1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Spears.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Scarecrow, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Scarecrow
    Saurus

Scarecrow New Member

I hope I am not mistaken, but as I remember saurus get to attack with full attacks from the second rank with spears. I can't find it in the rule book. It's been a long while since I've played so I could be mixing editions but I'm pretty sure that was a 7th edition perk. Right or wrong?

2. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Right, spears basically means you get to fight in two ranks, if you have two attacks with your guys in the second rank then all the better ;)

3. Scarecrow
    Saurus

Scarecrow New Member

Wheres the rule for this? I'm in a discussion on warseer where they are telling me that suaurs can't and I would like to get the rule that says otherwise, but can't seem to find it.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Those are rumors of changes in 8th edition...

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That rule is on page 55 of the big fantasy rule book. On the left side column it states:"spears and similar weapons are well suited to fighting in deep formations. Weapons used for fighting in ranks enable troops in a second or subsequent rank to fight in close combat as well as warriors in the first rank who are actually touching the enemy."

In the next paragraph it states that 'spears fight in two ranks.'

6. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

and since saurus warriors no longer have the predatory fighter rule that they did in 6th edition (which made it so they could only have one attack from the second rank) we now get to use both of our attacks from the second rank.

7. Scarecrow
    Saurus

Scarecrow New Member

ok, that's what i was looking for and why I couldn't find it. I had remembered them either rewriting that rule to make it so saurus could fight with full attacks from 2 ranks or if it was another special rule. Thanks.

8. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

8th edition, we're back to a single attack in the second rank and beyond.

Spears are listed as providing an extra rank of 'supporting attacks'.
    Supporting attacks specifically state you only get a single attack on combat to the front.

So a standard spear unit will be able to attack in 3 ranks now, but have the same number of attacks as what was provided in 7th edition in two ranks.

Also if there is any combat on the flanks, you would lose the supporting attacks on the edge of the unit as well.