1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The Best Monstrous Infantry unit in all of Warhammer

Discussion in 'Other Armies Discussion' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Hello one and all!

Inspired by @NIGHTBRINGER’s ‘Best melee unit in all of Warhammer’ contest, I’ve been mulling over an idea I first thought of recently. Most of the units involved in @NIGHTBRINGER’s tourney are Infantry or Monstrous Cavalry, but I also think Monstrous Infantry can be a force to be reckoned with in combat even though they were underrepresented, so I’ve devised a contest where I pitch every Monstrous Infantry unit against each other in bloody Warhammer combat to decide who is on top in this Troop Type.

Da Fightaz
    As mentioned before, I’m entering every Monstrous Infantry unit into my contest, so the brawlers slugging it out will be:
    Albion/non-aligned
    Fenbeasts

Beastmen
    Minotaurs

Creatures of Chaos
    Fimir Warriors
    Skin Wolves

Chaos Dwarfs
    K’daai Fireborn

Lizardmen
    Kroxigors

Ogre Kingdoms
    Ogre Bulls
    Ironguts
    Maneaters
    Yhetees

Orcs and Goblins
    River Trolls

Skaven
    Rat Ogres

Tamurkhan’s Horde
    Bile Trolls

Tomb Kings
    Ushabti

Vampire Counts
    Crypt Horrors
    Vargheists

Warriors of Chaos
    Chaos Ogres
    Chaos Trolls

Wood Elves
    Tree Kin

Of course, some of these units have additional options to play with, so I’m asking you, the Lustrian fans of Warhammer Fantasy, to choose which equipment loadouts of each of these units are the best, as in @NIGHTBRINGER’s contest. Specifically I would like those with a particular expertise in particular armies to recommend the best loadouts on those armies’ units, so I’m consulting @Lizards of Renown and @Charlemagne to give the best combos in each of the four Ogre units for example (remember this is purely the specific units on their own, so no characters allowed). As the only Greenskin player and the only one on this forum who has ever given Beastmen any consideration, I’ll be deciding the choices for the Minotaurs and Trolls.

Da Roolz
    The rules will be akin to those of @NIGHTBRINGER’s contest:
    So the last thing to do is to say PLACE YOUR BETS!

Da Scorez
    I'm including a scoreboard in this inaugural post to keep track of the fortunes and failures of the different units throughout the contest. The current scores on the doors are:
    upload_2022-6-30_10-12-16.png

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Marking my place here.

3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Good going on this @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl !

I am happy to see those two armies represented in a combat contest ;)

My lack of experience on loadouts makes me just a spectator to enjoy the fight :)

Grrr, Imrahil

4. Wyvernaarch
    Skink

Wyvernaarch Active Member

I'm not an expert in Ogre Kingdoms but I think Maneaters would benefit most from additional hand weapons, as well as Poisoned Attacks and Stubborn combination (from their Been There, Done That rule). Another popular loadout was to give them braces of pistols, Poisoned Attacks and Sniper, but it seems less useful in pure melee.
    Oh, and I'd like to place my bet on them.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

An intriguing experiment. I look forward to seeing this one unfold and what gems of insight it will grant us.

Approximately what sized units do you plan on running points-wise? (obviously giving or taking to balance the units)

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl is there a particular reason why the Ogre Kingdom Gorgers were left off the list or is it simply and error of omission?

How are break tests for Kroxigors to be handled? In my tourney we assumed that an average roll of 7 was rolled, but seeing as the Kroxigors are cold-blooded it might be worth while to assume that Kroxigors would roll a slightly lower number (like a "5").

Also, how are Predatory Fighter attacks from supporting ranks to be handled? Yay or nay?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I’m thinking around 300-320 points per unit will suffice - this sets them up to a good size of around 5 or 6 models (or even more in the case of cheaper units) and is usually the sort of size people take (sometimes they may take larger units but these can become expensive point-sinks).

I left Gorgers off the list because they can only be taken in units of 1 for inexplicable reasons. Would an Ogre player take up a significant portion of his Special slot by taking 5 or 6 individual Gorgers, and then send them all toward the same opponent? @Lizards of Renown as our resident Ogre Tyrant, perhaps you could be able to enlighten us?
    I certainly agree with this and was thinking about it last night. Kroxigors are certainly more likely to pass Leadership tests of 5 or 6 thanks to Cold Blooded, so I will set their roll as a 5.
    I don’t see why Predatory Fighter shouldn’t affect supporting attacks as well - I’ve always allowed supporting attacks to benefit from PF in my games - especially as this will make calculating the number of PF bonus attacks especially easy (divide the total number of attacks by 6 to get those that only get a hit roll of 6).

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

@NIGHTBRINGER @Lizards of Renown @Killer Angel as fully-fledged Tomb Kings players, what loadout do you think the Ushabti should have? Additional hand weapons would allow them to strike at their decent Initiative of 3, but Great Weapons would help boost their Strength.

Right, I’ll give them that combo if other Ogre Kingdoms players here agree (@Lizards of Renown I’m counting on you here!), thanks for your input. Are there any combos for other units you’d recommend?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I am a very fledgling OK player unfortunately.

I agree that the proposed Maneater layout looks pretty good, but with the additional point that any of them in the second rank should have GW (as they cannot use AHW to gain another attack).

The Ogres should have AHW in my opinion.

The Ironguts only have a GW loadout.

10. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I think the Ushabti should AHW as otherwise they will be striking last and I believe (based on our other ongoing competition) that this will be their undoing...

@NIGHTBRINGER @Killer Angel what do you guys reckon?

11. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I thought Monstrous Infantry could make all their attacks when supporting, including any bonus ones for additional hand weapons?

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  12. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I have always played that PF doesn't affect the second rank as the rules (to me) are clear that they can only ever have one attack.

But this is @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl 's rodeo so he can call the shot on it.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Indeed that is the case, but do you think they should take a Magic Standard, as they can do so?

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

In the BRB it says, "A monstrous infantry model can make as many supporting attacks as are on its profile, up to a maximum of three, rather than the usual one supporting attack."

15. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I don't think so, but I would defer to a more experienced OK general. I don't see an immediate standard that would be worth the extra points (as they are already S6).

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

They should only have one attack when initially making the attack roll, but PF attacks come after you've made the hit roll, when you've seen how many dice have come up as 6. I'm going to say PF attacks should be allowed for supporting ranks for this tourney.

Yes I seem to recall that now you've mentioned it. I'll have to keep that in mind when making my calculations.

17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

GW for me. ;)

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Even with ASL?....

@NIGHTBRINGER you will need to vote to break the stalemate.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've never fielded them with anything but GWs. S6 is too good to pass up. Plus, AHW only effects the front rank, while the GWs affect supporting ranks as well.

That's just me though.

Personally I'm in agreement with @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl :jawdrop: , I've always played it that PF could be generated from supporting ranks. To each their own though, I know it was a very hotly contested debate back in the day.

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Great Weapons it is for the Ushabti, thanks. Now, the final unit that has a loadout still to be decided is Chaos Ogres. @NIGHTBRINGER, as our resident WoC fan, I’d be interested to hear about your optimum build for this unit.