1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOW THE OLD WORLD - Poll: Will TOW be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 22, 2019.

?

How confident are you that TOW will be a faithful successor to WFB 8th edition?

1. 0 - No chance. We're getting something completely different.

2. 1

3. 2 - Very unlikely

4. 3

5. 4

6. 5 - 50/50. It could either way

7. 6

8. 7

9. 8 - Probably

10. 9

11. 10 - 100% sure. The game will be a natural edition update of 8th.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

You're one hundred percent correct. I see zero shame in fielding an optimized list... and why should I?

Back in the day, playing with my best buddy, we both fielded the best lists we could. His best versus my best. No holds barred and may the best man win. Afterwards, we'd shake hands and have a good laugh about it. This is a uniquely weird stigma held by some members of the wargaming community. You don't really see people setting up a friendly soccer/football game but including a caveat that players can only utilize a certain percentage of their running speed. Or a chess game where you can't use your queen too often, or take advantage of a fork, etc.

As long as we all abide by the rules and play fairly/honestly, there is plenty of room for different approaches. We can either all agree to respect those different approaches of play (casual, narrative, semi-competitive, tournament competitive) or we don't. But if you choose not to, and try to shame my way of playing (as you implied), just remember that you're the one playing the game with your training wheels on. :D

airjamy likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

upload_2023-5-26_16-32-35.jpeg

3. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Yeeeeah, I'm just going to keep tinkering with Nth edition WFB until events prove I should change. (N being whatever set of rules i have access to at the time. I only have ONE WFB army, being orcs and goblins, and I've got armybooks for 5th, 6th, and 8th for them, so meh).

4. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I played 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Out of those, I feel that 6th seemed or at least felt like the most balanced.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I've never played 6th edition myself (I started in 7th), but I've heard good things about it. Most WHFB players cite either 6th or 8th as their favourite.

5th edition Herohammer has to be the worst in terms of internal balance, as the game was almost exclusively decided by characters with everything else acting as nothing more than fodder. Or so I've heard.

6. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

Yea that was pretty much it. You only took units to fill the minimum percentage and then poured all you could into characters.The character builds one could make were ridiculous, especially for wizards. If I remember correctly, the highest level slann in 5th edition had 8 ws 6 attacks at str5 or 6. I had a build where I bumped the ws to 10. I was trying to outgun my friend's Chaos army at the time.

I like 8th and 6th just about the same, at the top. 7th comes next with 5th at the bottom.

airjamy and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Interesting thought: will only the 9 "supported" armies have their classic discontinued minis brought back? What about the armies that only get free pdf rules? Will they have their old models re-released for sale?

Their statement is vague:
    "Fans of these armies can also all look forward to some shiny new miniatures that will accompany the return of many classic kits."

That can be interpreted either way.

Imrahil likes this.
  8. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Old grumbler energy intensifies ;). Don't think that will happen though, would really annoy a lot of people.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Hahaha... in this case it doesn't really bother me, my collections are essentially complete! The only models I'd be interested in are:
    • some updated sculpts (Wardancers and Warhawk riders) for my wife's Wood Elves army (which is a possibility, as they are one of the "supported" armies)
    • Chaos War Mammoth.
    I'd be pretty surprised too, but it would be funny. It's just something I came across in an article I was reading.

Imrahil, airjamy and jinjerJosh22 like this.
  10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Something from, of all things, the TOW thread on The Grand Alliance AoS forum:
    [​IMG]

Not definite confirmation of course, but it suggests GW are hopefully going to give the factions that are going to only get PDF army lists on launch more love as the game expands, to take in other regions of the Warhammer World, as per my theory, rather than being phased out which makes no logical sense.

airjamy and Imrahil like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

I don't think the fact we get PDF rules is a reason to jump off the hype train.

We got pretty much everything we wanted - this is a massive win in my eyes.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Not to worry, I'm sure there are still plenty of people who are firmly aboard the hype train.

That depends on what you wanted.

At this point I'm hoping they release some updated sculpts for my wife's 8th edition WHFB Wood Elves army. New Wardancers and Warhawk Riders would be nice. I'd take that as a small win!

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Given they're previewing every other non-40K game under the sun except Blood Bowl and Middle-Earth all in one afternoon, I doubt there will be much previewed for TOW, but every little reveal is still interesting. Plus, it's this Saturday, not long to wait!

17. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

Heard it was only a model reveal

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Any reliable source?

19. Morglum
    Chameleon Skink

Morglum Well-Known Member

Didn't they say it in their video? Atleast that is what i read in the comment section on fb. Hoping for more though

20. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

:banghead: I think I figured.... something... out.

Between COVID and Brexit, GW's planning, development, and release schedules got completely trashed, right? :shifty:

What if, because of that, GW is secretly working with the developers of Warhammer: Total War to make Warhammer: Total War IV, The Old World, to be played in the same timeline/setting as Warhammer: The Old World, and they're going to release almost concurrently??? :wideyed:

W:TW II and III were effectively expansions for W:TW I, so it makes sense for IV to be a new map with new heroes and new challenges! :meh:

What does everyone think? @NIGHTBRINGER , @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl , @Imrahil especially, am I barking up the wrong tree in the Chaos Wastes or is this a plausible theory?