1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS There might be a way to balance the game after all

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Xlanax_lot, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg

Ixt and n810 like this.
  2. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Build an army with the my battle tool, could this mean some sort of point sistem?

3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

PC version? Is there such a thing as a iOS emulator so you can use apps on a PC?
    (Has it occurred to anyone else that the AoS rollout is very unfriendly to armybuilder?)

4. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Cool! Is this a GW product or third party?

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Would Google play be the PC version ?

6. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

When's the release date?

7. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Android site equivalent/rival to iTunes ... I think.

8. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

This was an official games workshop email

Ixt likes this.
  9. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

I have no idea

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I doubt it. I don't see anything in the original post that would indicate a points system of any sort. Plus it wouldn't make much sense to release a points system purely through an app while making on mention of it in the warscrolls. Of course this is purely speculation on my part.

Slanputin, Xlanax_lot and Ixt like this.
  11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

They have an icon for it on the Apple app store. Sitting there now.
    [​IMG]
    A Siggy Hammer threatening to Bop! the imperial Aquila.

Why do I have the feeling it is more of a "add that to my cart" app than a army list maker?

Slanputin likes this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I've got the warhammer app and it has a news bit about the app this is what it says in full,

Great News- there's another free app coming really soon. And this time it's packed full of free rules and gaming aids.
    The warhammer Age of Sigmar app will have warscrolls for all your citadel Miniatures, and a tool for you to build them into an army ready for battle. All the rules are right there in the app as well, so you don't need anything else to start playing Warhammer Age of Sigmar (except some models and dice, and maybe a cold beverage or two). Wether you have an IOS and Android device, you'll soon find the app is invaluable.

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Is the one you have the same icon that I linked?

14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yep it is @pendrake

15. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I have a Windows phone :(

Iskander likes this.
  16. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

You could install BlueStacks (free Android Emulator) on a PC and run the Android version in that. I do this for Star Wars: Force Collection and it works well.

n810 likes this.
  17. Oldblood Itzahuan
    Skink

Oldblood Itzahuan Member

I actually own and use the AOS Rules app (Android). It sadly has no point system. It's useful because you can make a "list" by dragging over the warscrolls you use most frequently into a seperate little section for ultra fast reference (tho GW needs to get their team to debugging it, because it's got some silly mistakes in it... like how my Oldblood's Keywords are actually those of a Treeman Ancient. Here's hoping they catch that with the next patch! XD) However, there IS apparently a way to balance the game. GW has been sending pamphlets to various gamestores in my area with a tentative set of army building rules. While it's still a loose system, it seems far more sporting than just "put as much as you want on the table".

Basically, it all boils down to the "Keywords/Tags" at the bottom of every Warscroll. In short, the balance system restrains the total number of Warscrolls you can field, sets a hard limit on the number of wounds you can allocate to a single warscroll (so you won't have to worry about cheeselords fielding 90+ spearmen blobs), prevent unit duplication (Some exceptions apply), and restrict the number of Warscrolls you can field with the "Hero", " Cavalry" and/or "Monster" Keyword. Or, you can field one of the "army specific Battalion Formations", since those are basically all balanced out.

Here's an example Warhost Format my store is currently running:

6-8 Warscrolls
    1-3 Hero Keywords
    (unless required by Battallion)
    0-2 Monster/Cavalry Keywords (unless required by Battallion)
    30W Scroll Cap (number of wounds a single scroll can have)
    80W Hard Cap (Max Wounds per Warhost)
    No unit Duplication (unless required by Battallion)

So as an example, here's the list I field with these rules at my local gaming pub:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cohort of the Celestial Path
    Oldblood General on Foot (Suntooth Maul) <<hero keyword>>
    Skink Priest (Priestly Trappings) <<hero keyword>>
    30 Saurus (Full Command)
    10 Temple Guard (Full Command)
    5 Saurus Cavalry (Full Command) <<cavalry keyword>>
    Bastiladon (Solar Engine) <<monster keyword>>
    3 Salamanders
    2 Skink Handlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's 2 Hero Keywords, 1 Monster Keyword, 1 Cavalry Keyword, 8 Warscrolls with No Duplicate units and 80 Wounds total. Not bad for a couple of minutes.
    Likewise, when I'm not playing this list, I tend to play the Saurus Host Battalion List straight out of the book. Ignoring Battleshock on 3 Units of Saurus and Temple Guard, all of whom have even more attacks than usual, is pretty sweet.

I know there are other methods about, but this method is the best I've come across so far. Food for thought.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    n810 likes this.
  18. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

I have the app it just puts the warscrolls your using onto 1 page so they are easily accessible during battle, also use it on a tablet, the mobile version is nowhere near as good. Tablet shows full warscroll on 1 page where the phone splits them across 4-5 pages. Doesn't add points or lists of any sort. Yet.

1 way to add balance to the game is just say take £200 quids worth of units to the battle. Seems the price of models ties in nicely to there effectiveness on the battlefield and the numbers of models in units. Not the best way but if you want some form of system to be used its worth looking into.

19. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I can see your train of thought there, but the idea of bringing in monetary evaluations in the game in order to assemble some idea of balance makes me itchy.

20. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

I agree, so far I have found just sticking to the rules is fine, we have had fair balanced battles and neither me nor my opponent have felt we have been screwed over by the rules. As long as you're with a like minded opponent/friend and you both want a fun game then you're good to go.

It was mainly a suggestion for those who seem adamant that this game has to have some form of points values.