1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds 2022 Paint & Kitbash Blog

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

Another Year, Another Blog. It's crazy to think this will be my third blog since joining this community and nearly 3 years since I started the hobby! This year, I really want to put my feet forward and push myself more, and a big part of that is Finishing Models. It's no secret that my favorite part of the hobby is kitbashing and building, but I honestly just want to see them actually finished and painted fully, so it's time to work on that focus and perseverance. I also want to work on more tutorials, or at least explain better my methods and thoughts behind what I'm doing.

Most importantly, I just want to enjoy my hobby and share with all of you who I have grown with over the last 3 years. Ya'll are awesome, and I can't wait to see what we all get into over the next 12 months.

Hobby Goals of 2022:

1. So, my biggest Hobby Goal this year is to actually finish every model I start, with a big emphasis on it being before I start a new one.

2. Finish 1 or 2 armies between Seraphon, Lumineth (with Hathorians), and Kruelboyz. For Seraphon and Lumineth, 2k points of what I already own... because...2021. For Kruelboyz, a small raiding/hunting party of 750-1k points.

3. Write more. Also in line with #1, actually finishing what I write or at least less time in between publishing something. I have many stories i've shared but haven't added to in a long time, I want to change that.

4. Reading more. This isn't 100% hobby related, but I have two Lumineth novels specifically I want to read, but in general I just need and want to read more, so its on this list. This will also help with inspiration with my own writings.

5. Always keep striving to improve and listen to advice

6. Open Ended

I hope everyone has a fantastic year, and I hope we can all draw from some positive points in the last one.

Bowser, Noxolotl, Aginor and 5 others like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The first focus of this blog will be that of the Kruelboyz, specifically my homebrew clan in Ghur which is a large thorn in my Seraphon's side there - more on that later.

The first model of 2022 Im going to work on is Swampboss Skumdrekk/Snatchboss on Sludgebraker Beast. I've had this model since October but never got to it for Orctober...so I thought this would be a good time to bring it out and do a fresh start to the year. I absolutely love this model, and I loved adding my own flare to it. First pictures are just of it with out any changes, some bits not on yet for ease of painting:
    20220102_141021.jpg 20220102_100626.jpg

Now, as I mentioned my Kruelboyz are a thorn in my Seraphon's side. Led by Skalglum Priestsnatcha and his mount Rakkadakk the Snoutless, they run raids all around the swamps which my Seraphon had laid claim to as it runs along a powerful ley line. Skalglum has come to favor raids on Seraphon settlements, not only is the plunder usually better, but he also enjoys out cunninin the smart Skinks of the Temples and out combatin' the warrior scale boyz. Rakkadakk's trophy racks are lined with Seraphon trinkets and plaques of skinks slain and heads of the Seraphon's mightiest warriors which Skalglum has taken as his own. Proof to Mork that he is more cunnin' than his foes, the stolen trinkets and plaques also empower the Swampboss as a drugged priest enacts the ancient magics within; or kills them and finds one that will.

The one last thing I may add is a Carnosaur head roped down to the back part of the rack, but we'll see. Let me know what you think!

Extra bits used:

Skink Priest
    Stegadon trinket bits
    Oldblood heads
    Oldblood/Scar Vet throne plaque
    Skink Priest Staff Tips

20220102_180148.jpg 20220102_180046.jpg 20220102_180015.jpg 20220102_175241.jpg 20220102_175212.jpg 20220102_175310.jpg 20220102_175413.jpg 20220102_175346.jpg

Bowser, Noxolotl, EFHILT 167 and 3 others like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

This is so awesome :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

What a great start of the new year!!
    I love the Seraphon tweaks you have done especially the skink in the cage is amazing!!

Keep it going

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser, Noxolotl and Sudsinabucket like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

As always, great work Suds.

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you :) I really wanted to start the faction off right and it is fun tying (tieing?) in the Kruleboyz into some Seraphon lore for my homebrew. The priest in the cage is an important part to that! Skalglum drugs captured priests to power his stolen trinkets and other Seraphon things... in a nutshell.

Lots of fun working on so far

Bowser, Noxolotl and Imrahil like this.
  6. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks man, really appreciate it. Fun start to the year for sure!

Bowser likes this.
  7. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Admins please ban, getting triggered by this anti Lizardmen content.

Looks great can't wait to see it painted!

8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hahaha! My next post might be even mooooore triggerings... especially for you Carnosaur lovers....

Thank you!

Bowser, Noxolotl, kroxh and 2 others like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! Hope you're doing well

Been working hard in Skalglum and Rakkadak, lots done but still more to go! This model has a ton if little details on it, most of them being metal so most recently Ive been working on that by hitting em with a layer if Leadbelcher before I can go back and begin the next layers of steel *lightly* added to the Leadbelcher. I've also been enjoying the large amount of leather, with Seraphon & Lumineth I don't get to do a lot of leather so its been nice to work on that a bit as well, though I am only done with the base work (mostly, noticed a section I missed) and some highlights on Skalglum's leather armor - still needed washes. Most of the wood work is done, minus Rakkadak's collar which still needs a wash over it.

One big thing I am doing differently for my Orruks (at least the Kruleboyz) is giving their skin tone a pale grey-blue look instead of the traditional greenskin look. I just don't really like green skin lol. And being from Bogz/Swamps I just think a more brackin swamp skin tone just feels more appropriate to me.

