1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Starting Seraphon For Cheap

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Treetrick, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Treetrick
    Skink

Treetrick New Member

In the words of another member of this community "Howdy Yalls?". I wanted to make this thread for those who wanted to start the army on a budget based. For those starting out check out this video here, which will show you how to build the cheapest Seraphon army at ~$239. However that number is based on buying new boxes straight from Games Workshop, rather than second hand markets. Some people may grumble that our models are old, but the advantage of that is that the models are probably cheaper because a lot of people want to sell them (especially Oldhammer players).

I'm going to be basing the comparisons from sites like ebay.com and TrollTrader.com. Some prices will fluctuate especially for sites like Ebay, it really depends on your patience. Some Ebay sellers will sell new boxes for $10-20 lower than GW, but smaller sellers will go much lower if you don't mind small defects, repainting, stripping paint, or purchasing circular bases to convert from square bases (Oldhammer). Non-meta models (warriors) will be substantially cheaper than meta models (all of our monsters in 3.0).

The big question, is can these beat GW prices, and can they beat the Start Collecting bundles?

Battleline:
    Saurus Warriors: GW sells a box of 20 warriors for $45 for which comes out to $2.5/model. 2nd hand markets can sell 10-12 warriors for ~$15 for a $1.5-1.6/model average. This is probably the most cost effective model for filling out battle line. Anything under $2/model is a better buy.
    Saurus Guards: GW sells a box of 15 guards for $55 --> $3.67/model. 2nd hand markets can sell batches of 10 guards for $33 --> $3.3/model, or 5 guards for ~$20 --> $4/model. The biggest improvement that 2nd hand markets provide is the smaller total cost for guards since few army lists employ the whole 15 guards. More likely you'll be running 5 or maybe 10 guards to protect your Slann/Kroak. Under $20 for 5 is a better buy.
    Saurus Knights: GW sells 8 knights for $35 --> $4.35/model. One unit of these is 5 models so you will see a lot of variability in the number of models sold in 2nd hand markets and as all saurus, you will likely need to convert the base, adding to the total cost. That being said, anything under $3.1/model is probably a good buy.
    Skinks: GW sells a box of 24 for $38 --> $1.58/model. 2nd hand markets can sell 24 models (or batches of 12) for $1.1-1.3/model. The batches of 12 are convenient if you don't want to buy two boxes of skinks just to get a block of 30. If you end up with 36 you can convert 5 of them to chameleon skinks to save you even more money. Skinks will be cheaper if you don't have a preference between boltspitters or javelins.
    Stegadon: GW sells a Stegadon for $60/model. 2nd hand markets offer a smaller discount of ~$50/model. If you can get a model for under $50 it's probably a better buy. The best deal however would be finding a Thunderquake Starhost box with 2 Stegadons/Engine of the Gods and a Bastiladon. It is out of print, but some game stores still have them. The price of $130 means each model is ~$45 which is the best price I have found.

Slann/Skink Heroes:
    Kroak: GW sells for ~$115/model. You might get $5-10 dollars off in 2nd hand markets. I have seen the rare kroak for ~$80, but this is Seraphon's newest model.
    Slann: GW sells the Slann for $55/model. 2nd hand markets have a lot of overprice slann but there are more slann than say Starseer. You can occasionally find them for ~$40, maybe closer to $30 if you're willing to overlook defects.
    Skink Starseer- GW sells the Starseer for $50/model. 2nd hand markets are not much cheaper, but occasionally you can find one for under $40, but this model is relatively new in the Seraphon line so there are fewer options out there.
    Skink Starpriest: GW sells for ~$29/model. 2nd hand markets can sell for about $20/model. Anything under is probably a great buy.
    Skink Priest: GW sells for $18-20/model. I have not seen many on 2nd hand markets. If you find one at all you're sure to save.

Mounted heroes:
    Carnosaur/troglodon: GW sells for $85/model. I have seen these regularly at ~$60 for fresh kits on 2nd hand markets. Used/assembled carnosaur models can be as low as $45 if you don't have a preference between oldblood/scar vet and the weapon they are using. What you get may not be "optimal" for the current meta since there is a large degree of loadout for this single model. The troglodon follows a similar price pattern for assembled ones.
    Engine of the Gods/Skink Chief: See Stegadon.

Unmounted Saurus Heroes:
    Astrolith Bearer: GW sells for $22. I have not seen many of these for cheaper than $20 on 2nd hand markets. A lot of people kitbash them from the Start Collecting Saurus (thread can be found here on lustria).
    Everything Else: Any of the other foot heroes; eternity warden, oldblood/scarvet on foot, mounted cold one are seen in few lists. The ones I have seen on 2nd hand markets are roughly the price of their GW counterparts.

Behemoths:
    Bastiladon: GW prices them at $60. These are pretty popular so anything between $40-50 will sell quickly on 2nd hand markets. While the space laser is the "standard" loadout, you may find bastiladons with the Ark of Sotek for $30-40 ranges.

Other:
    Kroxigor
    : GW sells a pack of 3 for $55 -->$18/model. I have seen some kroxigor price for $15/model but typically sold in singles &/or from outdated metal sculpts. This model has pricing from Mars even on 2nd hand markets
    Razordon/Salamander pack: Same as the Kroxigor - $35/hunting pack and 2nd hand markets gobble them up quickly so the discount compared to GW is not as large compared to other models in the army.
    Flying Units: The Ripperdactyl/Terradons come at $60 for a box of 3--> $20/unit. The hero units are not sold individually, but are converted from a box of three, inflating the costs of all lists that want to incorporate them. These sell fast on the 2nd hand market and have a higher chance of defects (broken stands and the fact that bolas snap off easily), but I have seen assembled groups of 3 for $35-40 --> $13-15/model.
    Chameleon Skinks: GW sells a pack of 5 for $25 --> $5/model. 2nd hand markets gobble these up so I have not seen much better deals.

-Here is Caleb's Video on how to start your Seraphon army for cheap. This way you should be able to bring down the cost of your army especially if you are newer to the hobby. If you can find alternative pricing or venues please comment below.

King's Pawn and Little Camper like this.