1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiction Spawning of Bob - 2nd Book of Great War Trilogy - Scourge of the Empire

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Jan 11, 2016.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I wrote a long essay about what motivates me to build a plot (as distinct from what motivates my characters or what motivates me to write). The whole essay is on the back burner because I felt it was too self indulgent and because the best examples were frequently of things I hadn't published yet, but the summary is as follows:

These plot motivators (joke / sensible idea - set up - payoff) help me set way points in the greater narrative - and my characters and I together chase them down one by one. In the process we sort of oscillate around the mean of the actual story and hopefully provide some interesting sub plots and characterisation.

In the False Moon War, each Chapter / section was an individual set up and gag. Now the things twine around themselves so much that you never know when they will pop up again. Tip - assume everything is important as you read it. Understanding a future joke or indeed a significant plot point may rely on it.

2. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

Didn't want to necro this in fear of annoying someone, but this is just too good!

MOAR!!

Paul1748 likes this.