1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Tombomb7 - Irish Lizards Battle reports

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Tombomb7, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Tombomb7
    Cold One

Tombomb7 Well-Known Member

It's good motivation to record these battle reports to encourage learning from mistakes and play more games!

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek
    LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell : Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Old and Grizzled
    - Allies
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell : Hand of Glory
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell : Hand of Glory
    Terradon Chief (70)
    UNITS
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (330)
    6 x Terradon Riders (180)
    - Sunleech Bolas
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    6 x Terradon Riders (180)
    - Sunleech Bolas
    ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)
    TOTAL: 1970/2000 WOUNDS: 140
    LEADERS: 5/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 0/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
    ARTEFACTS: 0/1 ENDLESS SPELLS: 2/3 ALLIES: 140/400

vs Kharadron Overlords
    - Barak Zifflin
    - Admiral
    - Ironclad with Thunderers
    - x3 Frigates with unit of Arkanauts in each
    - x1 Gunhauler

Game 1 - Places of Arcane Power

I placed the Realmshaper Engine as close to the centre as possible and took the deployment side nearest the Engine.

KO deployed well within his diagonal deployment zone. Out of charge and turn 1 spell range.
    My army was stacked as close to the centre of the table. I needed to close the gap to his ships as soon as possible or risk being shot off the board before I could gain enough points.
    My plan was to run to the centre point with the bulk of my force and send my Carnosaur and a unit of knights to hold the one of my left.

Turn 1

I ran the 5 man unit of knights forward and ran the x10 knights block right behind them. Salamanders held behind the knights and Kroak plus Saurus guards weighed in behind the main block of 10 knights.
    First priest hopped into the Realshaper while the second sat on the right to help with Kroaks range.
    Geminids deployed at the centre to prevent easy access to the centre objective directly in front.
    Left objective and centre objective secured.

KO moved his ships to my right with the Frigate including the Admiral + his arkanaut squad landing on the objective to my right. Shots fired from the ships and thunderers do some damage but scaly skin is highly effective combined with the AB 6+ feel no pain. Only several knights are killed in total. The gunhauler jumps to my rear for some sniping. It was ineffective.

Turn 2
    KO gets the double turn!
    This time all but 2 of the 5 knights in the centre are slain.
    Only 1 of the 10 man knights unit survives the barrage
    A couple of wounds are done to the Scar Vet on Cold One

Ironclad and Thunderers are dangerous.
    Mortals start to come through from Kroak, Sallies, Geminids, Realmshaper. The frigates are hurt and two go down, with Sallies doing massive damage to the first in the shooting phase and the second in the combat phase. Small damage done to the Ironclad.
    Moved Kroak tower onto the centre objective as the Scar Vet and Skink priest could both be killed next turn. I suicide the Scar Vet into the Frigate to avoid Kroak Tower taking shots. The lone Saurus Knights charges into the Arkanuts on the hill above the centre objective.
    I decided to use the 5 knights on the left objective to hassle the Gunhauler. Moving and making the charge with a re-roll. Carno stays on the left objective to safeguard.
    The Admiral and Arkanauts are sitting on the right objective and I can't get to it.
    Turn 2-3 images 20200926_230240.jpg 5 Saurus knights charge into the gunhauler in the bottom left. Caro sits on the left objectives, Kroak tower positioned to control the centre objective. Scar Vet on CO suicides into the Frigate. The lone Saurus Knights takes on the Arkanut unit on the hill. allies are exposed for shooting by the Admiral and his Arkanaut unit.

20200926_033656.jpg The third and final Frigate is destroyed and the crew are forced to complete an emergency dis-embark 20200926_230844.jpg Carnosaur babysitting the left objective for the entire game. 20200926_024258.jpg Arkanuat unit and Admiral control the right objective. 20200926_024250.jpg Lone Saurus Knight charges headlong into a full unit of Arkanauts.

