1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Slann and Magic Lores

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Herakles93, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Herakles93
    Skink

Herakles93 Member

I've got some upcoming games in the not too distant future, and I'm planning on fielding a tooled up Slann (for obvious reasons), but I'm unsure on which Magic Lore to go with at the moment.

Lizardmen's main weakness seems to be poor Initiative, and the main choices people use are High Magic, Life and Light.

But if people could let me know which ones they prefer and why it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks chaps.

Crowsfoot and Ritual like this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

yep those are the top 3 most popular for Lizardmen,
    also there is the one where you get the eight default spells, one from each basic lore.

Crowsfoot, Ritual and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

My favourite choice for the Slann is Loremaster - High Magic. High Magic is already an extremely versatile lore by itself, but when combined with the lore attribute, it is really a game changer in my opinion.

In terms of High Magic usage, I found this video very informative...

4. Herakles93
    Skink

Herakles93 Member

That's a really good video! I imagine Arcane Unforging will be a killer against and High Elf horde with BOTWD.....

Who on earth decided a 2+ ward was a good idea....

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's also great against Tzeentch Chaos Lords with their 3+ rr1's ward saves. As a WoC player I fear that spell. Additionally it is a strong choice against certain special characters who really rely on key magic items (plus you know exactly what they are carrying beforehand).

6. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

We have a wide variety of Slann tacticas!

But my favorite is lore based army building tips

I think the video Nightbringer brought up is excellent and well thought but I believe the narrator like using Contemplations too much. The trap is you think how great Spell X would be in the long term, but a game is only six turns long. You might lose a magic phase due to poor rolls. You also run the risk that you will be incentive-ized to cast your worst High Magic spells because you want to get rid of this. Don't don't this unless you are spoiled for power dice.

The video seems to suggest dumping more than half of your High Magic spells. I recommend figure out what lore would be handy for the enemy army you are fighting. You need to either really want the signature, or at least be in a situation where you don't mind the signature spell. I wouldn't recommend ditching more than three magic High spells per game, and if you don't get your swaps.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Crowsfoot, n810 and Ritual like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The Elf gods

8. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Part of what's great about Fiery Convocation and Tempest is that they're handy early on in the game (so you're not trying to cast your worst spells), but run out of targets eventually. I guess this is true to some extent for Arcane Unforging, as well. I guess if you're against a real swarm army, maybe Fiery Convocation always has good targets. But when I played 8th, I liked throwing those two out early at their best targets. Once I had done some real damage, I called it a win and dropped them for something else. @Scalenex is right on about signature spells - make sure you'd be happy with the Sig when you pick path to switch to.

Light and Life are really nice, particularly the way the Light compensates for our weakness while Life builds on our strengths. Pretty neat. But I almost always went with High Magic, because it's such a great combination of effective, versatile, and fun. Lighting up a huge enemy unit with continuous flame is pretty gratifying (I even learned to sculpt and paint flames so that I could make a marker for Fiery Convocation), and the whole swapping thing introduces some really fun, interesting strategic dynamics.

Scalenex and NIGHTBRINGER like this.