1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial The Old World Lizardmen Army PDF is out and free

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Discussion' started by discomute, Jan 22, 2024.

1. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

I think Elementalism is very nice yeah. There is only 1 stinker, the Flaming Sword, and you can swap that one out. Rust is also very nice and makes our skinks good even against 2+ saves. The Ramparts are definitely good as well as you use it as soon as you know you are going to charge or not which is very handy.

discomute likes this.
  2. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

When not running Wandering Deliberations on the Slann, High Magic all day, every day.

Drain/Fiery/Fury/Shield. Fiery Convocation = best Magic Missile in the game.

discomute likes this.
  3. SalMan4
    Skink

SalMan4 New Member

100% agree on that, looks like an early standout with the lore familiar.

discomute likes this.
  4. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

This sums up my opinion, although I'd add that I am committed to becalming and I feel that will be enough for me to dominate magic.

I mean they all look fairly even. Battle I think is good for the skinks. I actually wonder if it could be a sleeper for the slann too. Illusion seems to be hit and miss but on a board with a lot of terrain. Miasmic, column, shimmering are powerful.

My opinion on high is 3 spells are much better than the other 3. If you are going Lore familiar or wandering, yep. If not, I don't think you can.

PS. Also was thinking Storm Call might be useful to cast on own troops if they are under a powerful hex. Initiative can't get lower anyhow.. edit - Ah crap it says "enemy unit"

Edit - I just noticed that battle's signature spell is asailment not a magic missiles, that makes it go way down in my opinion. I am definitely running a trog and wondering what to do with the skink - probably still battle as illusion stuff is so hard to get off

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  5. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

Something to note, while it won't matter for level 3 and 4 wizards, it will for 1 and 2.

Drain magic is 24". Level 1 and 2 wizards have 18" dispel.

Our slann has fly(8)... so playing keep away is very possible

So part of the magic game is keeping you mage out of range of other mages.

This concept extends to vortex spells as well. They don't measure to the vortex. They measure to the mage.

discomute likes this.
  6. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

What about Necromancy with Lore Familiar?

Unquiet spirits, Spiritual Vortex, Curse of Years and Spirit Leech. One spell reduces M, WS and T. One is a magic missile with no armour saves (only S2, but we can reduce toughness and it can be good against cavalry). Vortex and Spirit Leech reduce Ld. They seem strong in an army with wide selection of Terror-causing monsters. Any thoughts on this lore?

7. discomute
    Troglodon

Wow!!

I admit I didn't think we could take it. I absolutely agree if you have two terror based monsters it's very strong

It's signature spell is garbage but you can just take monsoon.

Necro
    S - F but monsoon is an A or B depending on match up
    1. F - garbage
    2. B tier Amazing against the right list, like bretonia
    3. A tier. The 11+ stops it from being a S tier.
    4. B tier. Can help break a game but you can't cast in on someone in combat which detracts from how good it is
    5. C tier - giving a Slann ethereal is good but they don't get hit that much
    6. S tier.

Element
    S - C tier. Good enough spells but you probably don't want to be within 12 of an enemy not in combat that often.
    1 - F
    2 - B good enough with big range but can't cast into combat
    3 - A easy to cast for how strong it is. Shame the range isn't slightly more.
    4. - C good against heavy shooting but it doesn't last a long time and you can't charge so not sure how often it will actually be useful. Casting on rippers is a great idea but the short range might limit how useful it actually is
    5. - A good damage decent effect, medium range
    6 - B hard for me to rate, can't use it to charge but can definitely make things difficult, even a group of skinks threatening a rear charge could be deadly

High
    S - B tier. Better than most signatures but won't be effective that often
    1 - D tier only on Slann and a 10+
    2 - A tier great magic missile
    3 - C
    4 - F
    5 - S tier on your Saurus (especially with spears) likely to swing combat for you and can cast into combat
    6 - B - can't cast into combat so how useful will it be? Good against shooting heavy lists and for those about to charge

Illusion
    S - F and probably a C for skinks
    1 - B because of its casting cost
    2 - B
    3 - A 9 inch stops the S
    4 - C as it's a lot of dice to effect anything
    5 - F not for us
    6 - A the casting value stops it getting to S but it's close

Battle
    S - D for Slann but probably a B for skinks running around on monsters.
    1. - A what is the AP? Does this mean no AP or it a typo?
    2 - D not for us
    3 - D one of the few that hurts us as well
    4 - B
    5 - F
    6 - C

Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
  8. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Okay, now I'm wondering for dispell and arcane vassal

Does your opponent measure to the vassal or the slann? What about casting range "self" and "combat" spells on a vassal?