I also added two additional trophies to Skalglum, this time adding them to his armor. Two new shoulder guards using bits from the Saurus Start Collecting box! Really trying to hit home this Swamp kinda witch doctor look for my Kruleboyz.

I still want to improve upon Rakkadak's own skin/scale tone, but I feel atm it is at a good enough spot for me to leave be til later.

This model, although a lot to it, has really and is really a joy to paint - especially with the added theme/flair of Seraphon trophies.

Any C&C is welcome, just remember it's still WIP :) 20220110_123923.jpg 20220110_123942.jpg 20220110_124007.jpg 20220110_124027.jpg 20220110_124041.jpg 20220110_124121.jpg 20220110_124141.jpg 20220110_124200.jpg
    20220110_123313.jpg

JTSleep, Bowser, EFHILT 167 and 8 others like this.
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

Great work done.
    There is a lot of different stuff on his back, tricky to paint it all

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah, definitely tricky lol been working on the Carnosaur head and Saurus Oldblood heads... and now im gonna have to begin worrying about the chain wrapped around the Carnosaur head lol. It'll be worth it in the end though :) I am really enjoying the Kruleboyz so far, debating what to get next with the little but if Christmas money I got.

Thank you :)

12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey everyone! Hope all is well and that you all have gotten time to do some hobbying!

Been about a month since I posted, and although I have done some I haven't done as much as I'd like due to IRL stuff.

I have some updates on Skalglum & Rakkadak that I will share in the next day or so, along with some skinks I've been working on (possible Tutorial also!). However, I really wanted to share something else Ive been working on for my Seraphon list, a model I've had sitting for awhile: Terradons.

Now, in true form these are not your traditional Terradons, I have gone ahead and converted them and also for homebrew purposes renamed them:

Known as Itzlopteryx (meaning "Itzl's Wing), these flying reptiles are as intelligent as Terradons and ferocity to match the Ripperdactyl. Four legged, they are also fairly quick and agile on the ground using their powerful and long tail to balance themselves while running.

(Undecided if they're a form of Drake? Thoughts?)

I have been waiting to build these Terradons for awhile but wanted a different look. Theze first three ill start greenstuff work on soon, however I need to hunt down 3 more Horned Ones/Armored Cold One heads for the next 3. If I cant find 3 more heads I can always make a mold, but I'd rather not if I can help it - I'm not sure how molds go in In-Store gaming/tournaments.

I essentially just used the Terradon & Ripperdactyl kits to make this, just changing buts around. Hope you like! IMG_20220130_153345_346.jpg

13. Imrahil
    Slann

Nice conversion idea. I hadn't noticed the four legs before(on IG) interesting!
    Makes me think of Thoothless from "How to train your Dragon".

the heads look very cool on them

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I can definitely see Toothless! I was also semi thinking of the fliers from Avatar, the smaller ones. Yeah, I really like the 4 legged look compared to the 2 personally lol

Debating on colors, but hopefully going to actually do some greenstuff work tonight on them

15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Also, on a side note... an old favorite will be making a come back for this blog/narrative and finally be finished ;)

Bowser, Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  16. Imrahil
    Slann

The high and mighty Griffon? :rolleyes:

Grrr, Imrahil

Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  17. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Oooooooooh..... SUSPENSE!

Bowser and Sudsinabucket like this.
  18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ha, not on this blog (or not yet anyway), but I have been working on her! Primarily the Hippogryph but been thinking of how to do the archer also. The base is also slowly coming along, big model lol

Bowser and Imrahil like this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Haha, indeeed!

Bowser likes this.
  20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Ok, so, maybe one of my old favorites lol and self admittedly not one of my most successful creations.....

But the Ayotekutliadon is making a return! And with its own custom engine of Chotec ;):)

"Ayotekutiladon which loosely translates to Turtle Lord. A venomous omnivore prefering meat, it has a long tongue lined with tiny barbs and spikes it uses to drag prey into its maw with little chance of eacape. Slightly larger than an aged Stegadon this large forest & swamp dwelling Turtle-Dragon has a shell thats nearly impenetrable."

An older model, I had originally envisioned it with a Ark of Sotek but never continued on with it, honestly because I wasn't totally happy with the creature (tail mainly). But, as Ive looked at it over and over the past year or so, have really grown to appreciate it for what it is: a great model with some first attempts that just didn't go perfectly. So here we are hoping to finish this great model and give it the finish it deserves.

Original picture with grey ark + skinks: Screenshot_20220202-111236_Instagram.jpg

Updated: 20220201_233513.jpg 20220202_004505.jpg

After removing a lot of dust with a makeup brush and deciding what I wanted to do I just delved into building mode. Taking inspiration from the Gungans in Star Wars, I decided to finally build my Solar Shield Generator! As many if you know (but may have forgotten) I have wanted to make a shield generator for some time now, just wasn't ever sure as how to do it. However, i found a way :) taking the backs if two stegadon thrones that im not using, i put two solar crystals into the little hole where the skink tail would go, and then able to rest the third crystal up top. This way Sun Feeds into the two side crystals and then the top crystal shoots upwards the shield generator which then covered up to X miles (or inches for game rules) preventing ranged attacks to hit those in the shield.

So that's where we are with this Oldie but a Goodie :) maybe not the model anyone was expecting, but I'm pretty happy with it. Also fits the Swamp Theme very well!

Any ideas on how to make a clear-ish dome to act as a "force field shield" type of thing? I thought about Hot Glue, but wasn't sure of what to use to form the dome.

EFHILT 167, JTSleep, Bowser and 6 others like this.