1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog starting my seraphon army. all tips and critisism please as first time painting anything really

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Mikey foley, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

hey i just started painting my first seraphon set. i never knew how relaxing and how in depth painting can be its deffo my new favorite hobby. iv started this blog just so i can get as many tips as possible and maybe you guys might be interested in the progress i make over this whole set. im sure there will be more to come once iv painted these. but heres a few pics of what iv done so far. cheers. 20230105_173022.jpg 20230105_173022.jpg 20230105_172703.jpg 20230105_172655.jpg 20230105_172646.jpg 20230105_201423.jpg 20230105_203814.jpg 20230105_204909.jpg 20230105_204925.jpg

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Great start of an army! I really love the deep red color on the Carnosaur.

Grrr, !mrahil

Sudsinabucket and Mikey foley like this.
  3. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

skink-a-saurus Active Member

Looks great! excited to see how this army unfolds!

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Looking good so far!

5. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

Looking good! Welcome to the hobby :)

6. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

so i had a little painting session this evening and got started on my knight on cold one and think hes coming along nicely tomorrow will be a short time painting shields for both knight and warrior. got some basing supplies coming soon so can get what iv done totally finished which will be nice to see the end result. but chuffed so far. :D 20230106_223848.jpg 20230106_223858.jpg 20230106_223919.jpg

7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Your technique is clean. I like how you did the gold, could you explain that please?

I would advise you to be less heavy on paint with areas that are likely to run and have a small surface area. Example: carnosaur front claw has an excess of contrast/wash that has pooled.

Mikey foley likes this.
  8. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

hey thanks alot, alot of time are going into these lol. and the gold is just retributor armour with an agrax wash just to make it look more azteky and old.
    yeah i went a bit heavy with the wash on the carnosaur i was trying to go for a well used old claw look but it did pool a bit too much in some areas i guess its all part of the learning curve. i greatly appreciate any small tips like this as it helps speed up that learning. cheers.

Tyranitar likes this.
  9. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

any tips on how to do eyes would be a great help as left them untill i have a bit more confidence in how to do them.

10. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Varnish your model before doing eyes. That way if you overbrush, you'll have save point. Then take smallest brush with finest tip you have and just barely touch model with it. Basically brush air couple of times and get a smidge closer to eye every time you brush until you touch model. If you overbrush, just take another brush, dip it in water and clean whole eye while paint is still wet If model is varnished, you will not affect previous layers.

Mikey foley likes this.
  11. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

thats a good idea i might have to buy a tiny brush just for the eyes lol dont think i have one that small.

JTSleep likes this.
  12. JTSleep
    Stegadon

JTSleep Well-Known Member

It doesn't really have to be small, but it helps at start, where you are training how to do it. Important part is that pointy tip.

13. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

so i finally got a bit of time to myself so ofcourse i got the paints out and finally finished my oldblood on carnosaur happy with how he turned out but not sure if i should flock the base or keep it swamp/bog themed what do you guys think would flock bring it to life? or does it look ok as is. hers a few pics of how there getting on. any tips or critism would be helpful. cheers. 20230125_214730.jpg 20230125_214753.jpg 20230125_214855.jpg 20230125_214938.jpg 20230125_215220.jpg

Warden, Explodingzeb, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  14. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

What kind of flock did you have in mind? I think they look good as is. I'd recommend washing the moss with some agrax, concentrated toward the base, to tie it into the base a bit more.

For eyes, there's a lot of back and forth you can do until you're happy with it, I basically never nail it first try. I'd generally recommend a wash on the eye area as well to blend everything together. But I'll paint it white, yellow, w/e the eye color will be, then paint the pupil, the usually get more of the base color back out to clean up the pupil

Mikey foley likes this.
  15. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

Yeah the moss was bugging me a bit as its so bright compare to the rest but agrax is a great idea thanks! And yeah iv been putting off the eyes until I get a smaller brush and a bit more brush control lol but they will get done soon. I'm going to have a good crack at getting some more saurus warriors done over the weekend I'll probably do the eyes then or at least try lol. But many thanks for the advice is much appreciated.

Tyranitar likes this.
  16. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Those look like a good start. Your shields/scales need just a touch more highlighting.

Id get a cheap synthetic brush, probably a flat, from Walmart or local equivalent. I'd also get a lighter shade of red than what's on the shields/carno scales, and dry brush using the flat.

17. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

I have a mephiston red do you think that would do for dry brushing? Would you do all over the scales or only certain places, and what direction would you go? Many thanks for the reply

18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I would mix two parts Memphis into one part White. I would then put that on the El cheapo flat brush, daub enough off to be an effective dry brush.

If you are facing the shield I would go in a diagonal motion from top right down to bottom left

19. Mikey foley
    Skink

Mikey foley Member

Awesome thanks for the help

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice looking Kroq Gar!

Mikey foley likes this.