If it's to the slann, you can basically use arcane vassal to make sure no one can even ever attempt a wizardry dispell

9. discomute
    Troglodon

I am 99% sure it's the slann

Edit also if you're out of range, so are they

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  10. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Well the idea is if you use arcane vassal the vassal could be in range but not the caster

Also, you could be 30 inches apart, but still put a vortex between you.

Makes the slann more powerful with Fly(8)

Also makes me see a little more value in an Ethereal slann. Skip the TG bunker and possibly keep you slann skirting around the edge or backfield

11. WithCarbos
    Skink

WithCarbos New Member

IF Glittering Robe channelled by a Slann through an Arcane Vassal affects the unit that Vassal har joined, it becomes the best signature available ...

discomute likes this.
  12. discomute
    Troglodon

Yep indeed I might be overrating Necro because my first 2000 point army will include a carno and a trog, and two units of krox. I can't imagine wanting to buy skink priests to put in units. But you could definitely do that and it would make a lot of spells I have rubbished much better.

13. Acehilator
    Ripperdactil

Acehilator Well-Known Member

Just double checked the wording on Arcane Vassal, should work with Glittering Robe just fine. And all spells with range "Self" can be cast in combat, so no problems there either. Very nice.

14. Rimbo
    Skink

Rimbo New Member

Well, you can't cast through an Arcane Vassal if he is in combat, so the restrictions on "Self" spells are irrelevant in this case. One may also argue that range "Self" spells, even if cast through an Arcane Vassal, affect only the Slann model since the description of range "Self" spells reads that these spells affect the caster which is still Slann. I think RAI though, it should work. I hope it gets a clarification.

airjamy likes this.
  15. discomute
    Troglodon

I am slowly coming to understand what you all already know. Blowpipes are not worth +1 a model. I love how unique they are to us. And the idea of getting off 20 shots which hit and wound on a 6 is pretty good.

But Javelins are superior, even at a level point cost.

My 2000 point army will have 2x10 skinks and I was going to take 1 of each... but I think I have to go all all Jav. Can anyone talk me out of it?

16. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

I think the only time to take pipes is in a truly large swarm that you intend to scout and have die anyway, and you just want as many poison shots into as possible into something early on.

And even then, you were probably better served taking multiple jav/shield groups.

17. airjamy
    Salamander

airjamy Well-Known Member

I have personally really liked Elementalism. Rust and the Walls are a great way to deal with Heavy Cav in a way no other lore really does, and since we have no heavy cav off or own it is important to have a good answer. Wind blast does a lot of damage and can really screw with some flank charges/making charges impossible if you use those 2 inches well. And i do have to say, do not sleep on Phantasmal Killer, a lot of shenenigans with that one.

18. Awfulcomet
    Jungle Swarm

Awfulcomet New Member

Do you have a link to the faq, a friend plays vampires

19. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

For all we know the actual in-universe name might be Charles Muffin so what gives, right?
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/the-old-world-downloads/

airjamy likes this.
  20. RipperDerek
    Razordon

RipperDerek Active Member

Rules question, please...halp!

Skink Chief has the Poisoned Attacks rules. Unlike the other rules, it does not specify it does not apply to his mount.

upload_2024-2-12_11-20-27.png

Further, Stegadons have the Howdah rule, which says they follow the "Split Profile (Chariot)" rule. That rule says:
    • Unless noted otherwise, any special rules that apply to one element (chariot, crew or beasts) apply to the others as well.
    From this, I infer that a Skink Chief riding a Stegadon makes the Stegadon poisonous? That doesn't seem right, but I guess it is RAW?