckler benefit than I am to encounter the club benefit. I would rather save a few more Skinks from shooting than deal a point or two of damage.

TheKuznetsov likes this.
  9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

or you just totally read the warscroll wrong and build them with javs and clubs... then they are melee monsters..... compared to legally equipped skinks lol

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

surprisingly common :p

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

But in rare cases, when you don't, it can be a saver. I once made 3 6+ saves out of 5 against Witch Aelves, which allowed me to stay on objective for 1 more turn.

ChapterAquila92 and LizardWizard like this.