Turn 5
    The Iron Clad positioned itself by the right objective, with the Sallies going down to shots from the floating ship, plus Admiral and Arkanauts who charged the Sallies. The sallies ran, but took a enough of the dwarves with them, Kroak finished the Admiral and Arkanuat unit off.

The game ended in a major Seraphon victory, since I controlled the centre and left objectives for the whole game.

What I learned:

• Balewind Vortex wasn't used because I needed to move Kroak during at least two turns. I didn't cast it after Kroak landed on the centre objective between turn 3 and 4, which I should have done.
    • The Carnosaur was wasted on the left objective, but I wasn't to know he would focus on the right and centre objectives, leaving the left unopposed. The 5 knights who supported the Carno on the left could have been used on the right or to bolster the centre objective, but I felt they provided a further deterrent on the left to ensure I earned maximum points from it.
    • Coalesced Scaly skin is amazing, particulary vs multi-damage units like those from KO
    • The AB is also crucial for spell range and spell strength, not just the 6+ feel no pain save
    • Sallies were devastating and on par with damage from Kroak. I can see why we should think about taking two full units of Sallies
    • I buffed my Saurus Guard a lot in the first turn, expecting Korak to be heavily targeted, but the attacks were focused on the Saurus Knights, so really I should have buffed them instead
    • The Realmshaper when placed in the centre and with luck on your side, is very useful
    • Knights didn't get the opportunity to show what they could do thanks to KOs double turn between 1 and 2. They did however soak a huge amount of damage thanks to Scaly Skink and the AB 6+ feel no pain.
    • I missed the mobility of the old tome, it was difficult to get close to KO with all of their movement abilities, even when I charged the 5 Saurus Knights at the Gunhauler in my backline, it simply flew high and away to safety
    • Kroak's mortal wounds were wonderful, KO have poor anti-spell caster ability so I was unopposed in my casting. Over the course of the battle he managed to inflict heavy damage
    • The Saurus Guard didn't do a thing, except to stay beside the AB and Kroak. I'd do this again, but not buff them so much next time since KO doesn't seem to target Kroak. This is good, as last tome heroes like our Slann or Kroak would be targeted as a priority. We now have multiple threats in each game so there's less pressure on these vital heroes
    • I like that we have more credible threats each game, in this case I had Kroak, Sallies, the Carno and the Saurus knights as four different credible threats
    • Mortal wounds are a primary source of damage for Serpahon
    • Geminids weren't fully effective given the mobility of KO, they bypassed Geminids for the most part, so the the spell caused damage to maybe 50% of maximum possible across the battle
    • I don't know how tough the Kroak tower is on taking damage yet since it wasn't attacked, so don't know if I do need to buff the Guard and protect against Kroak assassinations
    • I wonder if I placed my starpriest too far forward but wanted Kroak to cast through him, so it was a calculated risk that needed to be taken
    KO roll poorly at times for some of the high damage shots, then again it was counterbalanced by KO getting the double turn. I'd like to try this list again, buffing knights to make them even more tanky. I need to figure out if Balewind is worth taking given I moved Kroak, also when to place Geminids. Geminids was placed to protect the centre objective and I guess it did enough with board control alone, as KO moved to the right of the board and focused on the right objective, whilst trying to depose me from the centre

I think there was enough bodies on my side of the field to contend the objectives effectively enough
    KO thought sallies were incredible, scaly skin was amazing and the mortal spam was nuts

I'd like to write more impressive reports, this at least gives me a start!...

Next battle to report is KO vs Seraphon (there will only be KO v Serpahon since this is all we have! :D)

My army will be 12 Terradons, 40 skinks, Sallies + Kroak Tower vs a similar KO army.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Imrahil likes this.
  2. Tombomb7
    Cold One

Tombomb7 Well-Known Member

Battle Report

FOS Seraphon vs KO

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek
    LEADERS
    Lord Kroak (320)