1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. The Chaff Battle

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Nakki, May 8, 2014.

1. Nakki
    Skink

Nakki Member

The last post on Cold one Buses got me thinking about how to balance chaff with heavy hitters. I always have been a fan of skink cloud armies as I think they are a lot of fun to play due to the immense amounts of tactics involved, especially in 8th with redirection.

At the same time I appreciate having some hitty units like a cold one bus. I really want to put together a list that brings in the best of both worlds. I want to dominate the chaff game while still bringing a super strong cold one bus.

So my question I guess is what do you guys think is the most cost effective way to chaff? obviously lots of skink skirmishers but do you think terradons could still have a place? If I need to sacrifice my terradons and salamanders for a cold one bus or some stegadons and cowboys do you think I will still be able to dominate the chaff battle? Because the ultimate fear of course with taking a cold one bus is how easy it is to chaff due to predatory fighter. Thoughts?

2. Andy06r
    Saurus

Andy06r Member

Baby stegs could easily fill the roll of "heavy chaff". Strong enough to be a hammer, agile and cheap enough to make its points back destroying eagles and redirectors.

Similar idea to the vampire count's varghulf for a nominal increase in point. Double varghulf is a popular curve ball for chaff oriented VC.

3. Putzfrau
    Skar-Veteran

Putzfrau Well-Known Member

terradons are one of the best chaff units in the game.

They are pretty nasty at destroying other armies chaff with drop rocks, and are easily disposable/fastcav/flying.

They are god-like.

4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

"ITs a BIRD!"
    "ITS A PLANE!"
    "ITS SUP.."
    "DUDE! Superman! get out out of here man! you are blocking my view at the terradons! XO"

They truly are awesome, and VERY cheap for ALL that they do.

5. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Calling it now: Waywatchers will fear the mighty Terradon. Many brave Terradons will die to bring their D3 S4 rocks to bare.

6. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Thinking of it, Terradons are build for WE hunting.
    Not even their forests keep them safe, as our winges fellas have forest strider!

7. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

I forsee truestrike arrows clearing the skies from the backfield. 3+ to hit, 4+ to wound, 6+ save. Every 7th glade guard kills a terradon. Since they have to bring 25% core, I'd expect terradons to die turn 1.

And while you aren't taking dangerous tests for the woods, you are dealing with all those other mysterious effects.

I'm calling Bastiladon as the Waywatcher killers. (2+ to hit, 6+ to wound, no save). It takes ~28 shots at short range at a Bastiladon in the open with the no armor saves arrows to kill it. With range or cover, the effectiveness of the waywatcher starts to drop.

Back on topic though, Bastiladons do make great chaff clearers. They cause terror, so they can panic off some of the problem units, and T5 2+ armor is extremely durable. 2xS4/3xS3/S10 +thunder stomp is enough for chaff killing, and getting hit in the flank doesn't really matter. At 150 points, it's quite a bit cheaper than a baby steg. And then... LASER!

-Matt

8. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!

And let's not forget: M8!

(Truthfully M4, but why not march every chance you get?!)

This thing is a real snapping turtle that should wreck elves.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Because M usually stands for Movement and not March :p to march 8 inch isn't that impressive, unless compared against the dwarfs :)

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I think it is, as his "shooting attack" works after marching.

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Which is a bound spell, so I disagree

12. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Sigh.........yes.

13. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

It's shooting attack is 3 S3 poison shots with quick to fire, and they don't work after marching. The bound spell does, but don't forget that it does actually get 3 poison shots as well.

-Matt

14. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Agh... the number of times I could have elected to stand and shoot!! >_<

15. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

just fill out this simple questionnaire when choosing your reactions.

1. Is it a skink, or a mounted skink?

2. Is it a Ripperdactyl or a skink hero?

3. Is 3 positive? if not, it can stand and shoot.